View Full Version : Water Pumps for WCs?

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 12:45 AM
I currently have a 55 gallon, and do WCs daily with a python hooked up to the tap. It takes about 1/2 hour, and I'd like to try and reduce that time by adding an inline water pump.

Has anyone had experience with this? If so, can you recommend a specific pump?

Thanks in advance!

Eddie
01-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I used to use a Rio Aqua 2100, empties fast and does not need to be submerged if you want to mount it outside the tank and just have an inlet line in the tank! :D

HTH
Eddie

*IMPORTANT* It appears that they can no longer be used in line, they actually need to be submersed. They have changed this so I guess you can only use this pump submersed.

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I used to use a Rio Aqua 2100, empties fast and does not need to be submerged if you want to mount it outside the tank and just have an inlet line in the tank! :D

HTH
Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

That was a great help indeed! I looked up the Rio Aqua, and Drs F&S website states it must be submersed. Did it change since yoiu bought it, or did you discover that you could work around that?

Has anyone ever tried Quiet One brand pumps? They're on sale now and Drs F&S.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4587+9849&pcatid=9849

And last question... I calculated that if I use the lowest powered pump from Queit One (296 GPH) I could do the entire WC in ~ 10 mins. But would that kind of water pressure (suctioning out and pumping back in) necessitate some protective measures for the discus? Seems like it may suck them to the inlet or push them around when water's being pumped in? :confused:

Eddie
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks Eddie,

That was a great help indeed! I looked up the Rio Aqua, and Drs F&S website states it must be submersed. Did it change since yoiu bought it, or did you discover that you could work around that?

Has anyone ever tried Quiet One brand pumps? They're on sale now and Drs F&S.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4587+9849&pcatid=9849

And last question... I calculated that if I use the lowest powered pump from Queit One (296 GPH) I could do the entire WC in ~ 10 mins. But would that kind of water pressure (suctioning out and pumping back in) necessitate some protective measures for the discus? Seems like it may suck them to the inlet or push them around when water's being pumped in? :confused:

Another thing that you will have to account for is height and distance. The further you are pumping the less efficient the GPH will be. I found that the Rio 2100 was more than enough to pump out my tanks with very little impact on GPH. I guess it depends on how far you need the water to pump out.

Yup, I edited my first post with the change in Rio needing to be fully submersed.
Eddie

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Another thing that you will have to account for is height and distance. The further you are pumping the less efficient the GPH will be. I found that the Rio 2100 was more than enough to pump out my tanks with very little impact on GPH. I guess it depends on how far you need the water to pump out.

Yup, I edited my first post with the change in Rio needing to be fully submersed.
Eddie

I will be pumping a distance ~ 12 ft. Would you suppose that might have a significant impact on the GPH efficiency?

Eddie
01-02-2009, 01:29 AM
I think the Quiet One 2200 would probably be better for your requirements. I don't like messing around when doing WCs. The quicker the better IMO
Eddie

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 01:32 AM
I think the Quiet One 2200 would probably be better for your requirements. I don't like messing around when doing WCs. The quicker the better IMO
Eddie

That makes sense.... but what about the risk for injury/stress to the fish by the increase water pressure in and out of the pump tubing? Do I need to protect against this somehow?

gotfish?
01-02-2009, 01:36 AM
im in the market for a better pump for refilling water during WCs...my rio 1400 takes FOREVER!! i waste two hours of my life daily with WCs and im hoping to find a better/faster pump. il check rio aqua 2200 thanks:D

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
im in the market for a better pump for refilling water during WCs...my rio 1400 takes FOREVER!! i waste two hours of my life daily with WCs and im hoping to find a better/faster pump. il check rio aqua 2200 thanks:D

The Ehiem on Dr. F&S looks nice... It's a bit more pricey...

So... you guys haven't mentioned how the increased water pressure effects the discus's experience of the WC?

gotfish?
01-02-2009, 01:46 AM
i think, as long as your water parameters are the same(temp, ph, etc) i dont think faster water flow would be any problem...i think;)

Eddie
01-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Discus get used to the way you do things. Sure they get stressed but if your fish are healthy, it is temporary. When I do WCs, my fish literally lay on their sides until I start filling the tank back up. They swim in the current from the water going in. You should not get too worried about stressing them out if its only for a short time. Thats why I like to get it done faster. The sooner its all over with, the sooner they'll be back in front of the tank eating.

Eddie

The Ehiem on Dr. F&S looks nice... It's a bit more pricey...

