PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

robby ram
12-28-2008, 01:47 AM
I saw one of my discus wiggling and vibrating and getting a bit dark? Then turns normal back. Eating good, no white poop, not hiding. Look happy.

is my discus getting sick?

Roxanne
12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi robby, I'll give you somewhere to start...

1.when it goes dark does it stay dark? 2. do the gills look clear and the fish is breathing through both? 3. Is your ph fluctuating?

yiapas
12-28-2008, 02:46 AM
i dont believe is sick....most likely wants a pair:)

if is vibrating and getting dark...is other discus near by??

Roxanne
12-28-2008, 03:24 AM
I didn't say it was sick. I am eliminating other things first.

robby ram
12-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Hi robby, I'll give you somewhere to start...

1.when it goes dark does it stay dark? 2. do the gills look clear and the fish is breathing through both? 3. Is your ph fluctuating?

1. It stays dark while vibrating and wiggling.

2. I don't know, the gill looks normal. It just when its wiggling and vibrating, like ermmm... i would call like a spasm, but not really, it looks like when someone is tickling your waist or something. Eating good, he/she is the feisty bully. Tends to bully others, especially the juvies that I have. I am assuming, he/she is healthy considering the feces are dark brown and thick.

3. My Ph has been stable and constant and only fluctuates very very small.

robby ram
12-28-2008, 04:45 AM
i dont believe is sick....most likely wants a pair:)

if is vibrating and getting dark...is other discus near by??

Yes, there is another discus. Both are blue diamond and royal blue.

The royal blue was the one who wiggled and vibrated and the blue diamond was next to it. To think of it, there was a solid slate when the vibration occurred. Considering you mentioned about 'wanting a pair', I finally realized that they both never really chase or being aggressive to each other. I also notice, every feeding time the royal blue will chase all the juvies except for the blue diamond.

Does 'pairing' indicate breeding as well?

yiapas
12-28-2008, 06:31 AM
I didn't say it was sick. I am eliminating other things first.
yes i know but i did not answer to you:) i was answer to robby

Yes, there is another discus. Both are blue diamond and royal blue.

so....you have a pair:D good luck

robby ram
12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
so....you have a pair:D good luck

are they able to breed or just pairing for life?

yiapas
12-28-2008, 03:54 PM
are they able to breed or just pairing for life?

it early to say!!! watch them few more days to be sure

robby ram
12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
it early to say!!! watch them few more days to be sure

I have been watching his behavior, everytime the blue diamond is near him or vice versa, he will turn dark and pointing upward, however, the blue diamond does not respond much, just eating..eating and chasing other juvies.

If this a pairing behavior, the blue diamond got game. eh.

Eddie
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
I have been watching his behavior, everytime the blue diamond is near him or vice versa, he will turn dark and pointing upward, however, the blue diamond does not respond much, just eating..eating and chasing other juvies.

If this a pairing behavior, the blue diamond got game. eh.

I've read that it takes BDs longer to mature for breeding purposes. Might be waiting a little while unless another suitor comes avail. Good luck

Eddie

robby ram
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I've read that it takes BDs longer to mature for breeding purposes. Might be waiting a little while unless another suitor comes avail. Good luck

Eddie

well he has been hitting the slate with his mouth.like kissing on it. i dont know how to describe it. i just got them 3 weeks ago and this is my first time keeping discus.

Eddie
12-29-2008, 01:02 AM
How big, what age?

robby ram
12-29-2008, 01:07 AM
How big, what age?

I don't know the age since I did not ask when I purchased it. Both are Medium size.

plecocicho
12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Robby tahta sounds like pairing behaviour. What are you referring for kissing is actually cleaning (and probing) possible spawning sites.

robby ram
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Robby tahta sounds like pairing behaviour. What are you referring for kissing is actually cleaning (and probing) possible spawning sites.

I see. I got home today and I saw both are vibrating and darkening. They both kissing some of the leafs, the filter tube, and the slate.

If they do spawn, what are the chances the eggs are going to survive considering my water parameter is not exactly exclusive for breeding environment. My Ph is neutral and water is somewhat soft ( my tap water is soft ).

This is going to be an exciting experience.

robby ram
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
As of today, they finally laid their eggs!!! I recorded the spawning moment.

Happy new year!!

Ps: now I really don't know what to do because I just started my first discus tank a month ago.

Eddie
12-31-2008, 01:29 AM
As of today, they finally laid their eggs!!! I recorded the spawning moment.

Happy new year!!

Ps: now I really don't know what to do because I just started my first discus tank a month ago.

Wow, that great! You must be doing something right! What a nice way to start the New Year!

Happy New Year and best of luck
Eddie

robby ram
12-31-2008, 03:49 AM
Are thy gonna eat the eggs? I have other fish, oto, neon, rasbora, one female guppy and 3 other discus juvies.

mikel
12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I think they will try to defend the eggs, and in vain and frustration, or just out of inexperience, they will eat the eggs. Or your smaller ones will get to them first. In any case, dont worry too much about the eggs...just congratulate yourself for a job well done in keeping them happy...so happy that they spawned for you! Nothing sweeter than a bullseye on the first try...and you didnt even try! You have the touch, dont change a thing. mike

robby ram
12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I think they will try to defend the eggs, and in vain and frustration, or just out of inexperience, they will eat the eggs. Or your smaller ones will get to them first. In any case, dont worry too much about the eggs...just congratulate yourself for a job well done in keeping them happy...so happy that they spawned for you! Nothing sweeter than a bullseye on the first try...and you didnt even try! You have the touch, dont change a thing. mike

How long does it take for the eggs to release the fry?

it was kinda fun looking at them spawning. I have seen many videos of discus spawning and it was to cool to witness it live.

robby ram
12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I have moved this thread to the 'breeding' section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=490420#post490420

fishman1978
01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
thats when i know mine is going to spawn

fishman1978
01-03-2009, 12:56 AM
thats when i know my cobalt going to lay eggs

robby ram
01-05-2009, 01:47 AM
yeah they are at it again. displaying the signs again.