PDA

View Full Version : What is correct watter hardness in TDS to have successfull spawn?

cveks
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
First of all I have Hanna instruments TDS meter which I use to measure water hardness .

My water is around 110-120 TDS and in this water most of eggs doesnt fertilize.

Can anyone tell me what is good hardness in TDS to have successfull spawn?

wvdiscus
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I PROVIDE PROVEN PAIRS FOR SELL, MOST OF THE FISH THAT I GET TO SPAWN AND FERTILIZE EGGS, THE TDS IS BETWEEN 50 AND 80 AND PH BETWEEN 6 AND 6.5. GOOD LUCK

JAMES

kpotter2
01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
The lower the TDS the better,but with my happings too low is not good and you will not be able to completely cycle the tank system. I went throught this last year and had a 55 that crashed and would not cycle after I bought my R/O unit and add the .015 TDS Water in the tank. I took 2 months and many internet searchs and I found that when you get your TDS to low your water becomes non inhabital for the good bactira to grow in.I think I would watch how low you go. I think 80 to 100 is just right my self. Mine is around 100 to 115 or so and my problem in the past it was around 45ppm. I read along time ago from a book by Jack wattley that the softer water allows the eggs shell to be softer and more pentrateable for the males sperm. I was having problems with harder water and found this reading and a lower TDS got my fish a going. Discus will spawn in any water conditions as they see fit. Good luck and happy new year.

Thanks

Kyle

Big Tuck
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with James,i have 2 pairs that are spawning and raising fry with TD at 67 and PH at 6.2. 50% water change daily,temp 86. Good luck.

bs6749
01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
My water is very hard with a GH of about 300ppm or more and a pH of 7.8-8.0 I just had a pair of discus form. No wigglers on the first and second spawns. Many wigglers on the third spawn. Fourth spawn???? I'm at work and have no idea. My male was young and took him three times to get it right, but he has proven to be fertile even in my water conditions. Personally I don't think that the pH matters all that much for fertility. I'm just basing that on my very limited experience however and there may be many experts out there that would disagree. pH playing a role in the development of the fry seems more crucial than in the fertilization of the eggs.