PDA

View Full Version : Replacing stuff in aquarium

ilaizm
12-27-2008, 09:40 AM
I need to do some modifications to the aquarium. I am going to change the decorations and replace the air pipe + air stones found under the gravel with new ones. Can I keep my 2 discus in the aquarium whilst doing these modifications or will it be too much stress for them?

Eddie
12-27-2008, 09:47 AM
It will be fine, just do what you gotta do, they will do their thing. They gotta get used to you moving about the tank. It won't be the first or the last time you gotta get your hands dirty. ;)

Eddie

Darrell Ward
12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Only 2 ? You do know that's not good unless you have a mated pair, right?

ilaizm
12-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Yes I know it is not ideal. However I have a 36 gallon aquarium. Since the rule of thumb is 1 every 10gal ideally i should put 3. But 3 is an even worse number than 2 no? So I thought of sticking to 2 and hope for the best

Eddie
12-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Yes I know it is not ideal. However I have a 36 gallon aquarium. Since the rule of thumb is 1 every 10gal ideally i should put 3. But 3 is an even worse number than 2 no? So I thought of sticking to 2 and hope for the best

What is ideal for one person isn't ideal for another. If your 2 discus are doing well, give everybody else the finger.

Eddie

Darrell Ward
12-28-2008, 01:23 PM
What is ideal for one person isn't ideal for another. If your 2 discus are doing well, give everybody else the finger.

Eddie

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Patr1ck
12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I need to do some modifications to the aquarium. I am going to change the decorations and replace the air pipe + air stones found under the gravel with new ones. Can I keep my 2 discus in the aquarium whilst doing these modifications or will it be too much stress for them?

Taking them out to do those minor mods would probably stress them more than leaving them in. If it were me I'd leave 'em in there.:)

P

Apistomaster
12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I have kept 2 large non-mated discus together many times. As was already pointed out, if it is working for you then don't worry about it.
One thing I recommend before doing the "in situ' work is to remove any rocks or drift wood before beginning. Discus often crash into these structures when they panic. Bruises or more serious injuries may result.