PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank dangerous?

Yassmeena
12-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Hi everyone....

I've had a 55 gallon BB glass aquarium in my living room for 4 months now, which I bought used from a man who had it up and running for over 5 years.

I never gave it much thought until now, but I notice that the glass has a couple of scatches in it (maybe about 6 or 7), and I am starting to question its safety. Note: tank is level (give or take less than 1/8 an inch), the stand is anchored into studs in the wall and when I run my fingernail over the scratches I can not feel surface irregularity, I can only see the scratches.

Are your tanks totally scratch free?

Does anyone have any experiences with the glass shattering in a running tanke? If so, what induced the shattering - was it a chronic slow brewing thing, or was it an impact of some sort?

Thanks!

William Palumbo
12-17-2008, 01:39 AM
ALL my tanks are scatched to some degree...some even small chips on the edges. I think some light scratches should be just fine...cracks are another thing!...Bill

Patr1ck
12-17-2008, 02:45 AM
I would say that if you cant catch you fingernails in them, then they are fine. Mine have scratches in them too.

P

Graham
12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
My 175 has more scratches than I care to think about; it's 25 years old:)

Don Trinko
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
My dad was in the glass buisiness. I worked for him for years. You do not have a problem. Don T.

pcsb23
12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
The tank will be fine :)

Darrell Ward
12-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Should be fine. Most of my tanks have many scratches and water stains. Distracts from asthetics, but not functionality.

Yassmeena
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks everyone!

deanne
12-20-2008, 01:12 PM
My used 55 gallon has what looks like a stretch-mark. Someone once called it a stress-crack. It is about 6 inches long in the middle of the glass and hasn't changed in the year and a half that I've had it set up. I'm hoping I'm fine too.

Don Trinko
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
If this is a true crack ( going the entire depth of the glass, not just on the surface) uneven pressure near the crack may cause the cract to run. (increase in lenth). I would be carefull not to bump the tank with anything.
My family was in the glass buissiness. When we repaired broken storefront windows we would tap the cracks to make them go to the edge. Taking a large peice of glass out ( store front window)with a crack in it is dangerous. The window can break into peices while you are carrying it. Not Good, I can assure you!
I have seen a large window with cracks in it collapse on someones arm. He got many stitches and a trip to the hospital. Don T.