PDA

View Full Version : Plastic storage tank,

seanyuki
12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Need some advice....gonna to get a plastic 1500 gallons storage to age water and could you recommend a reliable heater & what wattage should i be getting.
Will be putting this storage tank in the garage.

The storage tank.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2736

Cheers
Francis:)

Don Trinko
12-22-2008, 12:50 PM
5 watts per gallon is the normal rating but it depends on the outside temp and insulation. Not much help I know but no one else responded yet. Don T.

dishpanhands
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I would look into a tankless heater and a mixing value. just heat it as you use it..you will need a pump, but it would be cheaper in the long run to not to try to heat and keep warm that much water..

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 01:49 PM
1500 gallons storage to age water

Hi
1500 gal is HUGE...wow, how big is your tank??
Can I ask why you need one so big? I mean, the bigger it is, the more heating power etc, do you need to heat it while it is aging?
Sorry, feel like I'm interrogating you....you might have lots of tanks or something...just curious..

Rox:)

rickztahone
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Need some advice....gonna to get a plastic 1500 gallons storage to age water and could you recommend a reliable heater & what wattage should i be getting.
Will be putting this storage tank in the garage.

The storage tank.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2736

Cheers

do you have a pond or something? that is HUGE. Pics of your tank(s)?

TankWatcher
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I have 1 1000L storage tank. I have surrounded it with insulation bats & then wrapped the bats in plastic sheeting, to help protect it from splashes. I found that 1 x 300W Jaeger heater easily does the job.

Roxy, why do I have so much. So that I can do 50% wc on all 3 tanks in the one night. I keep my heater running all the time, so I am ready to do wc at any time. In summer here, the problem will be more how to cool the water down, rather than the other way. I debated whether to just turn the heater on 24hrs before a wc, or leave it on. Leaving it on means it only has to maintain, not start from scratch. I asked what other pple do (on another forum) & only got 1 reply from a discus breeder in QLD, who said he leaves his on all the time. Since then, I have always had occupants in the 100L QT, which needs daily WC, so because of that, I always leave the heater on. You'd have to assess your own situation as to when you need to turn the heater on, but I would recommend insulating it.

seanyuki
12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Rox,

Not so many tanks

one 20 gallons
one 40 gallons
two 55 gallons
four 75 gallons
one 90 gallons

add four more 90 & four 40 gallons tanks after Christmas....hopefully doing water changes twice a day......I do heat the water while aging it.

Cheers

Hi
1500 gal is HUGE...wow, how big is your tank??
Can I ask why you need one so big? I mean, the bigger it is, the more heating power etc, do you need to heat it while it is aging?
Sorry, feel like I'm interrogating you....you might have lots of tanks or something...just curious..

Rox:)

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I have 1 1000L storage tank. I have surrounded it with insulation bats & then wrapped the bats in plastic sheeting, 1 x 300W Jaeger heater easily does the job.
.. I have so much. So that I can do 50% wc on all 3 tanks in the one night. ..........occupants in the 100L QT, which needs daily WC, so because of that, I always leave the heater on.

Yeah I get that if you have lots of tanks, you'd need lots of water, which is why I was asking him how big his fish tank is......;)

guess insulation keeps it from running flat out too huh? there you go people, keep em wrapped!!:D

dishpan's heat as you need sounds rather efficient too...

Roxanne

Roxanne
12-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Rox,

Not so many tanks

one 20 gallons
one 40 gallons
two 55 gallons
four 75 gallons
one 90 gallons

add four more 90 & four 40 gallons
:)

lolol...:D:D:D

make your storage tank a big tea cosy like Robyn did(Tankwatcher);)

TankWatcher
12-23-2008, 01:30 AM
make your storage tank a big tea cosy like Robyn did(Tankwatcher) Hmm, tea cosy, wish it looked half as nice your description ..... in reality

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/Odd%20Bods/000_0798.jpg

pretty sad looking, but it does the job :)

Eddie
12-23-2008, 03:45 AM
.hopefully doing water changes twice a day

Your plan is to do 2 each 100% WCs daily? What do you do now Francis if you don't mind me asking...:o

Thanks

Eddie

Ed13
12-23-2008, 08:10 AM
WOW, Francis is going big time! LOL
Ok, as far as heating and insulation look up Jack's (Discus KC) setup thread.
For the storage tank you'll have look around in you town and neighboring towns. In my case I found non equivalent prices on them. For example I got two 200g tanks, each one was cheaper than the 150g version and the two 200g were still cheaper than the 400g. If I add a third 200g tank in order to get a total of 600g, it will still be cheaper than to get a 600gal tank. I like it this way because I can isolate them. Since mine sit on the roof, space is not an issue, in your case it might be different, that's why I recommend to shop around.

Good luck!

Roxanne
12-23-2008, 08:30 AM
The last three threads just went from funny to funniest in 2 seconds...I was still laughing at Robyn's when I read Eddies, laughing harder then Ed floored me...

Laughing at Robyn's storage tank cos it looks like one of my own creations...(for the wife of a builder, I'm pretty darn dodgy...I'll share a funny photo of my homemade filter when I get off the laptop & back on my PC...)

Eddie, is still trying to do get Francis to do the maths on Francis's set up..:D

Ed with the creative accounting...:D

..I can see the screen now that I've stopped crying!:D:D

..it can't be 1500gal surely? that's like 6250 litres???? try 6 heaters x 300w???

:confused:

Ed13
12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Ed with the creative accounting...:D

..it can't be 1500gal surely? that's like 6250 litres???? try 6 heaters x 300w???

