PDA

View Full Version : RO Pumps

discusD
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with using an RO pump. I am contemplating ordering one since my RO unit is under producing its 100 gpd rating by about 2/3. The water pressure out of the tap is hardly 40 psi and would like to boost this using the pump.

Are they easy to install, reliable, effective ect.?

Here is a link to the one I am interested in: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4473&pcatid=4473

Thanks!

discusD
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Just reaching out again for anyone with experience using RO pumps. Anyone?
Thanks!

Sir Knight
01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Here are two link to the pump you are talking about.

I have used them in the past and they do work. The one I had had the ability to reduce the presure if needed. If you have an auto shutoff you will need the additional part to shut down the pump.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/booster_pumps.htm

http://www.purelyh2o.com/home.php?cat=258

Joe W.

discusD
01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Sir! I like to cheaper prices.

Don Trinko
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
A larger (gpd) membrane may be cheaper than a R/O pump. Most of the ro pumps I have seen are $200 or more. Don T.

Sir Knight
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Don,

Check the links Above the prices are a lot better than 200.00.
Also input water PSI and temp will determine output so even with a membrane that has the capiblity to produce more product water you will still not be using the R/O unit to its full capabilities(waste water to product water)

Joe W.

Don Trinko
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Joe; i was going by the prices I have seen in a fish catolog. Don t.

MostlyDiscus
01-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I use a ro pump for my merlin. it works and shuts down when storage tanks are full. Ed

rfeiller
01-18-2009, 01:47 AM
what is the maximum psi rating for your R/0 membrane? many are 100psi or higher. there are other considerations. is it a TFC (thin film composite) or CA, TCA ( celulose) based membrane? if it is a TFC is the chlorine has to be removed prior to reaching the membrane, if it is a CA type you do not have to be concerned about the prior removeal of the chlorine.

make sure that the GAC filter has the capacity to handle the increased water flow.

the warmer the water the more product produced at a given psi, but the lower the rejection of the membrane. the colder water will produce less product (purified water) at the same psi, but the rejection of particulates will be greater (purer water).

check the specks as to what psi the system is designed to perform at. 50psi is low for a booster pump.

you can add another small membrane and run them parralel to produce more water.

if you want to boost your system, you can purchase a pro-con pump, mine runs at 200psi.

rfeiller
01-18-2009, 01:53 AM
by the way how long have you had the system? are you on well water?

RandalB
02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
The Aquatec 68-8800 series are the best available for non-commercial RO applications. I've been using them for better than 10 years and I sold them as well. I've seen only 2x failures (that were replaced by aquatec with no questions asked) in that time. You can't go wrong with them.

You should be able to get a full booster kit for less than $150. Check Ebay or any of the commercial RO guys.

HTH,
RandalB

discusD
02-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey rfeiller,
I have had my R/O unit for a couple years and no, I don't have well water.

All,
The update is I ordered an Aquatech 8800 and it has made such a difference. My R/O unit has more than doubled its production and is much more efficient. The product water before the pump was registering a TDS of 30-40 ppm and after the pump, 2 ppm. I couldn't be happier. And I have to promote The Filter Guys from whom I bought the pump. They were extremely knowledgeable and in my opinion, very reasonably priced. I will give them my R/O business from now on.

Thanks!!!