PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Salt for new fish

thewarning
12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
When getting discus by mail. Is it a good idea to use aquarium salt to combat stress?

William Palumbo
12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I think it's a good idea...one of the sponsors I got fish from recommends it...usually 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water...Bill

ShinShin
12-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I also think that adding a malachite green/formalin product is a very smart thing to do as well. It can be used with the salt.

Mat

Eddie
12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Mat,

In a short dip or less concentrated solution for a longer period of time?

Thanks

Eddie

ShinShin
12-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I just add the amount on the label into the whole tank. I usually do it for three days.

Mat

Eddie
12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mat, much appreciated!

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes, salt is always a good idea to use when receiving new fish. Not very much is needed (1tablespoon/10 gallons)....just enough to stimulate the slime coat on the fish. Using the malachite green/formalin combo in addition may be a good idea as well, depending on condition the fish are received in.

-Ryan

pherfect
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Mat, what's the name on the bottle of the malachite green/formalin you use? If I asked before I shoud've written it down:o
-Chris

Eddie
12-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Mat, what's the name on the bottle of the malachite green/formalin you use? If I asked before I shoud've written it down

I have Kordon Rid Ich+

Specifications
Contains formaldehyde (11.52% formalin) U.S. P. grade 4.26% and premium quality aquaculture-grade zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green 0.038%. The ingredients meet United States Pharmacopoeia science-based quality standards for health care. The U.S. P. is the official public standards-setting authority for all prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines and other healthcare products. Made in the U.S.A.

Eddie

ShinShin
12-18-2008, 10:25 PM
QuickCure is the brand I have now. It doesn't matter to me which I get. I just get whatever the store has that I happen to be in when I need it.

I use it whenever I get shipped fish even if they look okay upon arrival. I have had fish breakdown 2-3 days after I have received them. I don't always use salt, in fact, only ocasionally.

Mat

Graham
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Going to have to disagree a bit here

1st.... aquarium salt is a complete rip off ...use any salt that you have on hand as long as it doesn't have YPS in it...table salt will do

2nd..... 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon is 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons....this is nothing, barely above ambient levels. 1 teaspoon per gallon is 0.1%, so 3 per 10 would be 0.03%.............. I doubt that it would stimulate anything, including mucus production. It definately wouldn't help with anything bacterial or parasite wise. It would barley help with osmoregulation if at all.

3rd nothing is needed for new fish but really good water...then if something is identified as a problem then use an appropiate med. shotgunning chems and meds at a stressed fish probably kills more than it ever helps.

Mat, I love QC but only when it's needed....

G

Eddie
12-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi at this point I would try a parasite chem....a good shotgun chem is a formalin/malachite green combo.

Sorry Graham...this is a quote from one of your replies in the disease/medication section.

This thread
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=484688#post484688

Please don't contradict yourself.

Eddie

ShinShin
12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
I am not looking for a shotgun approach to prevent an unknown pathogen. The MG/F is used specifically for protozoans that attack stressed discus during shipping. I agree about the salt, esp. aquarium salt, which most of us know in rock salt.

Mat

Patr1ck
12-19-2008, 04:12 AM
When getting discus by mail. Is it a good idea to use aquarium salt to combat stress?

Ive never used it. Only put them in the QT for a few weeks (4-6) for observation. If problems develop then I take action. I believe the best medicine that you can add to a tank with a sick fish in it is good clean water very frequently. If that doesnt help than I would look into meds. If I was QTing a wild it would be a different story.:)

When I recieve new fish I keep the light off for the first day and dont feed for the first day either, they usually wont touch the food anyway.:D

HTH,
P

Graham
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry Graham...this is a quote from one of your replies in the disease/medication section.

This thread
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=484688#post484688

Please don't contradict yourself.

Eddie

No contradiction...In the thread that you linked to, the poster was having a problem and the meds that he was using were not working. Hence my ''at this point I would try'' comment.

What I don't agree with is medicating, salt included, fish for no apperant reason other than they've been shipped or simply put into a QT. If the fish was healthy going into the bag, was packed properly, then he should come in the same shape. Good clean water will clean up or prevent any possible problems..

As an example back in Oct I bought 11 fish back from Glynnbrook farms. They were packed at 7am Sunday morning, driven to Ottawa and then shipped via air down to me on Monday. They got into the tank around 2pm. They came out of the box looking every bit as good as when they went in 30 some hours earlier. They stayed healthy and never had a problem.

Needless to say this would be somewhat different with a dealer bringing in hundreds of fish, but even then, good water is most of the battle

G

Roxanne
12-20-2008, 06:15 AM
...I bought 11 fish back from Glynnbrook farms. They were packed at 7am Sunday morning, driven to Ottawa and then shipped via air down to me on Monday. They got into the tank around 2pm. They came out of the box looking every bit as good as when they went in 30 some hours earlier. They stayed healthy and never had a problem...
G

Hi Graham:)

I was curious about this and I forgot to test the "bag" water in my last purchase so I have no idea...is the concentration of ammonia in the bag water high enough to do any harm? And, is there anything "special" placed in the bag to detoxify any ammonia buildup like ammolock or something? I just wonder, because if we are supposed to do lots of water changes to combat toxicity build up, there doesn't seem to be enough water in the bag, to my mind, to keep ammonia from being too concentrated..and becoming more so the longer they are in the bag. I know you said yours were looking really good after 30 hours so I guess the question is half answered but would there be an additive such as I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance Graham;)

Roxanne

Graham
12-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Rox, no additives. As the CO2 builds up in the bag, the pH of the water gradually drops, getting down into the low 6's. Once it goes below 7.0 just about all the ammonia NH3 is changed to ammonium NH4.

Ammonium is harmless to fish. Once that bag is opened and O2/CO2 gas exchange starts, it's critical to get the fish out of the bag water ASAP. As that pH climbs back up any and all ammonia will become more toxic.

G

Roxanne
12-20-2008, 11:54 AM
....and cue the theme song....

Makes good sense, Thanks G

Rox:)

Darrell Ward
12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I have never added salt to discus. It's not necessary IMO. When I get new fish, I take the unopened bag and float it in the tank to balance the temp. I then open the bag, remove the fish, and release it in the tank. I discard the bag water. "Plop and drop". It's the best way to avoid exposing new fish to ammonia IMO. I've never had a problem with this method. Healthy fish will almost always adjust quickly on their own.

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi

Alot of Simply members find salt useful in healing fins that may have been damaged during shipping...Carol Roberts recommended it in her sticky too...makes good sense if you think about it like a mouth gargle for ulcers in humans that assists healing & prevents/arrests infection/fungus....

Rox:)

Eddie
12-22-2008, 03:13 PM
I have never added salt to discus. It's not necessary IMO.

Adding salt my not be necessary, but it's more like Rox says...a bit therapuetic :)

Eddie