PDA

View Full Version : "Flashing" or gill rubbing behavior in Discus - is it normal or an early infection?

DiscBuff
12-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey all -
I have 5 discus ranging from 3 inches to 5 inches in a 55 gallon planted tank with 20% daily water changes. I have witnessed all of them "flashing" or rubbing their gills on plant leaves occasionally (on average every half hour or so per fish, especially after feedings). The last pair of discus was introduced about 3 weeks ago and seemed healthy when I got them from a local breeder. I don't see abnormally rapid gill respiration or using only one gill to suggest heavy fluke infestation. They are otherwise healthy and eating well. Has anyone kept discus in a planted tank and seen this behavior?

White Worm
12-17-2008, 12:34 AM
You would be better off changing a larger amount of water every couple of days. It also sounds like you dont QT new fish which leaves the chance open for bringing in illness. Young fish and planted tanks dont match up very well. Young discus need plenty of clean water while adults can handle a less than ideal environment easier. Clean water should take care of minor irritations.

DiscBuff
12-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll switch up my water changes to every other day 50% and see if that helps.