PDA

View Full Version : Discus Rookie (Help)

9point
12-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok, I am new to the forum and relatively new to discus. I was really into freshwater tanks when I was in college (late 80's) and then got out of everything when the family started. I have wanted to get back into it forever and have just taken the plunge. I recently set up a 120g tank in the basement and want to make it a discus tank. When I had discus 20 years ago I just checked the water for ph and did 10% water changes once a week. After reading though posts on this forum it appears that things have changed significantly or perhaps I did things wrong in the past. Anyway, i want to do it right and need some advice. The 120 has two heaters; 200w and 250w. And two filters; Marineland Magnum 350 canister and a H.O.T. Magnum hang-on. It's been up an running for 1 week with 6 tetras and 5 rummynose in it. Nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia are good. Ph is still a little high and I am working on that with discus buffer.

Q. Is it really necessary to do 50% water changes daily with discus? That just seems like a lot.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

marnold
12-21-2008, 05:35 PM
No In my opinion 50% a day is not needed.I have a 90 gal with 6 discus 20 rummys two bnp and a pair of apisto's.I do 15-20% ounce a week or so.Usally the ones doing 50% are raising young discus in bb tanks and feeding 4-5 times a day.

aquadiva
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
The amount of water changes you need to do depend greatly upon how many fish you have in your tank. The more heavily stocked, the more water changes you need to do. If you want to maximize growth in younger Discus, feed often and do water changes as often as possible. I would consider adding another filter on, perhaps an Aquaclear 110 or something else that you choose. The more filtration the better. Or, you could just throw a large sponge filter in there for the bio. The HOT magnum is great for polishing. I use that constantly with the micron cartridge to keep the water clean and change it out every week or so. I'm not sure I would mess with the PH if I were you. Mine is 7.6 and my Discus are thriving. It comes out of the tap that way and I don't do anything to it. You are better off keeping it consistant rather than relying on a buffer. JMO though as I don't know how high your PH is. Don't add too many Discus all at once or you may experience an ammonia surge. The Neons and Rummy's won't build the bio bed that fast as they are small. Good luck and have fun with your Discus. I don't think there is any set rule for water changes, the more the better but you can also do them once, twice a week if you don't overstock.

Anna :)

9point
12-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks! I don't plan on having a bb tank as I have already put some gravel in it with driftwood and a few plants. Been looking at discus from twofishguys; they look to be pretty good. If I buy 2" discus should I put them in a smaller tank before putting in my 120? Also, how many could I keep in a 120g tank once they are grown? I am also going to set up a 55g soon but wanted to get this up and running 1st. Thanks

rickztahone
12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks! I don't plan on having a bb tank as I have already put some gravel in it with driftwood and a few plants. Been looking at discus from twofishguys; they look to be pretty good. If I buy 2" discus should I put them in a smaller tank before putting in my 120? Also, how many could I keep in a 120g tank once they are grown? I am also going to set up a 55g soon but wanted to get this up and running 1st. Thanks

i am also a rookie :D. i would however input with the knowledge i've gained from members here. first off, a 120 is too big to grow out juvies, you are better off setting up your 55 to grow them out. do BB on that one and do the frequent water changes on that which is much less than doing it on the 120. when i started i started with a 55 as well, i had all sorts of stuff in there, rocks, plants, UGF, gravel, many things you shouldn't have. I removed all the stuff members told me i didn't need and it's made things much better. i would've started with a BB and grown out my juvies that way, but like i said, i didn't know. it's too late for me but i'm setting up my 125 currently and i will use my 55 to grow out 4 more juvies from a sponsor in my area. i didn't give up on the discus i currently have but i feel they would have been better had i read up here before hand. i didn't know about this site though, so there's my excuse :p. good luck in your venture

rickztahone
12-22-2008, 12:35 AM
oh, and as far as how many you can keep in a 120, the rule of thumb is 1 discus per 10 gallons. so in theory you can have 12 but the bio-load on that would be heavy IMO. make sure you have proper filtration that will be able to cope with the load. i currently have a Rena XP3 and a HOB filter from my 55, i'm planning on getting another XP3 and i just bought a hydor 300w inline heater for it. i can't wait to finishing up my setup.

Eddie
12-22-2008, 12:44 AM

Everybody does what works best for them. You'll find what works best for you with time. BB tanks are best for ease of cleaning. I would use your 55 to grow them out with only using a sponge filter or 2. You can feed them heavily and change water frequently if required. The key is low nitrates so if you need to do WCs daily to keep the nitrates low, then thats your requirement. I'm sure with only 6 ea 2" discus you could keep your nitrates low. I would do 50% daily if I had a set-up that made it easy. Once your fish get larger, 4 or 5" I would toss them in the 120 community. JMO

Eddie

White Worm
12-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Its simple... Do alot of water changes on young discus in a BB tank until they grow out. Dont put a bunch of decoration and crap in this extravagant tank with young discus. I know everyone wants to have it all at once but you will regret it in the long run. If you want a nice show tank right away, save your pennies and get adults and then they can handle the less than ideal conditions with fewer w/c's, substrate, decore, etc. You want the best conditions possible when growing young discus and once they have grown, you can finally have that show tank. If you are not sure how much is enough.....do more than you think they need and then adjust as you gain experience. The discus will let you know by their behavior rather quickly if you are doing something wrong. Just browse the illness threads and you will see people wondering why they are having problems and sick fish eventually when doing minimum w/c's weekly. Discus are not your everyday fresh water fish. Understand that this is what you inherit when keeping the King.

9point
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
What are your thoughts on putting a divider in my 120g tank and section off say a 30g area for the new fish? Perhaps keeping the sectioned off side bb and then as the discus become comfortable with the surroundings and put on some size then remove the divider?

Eddie
12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
What are your thoughts on putting a divider in my 120g tank and section off say a 30g area for the new fish? Perhaps keeping the sectioned off side bb and then as the discus become comfortable with the surroundings and put on some size then remove the divider?

Yeah, I guess that works but it is just a tiny bit more cleaning on your part. It will do though, I think. Whatever works best for you!

Eddie

White Worm
12-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Still wont change the fact that you will need to do some frequent large wc's. At least you will be able to see the waste better to remove it. I would silicone the bottom of the tank inside and press a light layer of sand into the silicone and remove the loose stuff. It would cover the botton plus give you a nice look with ease of cleaning. Or you could paint the bottom outside of the tank a sand color... gives a nice look to the eye but keeps the bottom bare.

steve.ryall
01-02-2009, 06:47 AM
No QT then??