PDA

View Full Version : Easiest strain to breed?

bs6749
12-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Simply Discus experts, I have a question for you all! What, in your opinions, is the easiest strain of discus to breed? I think I know the answer based on some general background info, but I'd like multiple experts' perspective on the matter.

I am thinking either blue diamonds or cobalts would be the easiest since they are already dark and would attract the fry more easily compared to an albino or snow white for example, and those strains seem to be readily available and are generally the cheapest. This to me says that they are easy to breed...what do you think?

William Palumbo
12-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe some old school red turks or cobalts...tho my PB based fish were always the first to pair up and spawn...IME blue diamonds need time to get it right...I have had males finally fertile at 2 years of age...Bill

Fishdude461
12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Blue diamonds tend to grow super slow. I would have to a cobalt would probly breed first. Forget the easiest to breed, i want the kind that raise their fry the best! Either way ive owned probly 8 strains of discus and see no real difference between them, other than i think the asian strains are more shy than the german discus.

bs6749
12-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Come to think of it, my blue diamonds ARE growing rather slowly. I got them in the middle of May at about 3.5 inches SL and they are probably 4.5" SL right now. I got a carnation snakeskin at the same time at 3" SL and he's at least 5"...probably 5.5" right now and he's already paired up and spawned 3 times for me! He's my inspiration for wanting to get new breeding stock, since he paired with an alenquer and that's not the best pairing. Still wanting more input from all of you experts out there!

Discus-Hans
12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Ok I'm sure I'm going to get some comments on this but I would say: easiest = Stendker Discus.

And from the Stendkers, Santarem, Alenquer, Red Turks, Brilliant, Flachen and Red Scribbled and that's just because the fry easy attach.

Diamond little harder because the males have to be a little older as the females to get it right.

Than the Pigeon types, some attach the fry as a magnet some give you a little more problems.

Hans

bs6749
12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Hans, thank you for taking the time to throw in your two cents. I find it interesting that the BD's aren't fertile until a little later on. Are there any theories as to why this is? Also, I don't know much about the origins of different strains of discus but I'm pretty good at identifying a strain when I see it. What was the derivation/start of the blue diamonds? Was it from just wild blues and where did the stripes go? Was it something (wild blue?) crossed with a PB? If so, that explains where their stripes went. I feel stupid asking this but I have little background on the subject and it's something I'd like to know more about so please don't laugh!

Also, you say that Stendkers are easier to breed and I'm wondering why you think this is. Do Stendkers more closely resemble the wild discus than Asians?

ShinShin
12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
My experience parallels Bill's. PB's seem to spawn very easily, and at a younger age.

Mat

bs6749
12-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Mat.

I was considering trying getting some smaller WB's and growing them out. Would these be fairly easy or should I stick with something darker?

ShinShin
12-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I've never had any White Butterflies. I have heard, however, that some have had problems with the fry attaching to the parents.

Mat

bs6749
12-27-2008, 10:56 PM
That should be expected I guess. I remember hearing the same thing in a discussion about albinos having the same issue. I know you aren't a big fan of PB's Mat so thanks for bearing with me LOL.

Other inputs still welcome!

Marco164
12-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry i haven't posted in forever :-) and have been gone for a year or so now but have been keeping Blue diamonds for the past 4 months and i've got two 5" blue diamonds that are just starting to breed. First time ever they have laid eggs, Male fertilized the eggs and they should go free swimming in a day or 2. They are in a planted 50G Wide community. (5 Discus and a pair of angels and a few community fish) and they seem to be doing good. I'd say it depends on the fish itself how long it takes to "get it right" Tho baby fish attaching and such would probably be another story depending on Type