PDA

View Full Version : Bullied to Death

gotfish?
12-21-2008, 11:22 PM
so fish A constantly bullies fish B, i seperated the two with a divider before but since my heater broke all my fish are condensed in my grow out tank. so heres the thing, i thought that having them with 6 other fish would spread the aggression evenly towards other fish but fish A will not bully any other fish other than fish B, the poor fish is always stressed and battered, im afraid that the fish might get bullied to death. i really dont know what to do at this point since i dont have another tank to seperate the two...any suggestions, opinions, comments, violent reaction?LOL:D

hasitha
12-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Adding more fish would spread the aggression I think. though if this guy who get bullied could get pecked by others too if he is smallar. But till i think its your best option.

gotfish?
12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
they are with 6 other fish, though 1-2" smaller. seem to be only focused on bullying one fish and one single particular fish only.

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi:)

If you take the bully out for a few minutes(bagged or whatever) then re release him into the tank, it might shift the balance of power...worth a try cos I have a very bossy BD and he goes into the naughty net (inside the same tank) for some time out, comes out with a better attitude, and gives the others a break.....but, if I take him out of the tank and put him back later, he is not aggressive anymore...for a while...til I ain't looking anyway...

hth
Rox

Eddie
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
If you take the bully out for a few minutes(bagged or whatever) then re release him into the tank, it might shift the balance of power...worth a try cos I have a very bossy BD and he goes into the naughty net (inside the same tank) for some time out, comes out with a better attitude, and gives the others a break.....but, if I take him out of the tank and put him back later, he is not aggressive anymore...for a while...til I ain't looking anyway...

Roxanne's method works for sure but in the long run, your bully will still be a bully. The only thing you can hope for is a natural shift the pecking order with growth. My 2 smallest fish became the bullies after a few months and now they rule the tank.

HTH
Eddie

gotfish?
12-22-2008, 12:14 AM
i really dont mind bullying when its done evenly in the group, but in this case only one single fish gets battered, and he gets it through out the day, every single day from the same fish.

Eddie
12-22-2008, 12:23 AM
I have not experienced a total annihilation of another fish from one fish so I cannot help you with that. Maybe the one fish is ill? It probably will become ill in the end. If you remove the fish, he will not do well on his own. Kind of a lose lose situation unless you have another group of smaller discus to put him with, but then you'll have another getting bullied. :)

Eddie

rfeiller
12-22-2008, 01:26 AM
discus have long memories. i have had two fish that didn't get along seperated them for several months in different aquariums, then put them back together they recognized each other immediately and carried on from where they left off. this has happened on several occassions, not just one fish.

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
start another tank with a couple of little buddies smaller than him?? Oh, darn, you need another tank!!;):D

I couldn't watch that on a daily basis, I'd have to move him, or something, that's just me..Good Luck with whatever you decide and let us know how the poor little guy does?

12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=rfeiller;488225]discus have long memories. i have had two fish that didn't get along seperated them for several months in different aquariums, then put them back together they recognized each other immediately and carried on from where they left off. this has happened on several occassions, not just one fish.[/QUOTE

I too have one discus that would go out of it's way to bully one particular fish. In the interest of the victim, I moved the victim of the bullying to a 75 gal community. In the end, either getting another tank or finding a new home for one or the other might be necessary. Simply moving one or the other and then re- introducing them is not always successful. Though I have had it work for other fish.:mad: My concern for the victim was it was not allowed to eat without constant harrasment and the bully stealing it's food. The victim of the agression seems quite content in the 75 gal with german rams, bleeding heart tetras, black phantom tetras, white clouds, corys, clown pleco (2) and kuhli loaches.

moik
12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I have 1 fish ,a beautiful White butterfly. This fish is such a bully . No matter what tank I put him in he causes total Caos. He disrupts the whole tank. So he is in own tank by himself. He has been in there for monthes and been wondering if I should bother with keeping him alive. Some days when he was with other fish ,I would see what does to other fish and all I wanted to do was give him a good SQUEEZE with my hand. LOL

Eddie
12-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I have 1 fish ,a beautiful White butterfly. This fish is such a bully . No matter what tank I put him in he causes total Caos. He disrupts the whole tank. So he is in own tank by himself. He has been in there for monthes and been wondering if I should bother with keeping him alive. Some days when he was with other fish ,I would see what does to other fish and all I wanted to do was give him a good SQUEEZE with my hand. LOL

Damn Moik, doesn't that constitute for animal cruelty. :(

I'd never want to end a discus's life because he was the strongest of my fish. Its just like that in nature too. I'd keep him with the others or throw a group of big dogs with him. My community tank has 3 ea 2" BDs that will fight all my 4" fish. ;)

Eddie

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
.....I wanted to do was give him a good SQUEEZE with my hand. LOL

:D:D:D:D Sorry, but I see the funny side of that... seeing as he said he WANTED to squeeze naughty fish, he didn't actually do it...I can understand him wanting to protect the other fish...

I expect them to bully each other, as long as no one gets hurt, or sick..I break up the fighting between mine if it get's too much, but I don't SQUEEZE either....:D:D:D

Rox:)

Eddie
12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Guess I never wanted to SQUEEZE my discus. :o

Eddie

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh Eddie do you think I'm a meany now?:bandana:I say I want to squeeze Calypso's face cos it's cute & chubby, but I don't do it, but I can't hug her, so a squeeze is the next best thing lolol:D:D

Eddie
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh Eddie do you think I'm a meany now?I say I want to squeeze Calypso's face cos it's cute & chubby, but I don't do it, but I can't hug her, so a squeeze is the next best thing lolol

No way Rox, don't think you are a meany. :rolleyes:

Eddie

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh that's good to hear...;)

The thought of squeezing them is funny..the actual squeezing of the discus I would not think was funny...sorry, it must be the time of the nite/morning when I find silly things hilarious...

Rox:)

Sandy W
12-26-2008, 12:12 PM
What if one fish is bullying EVERYBODY--even the bigger fish?
Sandy

Roxanne
12-26-2008, 01:07 PM
...like my little BD...;)

Example: I took the 4 one year olds inc mr bossy and moved them to another tank...I released the other 3 before him into the tank and now Miss Shy rules the roost!! And she chases mr bossy everywhere now...he isn't allowed to breathe her water....the balance of power has shifted...

Rox