PDA

View Full Version : FISH SHOP SCAM

Roxanne
01-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I am amazed by the amount of diseased fish that are on sale, in nearly every LFS I go to. Hardly ANY QT new stock or surrendered stock. They don't even medicate their sick stock and throw new stock in with the sick. Why should they spend money making it healthy when they only pay a couple of dollars for them and it's cheaper to cull than medicate? Why should they sell you a healthy fish when you will be back next week spending a bunch of money to "make it well".....I'm just not amazed that SOMEONE gets rich off it! There is flukes zipping around in a LFS tank, the gills are hanging out of the wasted fish & he's asking me how I know the fish is sick?? After he said he lost heat in the tanks & now the fish have fin rot as well. That shop is a mess. What, does he think he can sell the ok looking stuff to some unsuspecting fool who doesn't realise, just cos he/she chose the healthiest, don't mean it's not sick! I thought these LFS people were ignorant, but, they are not. They just don't care! What do you guys think, is this a scam?

Porkchop
01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately it happens! Look at this fish that I saw yesterday when searching for the metro I needed for my fish. This place is huge and very popular. It is connected to a Petland and the dogs they sell you can see their ribs. So many people go in and out of this place daily and it's sad that they don't take better care of what they have.

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/AquaticProfessionals.htm

This fish was at the Hoffman Estates location here in IL
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_IMG00189.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=IMG00189.jpg)
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_IMG00190.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=IMG00190.jpg)

To answer your question, yes, I believe it's all a scam. Anything these shops can do to make a quick dollar. If you think about it, it's job security because if your fish dies and your the average person, you're gonna go get more.

Anthony

Darren's Discus
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I think buyer beware,how many times do we here people posting my new fish is sick or my other fish are sick after i put a new fish with them,reality is due to the amount of fish that shops go through most do not have the room to quarentine fish.Roxy if it was a get rich quick scam alot more would be doing it,So once again if you go into a shop and the fish you are looking to buy or other in the tank dont look right DO NOT buy them no matter how good they look ! Its the same with any business if you do not display your product at its best your just losing business.

cheers

kenhappen2u
01-05-2009, 12:59 AM
IMO pet shops MAKE THIER PROFITS FROM SELLING SUPPLIES NOT HEALTHY STOCK.

I have also met some very straight forward salesmen who flat out told me not to buy fish from certin tanks as fish were sick or they were treating the tank and i should wait. but for the most part they will sell you what you want and even a few things you dont need .

William Palumbo
01-05-2009, 01:18 AM
They don't care. Not a scam. Just ignorance. If they sell only ONE Discus...at their usually rediculous prices....that one fish pays for the whole tank...plus some. Forget trying to help them with their Discus...they don't want to hear that. And is the main reason I do not purchase from pet shops...except in an emergency...Bill

Porkchop
01-05-2009, 04:18 AM
IMO pet shops MAKE THIER PROFITS FROM SELLING SUPPLIES NOT HEALTHY STOCK.
I have also met some very straight forward salesmen who flat out told me not to buy fish from certin tanks as fish were sick or they were treating the tank and i should wait. but for the most part they will sell you what you want and even a few things you dont need .

Well, Roxanne didn't mention anything but supplies but that just goes right along with it. I've seen stuff $5 difference between 2 places on something that should cost $7. There is a line between making profit and just plain greedy. For this reason, there is a close petshop to my house that no longer gets my business. When I bought something and the owner just makes up prices as I'm at the register, makes ya wonder how the hell they are still open.

They don't care. Not a scam. Just ignorance. If they sell only ONE Discus...at their usually rediculous prices....that one fish pays for the whole tank...plus some. Forget trying to help them with their Discus...they don't want to hear that. And is the main reason I do not purchase from pet shops...except in an emergency...Bill

I agree with you as far as not purchasing them. The only reason I buy from pet shops is because I tend to buy things here and there and to have it shipped is just not worth it. Eventually, I want to get it to the point where I can order stuff all at once and avoid the "here and there" visits.

Anthony

Eddie
01-05-2009, 06:48 AM
I think Rox is just referring to the fish stock and not the supplies. Even the supplies at my LFS sucks but I order everything online anyways.

The fish available to me are the ONLY fish that I can get so I am pretty much &*(^&%! It is like playing russian roulette in there as to which tank is gonna have the next dead fish. One day a tank full of sick fish will be there and the next day thay won't. I'd hate to think somebody paid $40 dollars for some diseased discus. They must be selling cause they keep on stocking. Even the big wilds, half dead chilling in tanks for months at a price that most people could make a house payment with. Its rediculous over here. Its all about supply and demand. Somebody some day paid for a wild discus instead of paying their rent and now all of them are running for that price. No way! :mad:

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-05-2009, 08:48 AM
If all the fish in the world sold through a LFS lived....you think there would be people still buying fish? IMO, the tropical ornamental fish industry thrives on the death of the fish. It is almost a guarantee the customer will come back in again to either buy more fish, buy meds to fix what they have or to buy equipment to keep what they have alive. There is a reason why LFS/Petco/Petsmart have their fish prices jacked 300-400% (other than to cover their own loses)....customers fish dies, their water checks out ok, replace the fish, customer walks out happy along with a few other additional items the LFS employee suggests for them to get. Its a cycle to create additional repeat business......repeat business that is not always welcomed by the customer. Its unfortunate and sad the way it is, but there are LFS out there that do actually give a crap. Those ones unfortunetly are far and few between.

-Ryan