PDA

View Full Version : Eggs layed...Do you still clean the tank?

wxman
12-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I know that Discus can be pretty 'finicky' and do NOT like to be disturbed after eggs are layed. I was wondering if it would be better to wait a 'couple of days' before cleaning the tank?

I have a pair of Cobalts, that are breeders, but tend to eat the eggs or wigglers within a day or two. BUT, I'm also syphoning the bottom of the tank (glass) daily to clean up. I'm wondering if this is annoying them enough to 'gobble away.' I think I'll hold off on the next batch of eggs for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

But curious if anyone STILL cleans the water AFTER eggs have been layed?

Thanks for any comments.

William Palumbo
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I usually do not do anything during that time. My food to them is sparse and consists of FBW and CBW so there is no wasted food. Usually AFTER they attatch for a day or two I will siphon the bottom and replace the water...Bill

wxman
12-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response William. I think I'm trying to be too much of a 'perfectionist' with the cleanliness of the water. I use ro/di. Very soft and have had a lot of luck with it. PH around 6.5.

Yea, it seems to be a short time AFTERWARDS when I syphon the tank that the eggs are gone. I'm going to be patient and wait next time.

Ron

MostlyDiscus
12-28-2008, 12:53 AM
dont feed them and you should be fine. If you can match the water parameters then you can do small changes. Ed

ShinShin
12-28-2008, 01:07 AM
I've never altered my water change regime with breeders, before or after spawning.

Mat

wxman
12-30-2008, 07:30 AM
I guess all these fish are different. I have a pair of Pigeon Bloods and swear you could probably pick them up and pet them AFTER they have layed eggs and will still be fine with that. On the other hand, my Cobalt Blues are different. They have layed and have had fry before, but I know that if you even look at them the wrong way in the tank, they'll eat their eggs. In otherwords, LEAVE THEM ALONE !!!:antlers:

Roxanne
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
What happens if you do a WC and the water level goes down below where the eggs are, wouldn't it be bad to expose them to the air?

MostlyDiscus
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Im like Larry, I really dont change anything. The eggs are ok out of the water for a short time. Ed

wxman
12-31-2008, 07:41 AM
The cone that my Discus use is well below the 'top' of the water level, so I wouldn't have to worry about that much being changed to affect the eggs. Plus, I would guess that after a few days, once the wigglers are free swimming, I might be able to clean the bottom of the tank at that point.

Thanks for the responses.:D