PDA

View Full Version : Tank size limmits discus size?

zoolado
01-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Would like to hear your take on tank size being limmiting factor for growth of discus?What is smallest tank size that you could keep let say 4 discus with 100% dayli WC?

Eddie
01-10-2009, 03:08 AM
A 40 gallon but a 55 would be better. Then again, just get a 55 because you will always want more discus.

;)

Porkchop
01-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Just go buy about three 55 gallon tanks because eventually, you will want more...trust me!!!

Good luck!!

Anthony

Eddie
01-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Just go buy about three 55 gallon tanks because eventually, you will want more...trust me!!!

Good luck!!

Anthony

Anthony is RIGHT! I started with a 55 thinking I was gonna do a little easy set-up, nothing really crazy. Now I have two 55 gallons, three 29 gallons, one ten gallon and two fives. The fives are the wife's.

I am building stands to get even more tanks, it just never ends. LOL

zoolado
01-11-2009, 04:37 AM
I gues didnt get my message acros.I have 125gal,35,20 gal tank runing plus 25 gal storage.I wonder can you get away smaller tank by upping WC

Eddie
01-11-2009, 04:46 AM
I gues didnt get my message acros.I have 125gal,35,20 gal tank runing plus 25 gal storage.I wonder can you get away smaller tank by upping WC

NO

mmorris
01-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Would like to hear your take on tank size being limmiting factor for growth of discus?What is smallest tank size that you could keep let say 4 discus with 100% dayli WC?

I wouldn't keep 4 discus as a group to start with. I would either keep a breeding pair, or a minimum of 6. So, unless you are keeping a breeding pair, IMO 55 gal. is the minimum.

TankWatcher
01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
From what I've read, you need minimum of 10G per adult discus, so like Eddie says, 40G minimum. IMO upping the wc wouldn't change this.

Eddie
01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I have kept 6 discus in a 29 gallon before, not ideal at all. I wasn't feeding them like I should have and the WCs were insane. Even then only one or 2 actually grew any bigger than the rest and they were all stunted. Thats the facts of discus.

Eddie

Don Trinko
01-11-2009, 10:37 AM
There have been studies with food fish .(trout) You can raise a trout to full size in a small tube of water IF you suppy it with clean water and enough food.
I have been to a place that raises tilapia for resterants . They were in a shallow cement pond. There were so many fish it was hard to see the bottom! these examples were by experts that knew what they were doing.
They probably didn't get it right the 1st try.

My largest discus was raised with 3 others in a 29g. No, it is not 8" but it is an honest 6.5" and not 2 years old yet. Is this the best way to go? NO, Bigger is better and as previously mentioned if you get hooked you will want more discus. I now have 4 discus tanks. 29,38,55, and 75.
Discus require clean water, warm temperature, stable ph and a variety of good food . All of the above IMO. Don T.

Triadtropz
01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I picked up a 55 with hood, and real wood stand..for 169.00 at my lfs..thats the cheapest ive seen..i prefer a 75 for gas exchange reasons though..75's a great tank.

Porkchop
01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
A 75 gallon is exactly what I'm looking for right now but used. I already have a 55 gallon too...

Anthony

DiscusOnly
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't like the 55gal foot print at all. I would prefer a 75gal over 55gal for $30 more (new). I used my 37gal cube for grow-out and I actually like that size a lot.

If you plan to grow out 6-8 discus, go with a 75 or 90.

Yassmeena
01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I picked up a 55 with hood, and real wood stand..for 169.00 at my lfs..thats the cheapest ive seen..i prefer a 75 for gas exchange reasons though..75's a great tank.

I got a 55 gallon tank, with hood, lights stand, Fluval 304 filter and heaters for $120 on Craigs List.

I think you should start out on the right foot - get 6 discus in a 55 gallon.

I was in the same shoes as you a few months ago and wanted to save $, but in the end the best way to save $ is to raise healthy discus that:

#1 - you will like so much you will not want to replace
#2 - will survive so you will not have to replace

HTH!

Yasmin

Graham
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
There have been studies with food fish .(trout) You can raise a trout to full size in a small tube of water IF you suppy it with clean water and enough food.
I have been to a place that raises tilapia for resterants . They were in a shallow cement pond. There were so many fish it was hard to see the bottom! these examples were by experts that knew what they were doing.
They probably didn't get it right the 1st try.

