PDA

View Full Version : Multiple strains or 1-2 types???

FLGirl1977
01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Getting my 120 gallon ready, I'm still very confused what I want! :o In one sense, I know having a school of 1-2 types of discus would be absolutely stunning..... but there are SOOOOOOO many strains out there that I'm finding it hard to decide! I LOVE the look of albino Royal Blues, but then again, I love Santarems as well... I love my blue diamonds that I currently have, they could always stay in their own tank...

I need a voice of reason here to help me choose.... :confused: Do I go with multiple strains, or do I stick with one to two different strains.... or something different??? Striations, solids????

:undecided: :lickin: :huh: :crazy: :bomb:

Darrell Ward
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
You know that you are going to want more than 1 or 2 different strains, so unless you plan on multiple tanks, just mix it up.

brewmaster15
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
That really a personal choice... I really like the look of a group of the same in one tank... but For some reason I also like a group of mellons with a group of Red Turqs......no reason there...They just set off each others colors by the contrast and theres not too much visual "noise"

I also like a group of white Pbs with a group of Cobalts.

Fish I like alone.... spotteds, san merahs, Albinos, heckels.

Can't see as that helping you any:D but since you asked.:D:D:D

-al

kaceyo
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
For me, there's nothing like a group of all one strain to bring balance to an aquarium. If it's a large enough tank, a couple of strains that compliment each other is nice. I don't say that just because I keep and breed one type, but because the tanks I've seen with an odd mix of different color strains has an incomplete, or too busy(?) look to me. Like there is something missing.

Kacey

FLGirl1977
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
LOL.... this is going to be a tough one... but I really love to hear everyones' thoughts/opinions! Keep em' coming! :D

Don Trinko
01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Strickly personal preference. They will all interbreed so If you intend to get pairs they should probably all be the same kind. Don T.

Ed13
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
For me, there's nothing like a group of all one strain to bring balance to an aquarium. If it's a large enough tank, a couple of strains that compliment each other is nice. I don't say that just because I keep and breed one type, but because the tanks I've seen with an odd mix of different color strains has an incomplete, or too busy(?) look to me. Like there is something missing.

Kacey:thumbsup:

ShinShin
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I also do not like a tank with multiple strains. I perfer 1 type or 2 aestheticically compatable strains at the most. I also like red turquois with a solid red strain or SS and San Merah. The problem for me with the latter combo, I have a hard time getting San Merahs to a comparable size as the Snakeskins. Th SS always dominate.

Mat

mmorris
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
This is one of the best parts of the hobby and you do NOT want a voice of reason! Get what you like! Get one 'a them, and one 'a them, and one 'a them. If you decide down the road you'd like to raise some little ones, get yourself a 55 gallon and a 29, if you don't already have them. Buy six of the same variety, raise them up in the 55 gal. and when they pair off put a pair in the 29 gal. You can sell the remainder or, if there is room, put them in the 120. The 55 will then be free for raising fry. :D

mikel
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
There is nothing like a fleet of big and perfectly round shaped blue diamonds with blood red eyes gazing forward and swimming regally across a big tank. If you have a preference for one strain, then stick with it and get the highest quality fish of that strain. Isnt this a fun dilemma? mike:)

Eddie
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I'd say it depends on what your plans are. Do you want to have multiple tanks in your house? Do you want to breed? How will set the tank up, will it be planted, biotope or BB? I think in a BB tank with nothing else in it, all the strains you can fit. In a biotope, a wild specific looks best. In a planted, I like blues. Those are my thoughts.

Eddie

Don Trinko
01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
As you can see there are many opinions. This is one time where your opinion is the most important one! Don T.

FLGirl1977
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I know, I just like to see what everyone's ideas/opinions are... maybe to see if it can shape my current one. :o