PDA

View Full Version : Hello New to Discus

stevey87
12-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Right now I just have 65 gallon tank community set up and for the future I'm thinking about getting discus. They're so expensive anywhere I go, is there any way to get discus under 10 dollars?

Darren's Discus
12-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi Steve,
welcome to simply ! may i suggest read,read,read before you get any discus and remember you only get what you pay for ! Make your discus experience a good one and buy from a reputable source.

cheers

stevey87
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
How much would local breeder's discus sell for?

Eddie
12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Right now I just have 65 gallon tank community set up and for the future I'm thinking about getting discus. They're so expensive anywhere I go, is there any way to get discus under 10 dollars?

Hey there, welcome to Simply! Honestly, you are in better shoes than I am since I live in Japan. Looking at 60 dollars each Discus at 2 inches over here. Wilds are 200 dollars and up so you are in heaven. Every once in a while you'll find somebody selling a group of Juveniles for a little more than 10 dollars a piece but not too often. Keep your eyes open and read everything you can on this site before you purchase. You can easily see what not to buy and what to look for. Eye size and body shape are very important. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Eddie

Patr1ck
12-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Ive never seen any discus for under 10 dollars. $25 USD is the least. Also read as much as you can from this site. It contains the answer to any question you might have. This forum, since I have joined has given my discus a much better quality of life. I love this place. Good luck with your discus adventure.:D

P

mikel
12-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Hay, Eddie: I just read that Japan's economy will retract by more than 12% this year...so those overpriced japanese discus may have to come down a bit. Good for everyone when things come back down to reality. mike

Eddie
12-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Hay, Eddie: I just read that Japan's economy will retract by more than 12% this year...so those overpriced japanese discus may have to come down a bit. Good for everyone when things come back down to reality. mike

Hey Mike, that would be great but unfortunately I see it going the other way. The prices are not getting lower, in fact I've seen it doubling. One store I hate going to because the prices are so steep, have wilds for sale 50,000 yen a piece. Thats about $550.00. Who is gonna pay that? I've seen fish turn completely black in this place and they still try selling them for that much. I always leave that place shaking my head. :angry:

Eddie

mikel
12-30-2008, 09:03 AM
That's interesting. You would think that people would take good care of fish (merchandise to some) when they are so "valuable"...even in a bubble economy. Have you ever gone to the "Fish and Flower" street in Hong Kong, or even the one in Beijing? Now those people know how to take care of discus. I was there last year for two weeks, and I was amazed by the huge sizes of the discus, and their obvious health. And they were nicely priced too. Too bad I couldnt bring them in bags onto the return flight. mike

Eddie
12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Have you ever gone to the "Fish and Flower" street in Hong Kong, or even the one in Beijing?

I haven't been there yet but I'd like to. If these guys could keep a discus alive, bet they'd get better business.

Eddie

mmorris
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been selling my fry for $15 but they are sold very young and for pick-up only. There's no profit in it at that price but I want to quickly clear out the ones I am not going to raise myself. Check out the price of styro-lined boxes, heat packs and bags! Add on to that electricity, water, food and all the bits and bobs that must be purchased to raise them. Also, imported discus must be sold at a price that will provide a profit.

Eddie
12-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I've been selling my fry for $15 but they are sold very young and for pick-up only. There's no profit in it at that price but I want to quickly clear out the ones I am not going to raise myself. Check out the price of styro-lined boxes, heat packs and bags! Add on to that electricity, water, food and all the bits and bobs that must be purchased to raise them. Also, imported discus must be sold at a price that will provide a profit.

OMG, I need to move back to the states, $15! That is preposterous, I'd be buying them by the dozens!