:confused:
Gotta do what you've gotta do:D

BTW, if he wants to do 100% twice a day 1,500gal (5,700 litres) it may not be enough;) with the number of tanks he is planning, unless he spaces the water changes apart enough time to allow temp to raise and let the water stabilze. Meaning really good insulation, big watt water heaters, and a really strong pump to move that water and aerate it fast enough. That's why I much rather have various tanks instead of a really big one.

Robyn's tank did bring a smile to my face, but in a good way!;)

seanyuki
12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi Ed,

Many thanks for your info...knowing my wife ....why get 3 small one and could just just get one big one......i have seen Jack's water storage but that's too much for me to handle....I just a discus beginner..

Cheers

seanyuki
12-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Eddie,

Ohayou ...:D
Just doing one water 75% to 80 % daily watching the condition of each tank............each tank have it feeding schedule depending the size of the fish....waking up 4 am to do water changes is no joke.....that's why I need a plastic storage to maintain a supply of heated aged water.

Cheers

Your plan is to do 2 each 100% WCs daily? What do you do now Francis if you don't mind me asking...:o

Thanks

Eddie

Eddie
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Just doing one water 75% to 80 % daily watching the condition of each tank............each tank have it feeding schedule depending the size of the fish....waking up 4 am to do water changes is no joke.....that's why I need a plastic storage to maintain a supply of heated aged water.

I get it now Francis. That is alot work. Good luck on the new set-up.

Eddie

TankWatcher
12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
:o:p:o
from this

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/Odd%20Bods/971e_11.jpg

to this, the dodgy creation of a wife of an accountant ;)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/Odd%20Bods/000_0798.jpg

I will start knitting a tea cosy cover soon, so that no-one laughs anymore :argue: but I will need a lot of wool :D

I didn't notice before, that we were talking US G, not litres. That sure is a lot of water & will take up a lot of space & use big watts to heat.

Mine was bought 2nd hand on ebay & in it's previous life contained imported juice of some sort.

dishpanhands
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
somthing else I just saw. How tall is you guarage? That tank is over 10 ft. tall.

Roxanne
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
:o:

I will start knitting a tea cosy cover soon, so that no-one laughs anymore :argue: but I will need a lot of wool :D

Mine was bought 2nd hand on ebay & in it's previous life contained imported juice of some sort.

...too funny guys, but necessity is the mother of invention is it not?...

Aussies, amongst other things, have invented: the lawnmower, the hydro watchamacallit engine, the fridge and the stubbie holder....and the best excuses for a day off..and NOW, the "insulated storage tank w/-tea cosy"....Go Robyn!;):D I'm thinkin a spa bath has all you need...jets for aeration, a pump and aheater....hmmmm..as long as you don't use soap in it....or a HUGE stubbie holder....

GrillMaster
12-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm thinkin a spa bath has all you need...jets for aeration, a pump and aheater....hmmmm..as long as you don't use soap in it...

Dont laugh!! Al an I were talkin about it the other day for my place!!! ;) :D :D :D

Eddie
12-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Robyn, that is fantastic, kinda of like the movie Apollo 13 when they had that group of engineers trying make something from nothing. You should have been part of that team! :D

Eddie

Roxanne
12-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Dont laugh!! Al an I were talkin about it the other day for my place!!! ;) :D :D :D

Spooky.....

Robyn, that is fantastic, kinda of like the movie Apollo 13 when they had that group of engineers trying make something from nothing. You should have been part of that team!
Eddie

...Apollo 13 :D....What about the "Symphosydon" ...

"Chief Design & Construction Engineer Ms Robyn Tankwatcher"......patent pending;)

DLock3d
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Can aging water breathe even if the top isn't opened up or even with a small mouth?

GrillMaster
01-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Spooky.....

Its a long drawn out story there Rox...I only have a 20 ft well on the property, crappy water, plus a brook that runs thru the place. But...I have a pump already plumbed from the brook to the house. Use it to fill the pool. Plus people just give em away around here just so they dont have to get rid of them themselves...

A chemical here an there plus a lil filtration... Wa La...:D :D :D

I will probably get a storage tank and a house filtration system though. :)

DLock3d
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Can aging water breathe even if the top isn't opened up or even with a small mouth?

Can someone answer this, PRETTY PLEASE? :D

dishpanhands
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
when you are ageing the water you need to put air in or agitate the water by letting it fall. so I would say it needs to let air in and out. you would need to let the gasses that are in the water out and you want to put air in.

tcyiu
01-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Can someone answer this, PRETTY PLEASE? :D

"Aging" water typically means providing a way for the dissolved chlorine to escape from the water. There needs interface between water and the atmosphere for this primary action to occur. The chlorine ions break away from the hypochlorite ions and clump together as chlorine, and this floats into the atmosphere and away.

HOWEVER, chlorine is heavier than air. So if the opening is small and far above the surface of the water, the chlorine may not dissipate quickly.

Next, there is the consideration of the amount of surface area versus the volume of water. If you have a huge volume of water, but very little surface area, then the aging process will take a long time.

So if you bubble air in the container, you can really speed up the process. because each little bubble provides a relatively large surface area PLUS it agitates the water so that water movement pushes the chlorine around so that it can meet a water-air interface PLUS, you're pushing the chlorine out of the container (so it doesn't get re-dissolved).

To make a long story short, as long as the water is not filled up to the narrow neck of the container, and as long as there is a nice bubbler going on, I don't see why aging wouldn't work in such a container.

marchmaxima
01-10-2009, 07:18 AM
What an informative thread. And Robyn, that thing you have is great! I love the hose reels you've hung on the side. Okay, so I LOL'd but I am also in awe you thought of it.

So do you just connect the hose to the tap and run it straight into your tank when changing? That's what I need. Well, perhaps not *exactly* like this... :)