PDA

View Full Version : Discus aggression and the addition of new ones

frenchie100
01-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I have 2 discus in my 100 gallon tank that I have had for about a month. They are my first discus and have learned a lot lately. My problem is that one of them is really aggressive towards the other one. He wants to be the "alpha" but the other one is only allowed to stay in the top right hand cormer of the tank. If he tries to move away from that corner, the "alpha' chases him back over there.
I am going to be ordering a group of discus from Kenny with the hope that it will ease the tension. Has any seen this truly work?

I am kind of hoping that in the lot there will be another alpha discus that will put mine back in his place:o. I know it is bad to feel that way, but I hate seeing that other one stuck in that corner all day. The only time he is not chased and can swim around is when I am in front of the tank, and the other one is distracted.

The one that is in the corner is ( in my opinion) a beautiful healthy discus, whereas the "alpha" isn't that good of a "specimen". He is pretty thin, and could maybe be stunted ( from everything I have read on here). I wouldn't want my other discus's health to deteriorate because it is being chased all the time.:angry:

They both eat like pigs several times a day spirulina brine shrimp, FBW, CBW, mysis shrimp, krill, tetra color bits, hikari discus gold pellets, FBH.

I have read some threads about this, but was hoping you guys could share your success stories?! :o

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Thank you in advance!

I have added some pics so you can see who I am talking about and how my pretty discus is starting to have frayed fins because of it. The lighter one is the bully.
-Julie

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/jcain100/IMG_0786.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/jcain100/IMG_0788.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/jcain100/IMG_0791.jpg

ShinShin
01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Its been my experience that the more discus in a tank, the less aggression there is. I've kept as many as 24 adults in a 100gal with less problems than 4 in a 55gal.

Mat

mmorris
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I think your plan to get more from Kenny is a good one. You might want to separate the two into different tanks or with a divider in the meantime.

Don Trinko
01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I have had times when I added another discus and nobody seemed to care.
I have also had times when the new discus chased the others relentlessly. The new guy was last in the pecking order in the tank he came from. Don T.

frenchie100
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Okay, thank you guys. I think I am going to have to keep my fingers crossed that it works.
In the meantime, the divider is a good idea. How do I build my own? My tank has weird dimensions 48L x31H x15w. Plexiglass with holes in it?

-Julie

mmorris
01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Plexiglass with holes in it?

-Julie

I'm not sure what that might be...but maybe! I use what is commonly called eggcrate - it's a light diffuser. Your local DIY shop should have it, or they could tell you where you can get it. I cut it to fit very tightly using sissors.
Martha

Don Trinko
01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
"egg crate" It is meant for flourecent light fixtures. You can get it at Lowes, Menards, and most of the home improvement stores. I think it is $10 to $12. You will have to cut it to the correct size and use suction cups or something to hold it in place. The suction cups are placed on both sides of it to keep it upright. Don T.

frenchie100
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Awesome, I'm going to go this afternoon and ask about it. I also have plenty of spare suction cups from old heaters.

In the meantime I put the 2 powerheads on full bubble mode so it makes kind of like a barrier between the 2 discus. It seems to be helping but I don't think discus like big bubbly currents, so I think the eggcrate should work better! :)

Thank you so much!

-Julie