My largest discus was raised with 3 others in a 29g. No, it is not 8" but it is an honest 6.5" and not 2 years old yet. Is this the best way to go? NO, Bigger is better and as previously mentioned if you get hooked you will want more discus. I now have 4 discus tanks. 29,38,55, and 75.
Discus require clean water, warm temperature, stable ph and a variety of good food . All of the above IMO. Don T.

Don is absolutely right...you can raise Shamu in a bathtub as long as you maintain the water quality and food. The idea that a fish will only grow to the size of thier tank is a myth

Porkchop
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Yassmin, the only problem with Craigslist is that people think they can get an arm and a leg for their used stuff!! The average person pays so much for the stuff in the stores not realizing how cheap things are online.

For example, today I saw an iron stand for a 55 gallon for only $50 online at Petco, but then I saw someone trying to sell theirs for $40. I made them an offer of $20 and told them how cheap it was to get online. If they say no, then I move on to the next one I find. I'm in no hurry lol.

Anthony

Eddie
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Don is absolutely right...you can raise Shamu in a bathtub as long as you maintain the water quality and food. The idea that a fish will only grow to the size of thier tank is a myth

Right Graham, it is possible but is not the norm. The proper diet and water quality that discus require is key. Unless there was a constant flow of clean water and good feedings, there will be set backs. So true, you can possibly grow discus out in a smaller tank but a larger tank will be easier for you to maintain the water quality that discus need.

Eddie

Graham
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Ed to rephrase what I said......size doesn't matter...quality does :D

Eddie
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Ed to rephrase what I said......size doesn't matter...quality does :D

Hahaha, I thought you were gonna say the motion of the ocean! Or how you rock the boat! :D

Eddie

pc55
01-12-2009, 05:04 AM
I have raised 6 discus in a 50 gallon BB tank on two separate occasions with 80% daily WC and 5-6 feedings daily of BH, BS and BW and ended up with 6"-7" adults, so I dont buy into the notion that tank size will limit discus size.

However, I ended up losing the first group of them due to a failed air pump so I have to agree with the others that a larger tank certainly provides a greater margin of safety.

Joe

Eddie
01-12-2009, 05:08 AM
I have raised 6 discus in a 50 gallon BB tank on two separate occasions with 80% daily WC and 5-6 feedings daily of BH, BS and BW and ended up with 6"-7" adults, so I dont buy into the notion that tank size will limit discus size.

However, I ended up losing the first group of them due to a failed air pump so I have to agree with the others that a larger tank certainly provides a greater margin of safety.

Joe

Hiya Joe, nobody says you can't do it, just not recommended. I actually have another job aside from doing WCs on all my tanks, plus money and electrics can get expensive. If you can do it, thats great.

pc55
01-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Hiya Joe, nobody says you can't do it, just not recommended. I actually have another job aside from doing WCs on all my tanks, plus money and electrics can get expensive. If you can do it, thats great.

Fortunately (or unfortunately ;) ), I've only got 2 tanks to take care of for now so it has worked out for me so far. I was just sharing my experience (limited as it maybe) and my belief that tank size wont limit discus size with proper care.

Eddie
01-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Fortunately (or unfortunately ;) ), I've only got 2 tanks to take care of for now so it has worked out for me so far. I was just sharing my experience (limited as it maybe) and my belief that tank size wont limit discus size with proper care.

Hi again Joe, your experience must not be too limited if you are growing out some discus to 6-7inches. You must be doing something right. ;)

It's actually good to know that growing out discus can be done in smaller than recommended tanks. 6 or 7 discus in 50 gallon is fine, I think. Nice work and nice discus you have there in your avatar.

Eddie

Triadtropz
01-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I think a good rule of thumb is ten gallons per fish,...

Don Trinko
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
1 discus per 10g is a good "guide ". The breeders violate this big time! But they know what they are doing.
6 small discus look abought right in a 29g BUT 6 large discus is definatly a crowd in a 29g. It is amazing how fast they grow. I said all this to say: Get the diggest tank you can and start with 6 or more quality discus. A biiger tank also insures that the water parameters will change slower in case of a problem. If you start with a small tank ( more than 1 discus per 10g) plan on a bigger tank SOON.
I,m not saying it can't be done in a smaller tank but you need to have the time and equipment for more WC, proper cleaning and feeding.
The 10g/discus is a good guide line. If you do not observe it and get sloppy in your wc and cleaning you will get sick or dead discus. Don T.

Leopardshark
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello all.
I would like to know the dimensions of a 55 gal tank.
Anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Don Trinko
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
48x13x20 Don t.