PDA

View Full Version : question about growouts

rickztahone
12-27-2008, 10:39 PM
i plan on getting 4-5 discus from Kenny in about a month or so and i wanted to know if a 30g is too small for 4-5 discus? i know they require 10g per each one but this is strictly for QT and growout purposes. they will all be at least 3" and when the get to about 4" i plan to move them to my 125. is it just too small though? i have a 55 that i have to get rid of soon but i would have liked to put them in that. plan didn't quite plan out and i'm stuck with the 30. please advise. thanks in advance

Eddie
12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
30g is a bit tight with 4 each 3 inch discus. I know because I have done it. In Portugal I couldn't get a tank any bigger. Some fish grew fast and others stayed small so if it is temporary, do what you have to do. It would be a good size for a QT. The issue you will run into is the tank maintenance. I did 50% WCs everyday and even that was not enough. With quality fish like that and the heavy feeding you'll be doing, I'd do 200% WC everyday so if you are up for that, go for the gold. It would just be a shame to hinder the growth of the top notch discus you are getting from Kenny.

I'm sure you are gonna here that WCs of that caliber are not required but it's all about your goal. My goal is 7in discus minimum in any of my tanks. ;)

Eddie

rickztahone
12-28-2008, 12:03 AM
30g is a bit tight with 4 each 3 inch discus. I know because I have done it. In Portugal I couldn't get a tank any bigger. Some fish grew fast and others stayed small so if it is temporary, do what you have to do. It would be a good size for a QT. The issue you will run into is the tank maintenance. I did 50% WCs everyday and even that was not enough. With quality fish like that and the heavy feeding you'll be doing, I'd do 200% WC everyday so if you are up for that, go for the gold. It would just be a shame to hinder the growth of the top notch discus you are getting from Kenny.

I'm sure you are gonna here that WCs of that caliber are not required but it's all about your goal. My goal is 7in discus minimum in any of my tanks. ;)

Eddie

agreed 100%. i might just stick it out and keep my 55 and deal with my wife getting mad at me :D. i also thought that a tank so small might hinder their potential growth and is why i talked to my wife about keeping it. she's concerned about our water bill being too crazy with the 125 and the 55, and with the 55 needing daily water changes

Eddie
12-28-2008, 02:46 AM
agreed 100%. i might just stick it out and keep my 55 and deal with my wife getting mad at me . i also thought that a tank so small might hinder their potential growth and is why i talked to my wife about keeping it. she's concerned about our water bill being too crazy with the 125 and the 55, and with the 55 needing daily water changes

The 55 is perfect to grow them out. One thing I might add is a possible 20 or 10 for a QT that way you don't have to blow all kinds of meds, medicating a 55. It works great in the long run too in case you have only 1 fish come down with something.

HTH
Eddie

rickztahone
12-28-2008, 04:40 PM
The 55 is perfect to grow them out. One thing I might add is a possible 20 or 10 for a QT that way you don't have to blow all kinds of meds, medicating a 55. It works great in the long run too in case you have only 1 fish come down with something.

HTH
Eddie

very true, i will still use the 30g for a QT but i might have to cut the growout time short and just due the minimum 6 weeks in the 55 for QT and then put them in the 125. as it is my wife doesn't want me to have 3 tanks running. i tried to explain to her that it's not that much water in reality but she doesn't see it that way. our water and electric bill is usually in the 500's

j_li8
12-29-2008, 03:19 AM
I agree with basshead as I know from first hand experience.

I had purchased 4 discus at 3" from Kenny and were forced to used a 20g long as that was the largest I had at the time. Growth wise they seem to be doing fine but the water changes were necessary to do daily. When I did have to skip a day the water that I siphoned out it had yellowed drastically. A month later I had purchased ANOTHER 4 at 2.5-3" so now i had 8 in a 20g and boy was it tight in there. Finally moved them into a 50g two months after the first 4 and have noticed a big difference in water quality. If I did have to skip a day between water changed the water was still in pretty good shape.

If possible try to use that 55g but if you do have to use the 30g be prepared to do daily WC because the water will good bad very quick with all the feedings.

rickztahone
12-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree with basshead as I know from first hand experience.

I had purchased 4 discus at 3" from Kenny and were forced to used a 20g long as that was the largest I had at the time. Growth wise they seem to be doing fine but the water changes were necessary to do daily. When I did have to skip a day the water that I siphoned out it had yellowed drastically. A month later I had purchased ANOTHER 4 at 2.5-3" so now i had 8 in a 20g and boy was it tight in there. Finally moved them into a 50g two months after the first 4 and have noticed a big difference in water quality. If I did have to skip a day between water changed the water was still in pretty good shape.

If possible try to use that 55g but if you do have to use the 30g be prepared to do daily WC because the water will good bad very quick with all the feedings.

thanks for sharing your experience. i shall keep the 55 and grow them out as much as the wife permits ;)