So... you guys haven't mentioned how the increased water pressure effects the discus's experience of the WC?

seanyuki
01-02-2009, 01:50 AM
I am using Aquaclear power head model 110 to drain water....even could attach it to a sponge filter for another purpose.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4644&pcatid=4644

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF1253.jpg

or order from Jehmco.....safe all the trouble :p

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Cheers
Francis:)

Eddie
01-02-2009, 01:54 AM
I am using Aquaclear power head model 110 to drain water....even could attach it to a sponge filter for another purpose.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4644&pcatid=4644

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF1253.jpg

or order from Jehmco.....safe all the trouble :p

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Cheers

Not to say your set-up isn't efficient Francis but the Quite One 2200 has about the same GPH and pumping height as the AC110 but for half the price. :o

Eddie

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Heres one of the posts that I left on another thread:
[I didnt like all of the water that was being wasted when my python was on suction mode too, So I came up with this to save some water. Its alot faster than some of the other methods, removes about 25% of my 90 gallon in @ 10 mins. (Actually alittle less than that, more like 7 mins.)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16818_16818
I plumbed it to my python and to an outlet hose that runs to the tub with these garden hose fittings from Lowes Hardware Store.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=24&Ne=4294967294&category=Hose+Repair+and+Accessories&N=4294960618
I get the water draining with the python faucet adapter first. Then I transfer it to the pump in order to not dry start the pump. If anybody's interested its pretty convenient, saves alot of time and water during wc's.]

I too use the quiet one 2200 to pump water from my storage barrel to my tank. The flow rate is not nearly as high as it states on the box, and not even close to as fast as the tap can fill the tank. I have to pump the water about 15 feet to a height of @ 4.5 feet. It takes about 15 to 20 mins to refill 25% of a 90 gallon. Its funny that this thread was started because I today was just looking in the DF&S catalog for a bigger one. I was looking at the 4000. Possibly even the 6000.
The amount of water current going in both drain and fill is nothing even close to disturbing the fish.

HTH,

P

Eddie
01-02-2009, 02:14 AM
[I didnt like all of the water that was being wasted when my python was on suction mode too, So I came up with this to save some water. Its alot faster than some of the other methods, removes about 25% of my 90 gallon in @ 10 mins. (Actually alittle less that that, more like 7 mins.)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_16818_16818
I plumbed it to my python and to an outlet hose that runs to the tub with these garden hose fittings from Lowes Hardware Store.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...s&N=4294960618
I get the water draining with the python faucet adapter first. Then I transfer it to the pump in order to not dry start the pump. If anybody's interested its pretty convenient, saves alot of time and water during wc's.]

I too use the quiet one 2200 to pump water from my storage barrel to my tank. The flow rate is not nearly as high as it states on the box, and not even close to as fast as the tap can fill the tank. I have to pump the water about 15 feet to a height of @ 4.5 feet. It takes about 15 to 20 mins to refill 25% of a 90 gallon. Its funny that this thread was started because I today was just looking in the DF&S catalog for a bigger one. I was looking at the 4000. Possibly even the 6000.
The amount of water current going in both drain and fill is nothing even close to disturbing the fish.

HTH,

P

I remember when I first researched pumps years ago, I went with the Rio because of the Watts. I believe the higher wattage, the greater or more efficient the flow. I see the QO 2200 has half the watts of the Rio 2100. :o
Could be wrong but I do remember reading about it.

Eddie

gotfish?
01-02-2009, 02:17 AM
[I didnt like all of the water that was being wasted when my python was on suction mode too, So I came up with this to save some water. Its alot faster than some of the other methods, removes about 25% of my 90 gallon in @ 10 mins. (Actually alittle less than that, more like 7 mins.)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=24&Ne=4294967294&category=Hose+Repair+and+Accessories&N=4294960618

HTH,

P

the pump you got from northern tools seems cool, are you not using it to refill water from your barrel to your tank aswell??

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
haha... I was about to click "Place order" on the website for the QO, but am very glad i decided to check the thread just in case new info has arised! lol

ok - so back to the drawing board. I think I will come back to this another night... getting tired and gotta be up early!

Thanks everyone, and I will post back with my final purchase... :)

Happy New Year!

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 02:22 AM
I remember when I first researched pumps years ago, I went with the Rio because of the Watts. I believe the higher wattage, the greater or more efficient the flow. I see the QO 2200 has half the watts of the Rio 2100. :o
Could be wrong but I do remember reading about it.

Eddie

Definately, the more wattage the stronger the pump and thus more pump output. This one,http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16818_16818 as far as wattage goes is @ 195W. It flies through the draining of the tank. I love it.

