PDA

View Full Version : Hierachy changes?

frenchie100
01-07-2009, 02:14 AM
hi everyone,
I posted a couple days ago about my 2 discus and one being very aggressive and the other being stuck in the right hand corner of my tank by fear of being chased by the other, at all times. I was given a great suggestion, while I wait for more discus, to use an eggcrate to seperate the two.
Well, I bought the eggcrate, just haven't had a chance to put it in, because I need to rearrange their furniture to put it in, and I am really sick.
What is interesting is that the one discus has actually started fighting back now! Swims more freely and will nip back if provoked! They also do this thing, and for lack of better words, can describe as tail whipping? They get parrallel to eachother, as close as possible, and whip eachother with their tails, kind of like a snake slithering moving. Does that make sense?
Has anyone seen that, and what does it mean?
Thank you
-Julie

Eddie
01-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Its fine, its how they fight or show aggression. Mine do it all the time. Actually bull fight too, like rams.

Eddie

TankWatcher
01-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I'd wondered what that parallel, tail whipping thingy was. Only saw it for the first time this week. Curious little creates, these discus

Riche_guy
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Its amazing to see a fish fight back after being provoked for a long time. Just like other animals in the animal kingdom, if the bully gets sick or weak, another discus may take his place in the hierachy, even the one being bullied!! Being at the top allows for first pick of the females/males and food.

mmorris
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear you are sick Julie. Feel better soon. :)

frenchie100
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay thanks, I'm glad it's normal. I kind of like the fact that he is fighting back, puts the other one in his place:o!

mmorris-thanks, I feel like my head is about to explode, but at least my kids fought it off better than I did, so at least I am thankful for that :)!