PDA

View Full Version : Strain to start with?

9point
12-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I am getting ready to purchase 8-12 discus for a new tank and was wondering if there were any recommendations on a certain strain(s)? Should I keep all the same or buy a couple of different colors?

ShinShin
12-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Pigeon Bloods tend to be heartier than other strains.

Mat

Darrell Ward
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
If you are talking man made strains and not wilds, I don't think it makes that much difference. As long as you get the fish from a reputable source. Getting healthy fish to start with goes a long way toward success. The domestic type fish we get nowadays have been breed in captivity for many generations, and are much more tolerate of aquarium conditions than fish of the past. Just always remember they still need more care than ordinary aquarium fish to thrive and prevent problems. :D

Don Trinko
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
IMO I would look for healthy fish. THe strain is not as important as their health. Ask to see the fish eat. Also find out what they are being fed. Don T.

moik
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
If your going to get started in discus, priority one should be getting quality healthy stock. Look at the sponsor section here on Simply.

kaceyo
01-03-2009, 12:24 AM
If you're starting with an eye toward breeding in the future stick with compatible strains. If it's for show only, get what looks good to you.

Kacey

kirkp
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I was told, and don't know if it's true, that blue diamonds are a little more sensitive than other strains.

Kirk

Eddie
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I was told, and don't know if it's true, that blue diamonds are a little more sensitive than other strains.

Kirk

IME, my BDs were the heartiest in my tanks.

Eddie

Yassmeena
01-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Kirk
I think that sensitivity depends more on the health of the discus rather than the strain. You will find that if you shop around within a diverse group of discus sources (i.e. go check all of your local LFS, check all the simply sponser sites and call with questions) that there are many different levels of quality control out there. This is the most important factor - choosing a source that sells healthy quality discus.

Ask them about thier maintenance routine as well. Do they follow good protocol (which I'm assuming you know about from reading on this website?). You will find that some people do not - and you'll never know unless you ask! If they don't there's a greater possibility for these discus to have problems IMO.

Point - the same strain from different sources will have different hardiness depending on the quality control used by the source and the original state of the discus itself.

ashaysathe
01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Pigeon Bloods tend to be heartier than other strains.

Mat

My own experience also led to this conclusion. I totally totally second this thought.

kaceyo
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
My own experience also led to this conclusion. I totally totally second this thought.

Ditto.

ShinShin
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Ashay and Kacey,

I found them not only to more heartier, as well as aggressive, but they seem to breed sooner as well, at least that's been my experience. I wouldn't recommend something like Angel Blue Diamonds to start. Would you? They seem to be more delicate of a strain.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

I don't recommend getting 2 of 5 different strains either. Stick to 1 or 2, 9point. Get compatable strains.

Mat

kaceyo
01-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Definitly true on all counts. My first breeding pair were "Yellow Cristals", translates as "Dyed Juvinile Marlboro". They bred at 9mo and raised the fry right off the bat without any problems. It wasn't till I started breeding spotteds that I learned what a challange discus breeding could be.

Kacey

Ashay and Kacey,

I found them not only to more heartier, as well as aggressive, but they seem to breed sooner as well, at least that's been my experience. I wouldn't recommend something like Angel Blue Diamonds to start. Would you? They seem to be more delicate of a strain.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

I don't recommend getting 2 of 5 different strains either. Stick to 1 or 2, 9point. Get compatable strains.

Mat

9point
01-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Ashay and Kacey,

Mat
What exaclty are "compatable" strains? BTW, I appreciate everyones input! Thanks

kaceyo
01-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Compatible strains would be keeping pigeons with pigeons or LSS's, Leps and RT's or keeping brown based reds together etc. They complement each other both astheticly and in breeding.

Kacey

Dutch dude
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Just curious,....would Red/Turquoise and Alenquer or Red Turquoise and Santarem complement each other?

philip69285
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
For me I go with all different strains. I do have one double and thats my albino goldens but thats because it was so beautiful I had to have 2. I like seeing all the different strains swimming around than one or two or three different kinds because once you start getting them you'll see others you want as well. Then soon you'll have a house full of tanks to house them all. Im not looking to breed them and I dunno if you are either and would rather have a very nice display of all the different kinds of strains out there than just a few. Even tho both ways (a few or many different) is very appealing to me. Its upto you.

ShinShin
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Dutch dude,

Yes.

Mat

Dutch dude
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks Mat! Witch specie should be a better choice in your opinion,..the Alenquer or Santarem (Stendker discus)???

ShinShin
01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I've had both and liked both. The Alenquer were nicely red.
Mat

Dutch dude
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks Mat,....I like the red "wild colored" strains the best.