P

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 02:25 AM

HTH,

P

Just curious... How much time would it have taken you to drain that same amount with the suction from the faucet alone?

I currently drain 50% of 55 gallons in about 12 minutes, which is actually a greater amount than your 25% of 90 gallons. I was just expecting to save more time I guess?

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 02:32 AM
the pump you got from northern tools seems cool, are you not using it to refill water from your barrel to your tank aswell??

I tried that, but its so strong that it sucks the hose from the aging barrel closed. It even does it with the quiet one pumping in the bottom of the aging barrel as a helper pump. The hose I used is too thin walled only 1/8". I got it from Lowes. The hose that comes with the Python is much thicker and stouter and should able to handle the power on the suction side. It does just fine on the pressure side. I use the quiet one 2200 from the aging barrel to the tank. Its much much slower:)

P

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Just curious... How much time would it have taken you to drain that same amount with the suction from the faucet alone?

I currently drain 50% of 55 gallons in about 12 minutes, which is actually a greater amount than your 25% of 90 gallons. I was just expecting to save more time I guess?

Its been a while since Ive done that but, I know it took considerably longer with the suction from the faucet than with the pump. I really really like the pump from Northern Tool. Its so much faster. It also saves alot of water too. I was really happy with how fast it drained the tank the first time I used it. Its alot noisier(because its alot more powerful) than the Quiet One style pumps but IMO its worth it.:D

P

seanyuki
01-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Eddie,

I don't think I paid close to a $100 buck for a Aquaclear powerhead 110....just notice that Dr.F..oster & Pets price is quite high for that model whereas other online stores are selling it under $73.....and rather more paid a little more and get Iwaki water power pump....horse power.:D

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11467/product.web

Cheers

Not to say your set-up isn't efficient Francis but the Quite One 2200 has about the same GPH and pumping height as the AC110 but for half the price. :o

Eddie

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Its been a while since Ive done that but, I know it took considerably longer with the suction from the faucet than with the pump. I really really like the pump from Northern Tool. Its so much faster. It also saves alot of water too. I was really happy with how fast it drained the tank the first time I used it. Its alot noisier(because its alot more powerful) than the Quiet One style pumps but IMO its worth it.:D

P

Thanks for the info. I was reading reviews on the NT website, and read some greivances about the lack of self-priming and one review said the pump wont pump water heights greater than 2 ft.

In your opinion is this last comment valid? Also, what kind of maintenance/extra work is involved for this pump besides the method you outlined in your first post?

Thanks again!

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I was reading reviews on the NT website, and read some greivances about the lack of self-priming and one review said the pump wont pump water heights greater than 2 ft.

In your opinion is this last comment valid? Also, what kind of maintenance/extra work is involved for this pump besides the method you outlined in your first post?

Thanks again!

Priming is easy. I swapped the gravel suction tube(big end)from the python assembly and placed it where the screw on adapter(from the python) went and vice versa. I did this so I could get the on/off valve in the python hose near the sink instead of near the tank, which keeps me from having to run back and forth. The rest of the priming procedure is like my first post says.
-set python up like normal
-get it started with the suction device on the faucet
-turn the valve in the hose to closed
-unscrew the python hose from the faucet and screw it onto the pump
-turn the valve in the hose to open(pump is now primed)
-plug pump into wall socket to turn it on
-a couple mins later the tank is now drained

The pump definately pumps far above 2 feet. I talked about that in an earlier post, about how it sucks the hose closed etc... even though the hosed was sucked closed it was still able to pump some water up to 4.5 feet. I also use the same pump(not the exact one I use on my fish tank. lol) at work to pump coolant from the floor to up over 6 feet high. No noticable change in flow, Its more of a positive displacement style pump:D

Extra work/maintenance is none for the last 1.5 years. It comes with an extra impeller and gasket should you ever wear it out.:thumbsup:

P

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Priming is easy. I swapped the gravel suction tube(big end)from the python assembly and placed it where the screw on adapter(from the python) went and vice versa. I did this so I could get the on/off valve in the python hose near the sink instead of near the tank, which keeps me from having to run back and forth. The rest of the priming procedure is like my first post says.
-set python up like normal
-get it started with the suction device on the faucet
-turn the valve in the hose to closed
-unscrew the python hose from the faucet and screw it onto the pump
-turn the valve in the hose to open(pump is now primed)
-plug pump into wall socket to turn it on
-a couple mins later the tank is now drained

The pump definately pumps far above 2 feet. I talked about that in an earlier post, about how it sucks the hose closed etc... even though the hosed was sucked closed it was still able to pump some water up to 4.5 feet. I also use the same pump(not the exact one I use on my fish tank. lol) at work to pump coolant from the floor to up over 6 feet high. No noticable change in flow, Its more of a positive displacement style pump:D

Extra work/maintenance is none for the last 1.5 years. It comes with an extra impeller and gasket should you ever wear it out.:thumbsup:

P

So this is a winner then! Thanks and my apologies about not reading your earlier post carefully enough...

