View Full Version : My Discus Will Only Eat Brine Shrimp - Now What?

CammieTime
01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
My Discus LOVE brine shrimp, but refuse to eat anything else. The bully eats only brine shrimp, while the ones on the bottom of the totem pole are forced to eat some pellet food off on the tank bottom.

I bought special discus flake food, which they refuse to eat, they actually like the flake food for the cardinal tetras better!

So, if brine shrimp is available they will eat it. If it is not available they do not eat.

I also tried bloodworms and they didn't eat those either.

What do I do?

rickztahone
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
My Discus LOVE brine shrimp, but refuse to eat anything else. The bully eats only brine shrimp, while the ones on the bottom of the totem pole are forced to eat some pellet food off on the tank bottom.

I bought special discus flake food, which they refuse to eat, they actually like the flake food for the cardinal tetras better!

So, if brine shrimp is available they will eat it. If it is not available they do not eat.

I also tried bloodworms and they didn't eat those either.

What do I do?

starve them for a day and see if they don't eat then. they must have a balanced diet

Eddie
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, starving them for a day or 2 can help. Otherwise, try mixing foods. Only drop in a small amount of BS and add a little of whatever other food you are trying to get them to eat.

One thing I do myself is turn the temp up on the tank to 88F. This increases the fishes metabolism and encourages them to eat. It works for me

Eddie