PDA

View Full Version : PYTHON WATER CHANGES

captain morgan
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
When doing a water change with a python, upon filling the tank back up from the tap all of the thousands of tiny micro bubbles that are being dispersed throughout the tank due to the O2 in the tap water being added back in, not only collect on all of the plants and hardscape in my tank which is normal, but also onto the bodies of my 6 discus. The bubbles usually take about 2 hours to all dissipate off the plants and such and do so- one by one. It only takes about 10 minutes before they start to come off the discus from their swimming, sometimes they even shake them off and when they do it's like like a long thread of bubbles, still all stuck together. Am I correct to assume these bubbles are initially attaching to the discus's slime coat, and if so is this causing any stress or harm? Because it almost looks like their shedding a skin coat of bubbles. I've never noticed the bubbles collect on any other fish I've kept so was wondering if this is normal with discus?

Eddie
01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
When doing a water change with a python, upon filling the tank back up from the tap all of the thousands of tiny micro bubbles that are being dispersed throughout the tank due to the O2 in the tap water being added back in, not only collect on all of the plants and hardscape in my tank which is normal, but also onto the bodies of my 6 discus. The bubbles usually take about 3-4 hours to all dissipate off the plants and such and do so- one by one. It only takes about 10 minutes before they start to come off the discus from their swimming, sometimes they even shake them off and when they do it's like like a long thread of bubbles, still all stuck together. Am I correct to assume these bubbles are initially attaching to the discus's slime coat, and if so is this causing any stress or harm? Because it almost looks like their shedding a skin coat of bubbles. I've never noticed the bubbles collect on any other fish I've kept so was wondering if this is normal with discus?

Thats their slime coat. The PH of the water going in the tank is lower than than the PH in the tank. Check the PH of the water in the tank before you do a WC and check PH of you tap. Bet you find the tap water has a lower PH.

;)

captain morgan
01-09-2009, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=basshead;491930]Thats their slime coat. The PH of the water going in the tank is lower than than the PH in the tank. Check the PH of the water in the tank before you do a WC and check PH of you tap. Bet you find the tap water has a lower PH.

Thanks for the response Basshead. Actually the PH in the tank should be the lower of the 2 due to CO2 injection. So if this is the bubbles sticking to their slime coat, Are you saying their slime coat is coming off? Does anyone else notice these bubbles on their discus upon using the python to refill the tank from the tap, this probably does not apply to those of you who age their water? A few more responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

noogiec
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I see the same thing, but only in the colder months. I presume it is related to the much colder water coming into the hot water tank, and the effect of heating on the gases in the outside water. ( The bubbles are in the hot tap water, not in the cold tap water.) Don't notice any negative effect on the fish. Also, the water out of the tap is the same pH as the tank water.