Patr1ck
01-02-2009, 03:21 AM
So this is a winner then! Thanks and my apologies about not reading your earlier post carefully enough...

Yes I love it, I think you will too. Are you gonna use it for draining and filling or just draining? Also, no apologies necessary.:D

P

Yassmeena
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes I love it, I think you will too. Are you gonna use it for draining and filling or just draining? Also, no apologies necessary.:D

P

Well if I could fill faster with it, I suppose I would like to use it for filling too. But it seems conceptually that the speed of the water coming out of the faucet can not be made to go faster by a pump. Is this your experience?

If you found the pump to speed up filling, please do tell! :)

Ed13
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Eddie
But, it's twice the quality of a QO!
QO main troubles are the easy to break shafts. Run it continously and you wont have troubles, run it in a situation where it needs to start and stop and it will break easily. Torque at start up seems to much.

You guys are going to be jealous of my draining set up;), a 1/2 hp pump to empty and a pressure rated 1/2 hp pump to fill. Theorically a 75g can be emptied and filled in less than 10min:p. Just have to plumb it:mad:

roadracr
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks again!

I purchased that same Northern Tool pump and use it to refill my 150G from my storage tank. I'm lucky as my tank is in my finished basement so I do w/c's by siphoning directly to my sump. My water changes are always about 75 gallons (probably 60% when you take into account the displacement for substrate, driftwood & decor, fish, etc.). Siphoning out 75 gallons takes about 30 minutes without any pump assistance.

To refill, I rigged a direct connect of the NT pump to my storage tank with a hose going to the main tank. A 75 gallon refill takes 15 minutes. The fish don't seem to mind it too much. The pump is automatically primed the way I have it hooked up. I will say that this pump is a bit loud, but since it is connected to my storage tank (and away from the fish tank), it's not really bothersome.

My water pressure is pretty good, so refilling my storage tank takes only 8 minutes.

A total water change is just under an hour (30 + 15 + 8). I'll be happy to share hardware details if anybody is interested.

Roadracr

roadracr
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
One more thing. I have thought of using the NT pump to assist in draining/siphoning, but I actually do my vacuuming while I drain. Vacuuming takes about 15 to 20 minutes of the total drain time and I don't think I even want more water pressure for this. So, once done with vacuuming, I stand back and wait 10 to 15 minutes before the refill.

Roadracr

Patr1ck
01-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Well if I could fill faster with it, I suppose I would like to use it for filling too. But it seems conceptually that the speed of the water coming out of the faucet can not be made to go faster by a pump. Is this your experience?

If you found the pump to speed up filling, please do tell! :)

It wouldnt speed up filling if you are already filling from the tap. I keep my wc water in an aging barrel. I tried using the same pump to fill from the barrel but the hose I have coming out of the barrel is too thin. The NT pump is so powerful that it sucks the hose closed. I use that same QO 2200 pump that weve been talking about in this thread. It takes about 20 mins to fill 22.5 gallons. I tried using both pumps at the same time but still the same result, a collapsed hose. I plan on getting a thicker walled hose someday but just havent done it yet.
If youre going to be draining with the NT pump and filling with the tap, I think you'll find yourself happy with the results.:)

P

Yassmeena
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
It wouldnt speed up filling if you are already filling from the tap. I keep my wc water in an aging barrel. I tried using the same pump to fill from the barrel but the hose I have coming out of the barrel is too thin. The NT pump is so powerful that it sucks the hose closed. I use that same QO 2200 pump that weve been talking about in this thread. It takes about 20 mins to fill 22.5 gallons. I tried using both pumps at the same time but still the same result, a collapsed hose. I plan on getting a thicker walled hose someday but just havent done it yet.
If youre going to be draining with the NT pump and filling with the tap, I think you'll find yourself happy with the results.:)

P

Thanks ov10pat. I am going to buy the pump in a couple weeks most likely jus tto balance out some other extra expenses I've had this month. I'll post a follow up on this thread once I've used it a couple times!