PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sandbed

Sandbed
01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
HI everyone, My name is DOUG. I go by the handle of Sandbed ( from my Reefing days ). I live in Sunny & Hot Clovis California good old USA!

I recently set up my old 200 gallon reef tank and made it into a planted discus tank. I'm looking forward to learning more about these beautiful fish and there husbandry.

First 2 Q's for all you.

#1 I've heard both Pros and Cons about feeding live black worms. Seems like the consensus around here is that it is OK? Anyone had problems with this?

#2 Some where on here i read that your not supposed run CARBON in a Discus tank? Why? I've never ran a tank without atleast using carbon ocassionally.

Thanks for the Answers in advance, and its nice to find a place where you can go to get them.

DOUG

White Worm
01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
The way live black worms are grown and kept make them a topic of health to feed to discus. Some do and some dont. I have not so i dont know, i have fed other live worms like white worms and discus love them.

Carbon isnt required for the discus tank as it is said that carbon may remove certain things from the water that discus need. Carbon can be used and is normally used to remove chemicals and medications after treatment but only temporarily.

HI everyone, My name is DOUG. I go by the handle of Sandbed ( from my Reefing days ). I live in Sunny & Hot Clovis California good old USA!

I recently set up my old 200 gallon reef tank and made it into a planted discus tank. I'm looking forward to learning more about these beautiful fish and there husbandry.

First 2 Q's for all you.

#1 I've heard both Pros and Cons about feeding live black worms. Seems like the consensus around here is that it is OK? Anyone had problems with this?

#2 Some where on here i read that your not supposed run CARBON in a Discus tank? Why? I've never ran a tank without atleast using carbon ocassionally.

Thanks for the Answers in advance, and its nice to find a place where you can go to get them.

DOUG

Darren's Discus
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Doug,
welcome to simply.

cheers

Eddie
01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey Doug and Welcome!

You brought up 2 topics that will get disputed over for lifetimes to come. I will tell you what I do and you can go from there. All in all, I think it would best to ask a Discus sponsor the questions. Reason being, you'll find alot of people know alot about tropical fish. Discus are not your average elongated goldfish with spots.

I do not feed black worms. If there was any link whatsover to these worms causing disease in discus I have no clue. I just don't feed them to my discus. I primarily use a my own seafood mix that's loaded with way more nutrients that what any black worms has. ;)

Now...Carbon, it is not needed unless you are removing meds, smells or dyes from the tank water. I have never used it, not even to remove meds. I just do huge 100% WCs and that takes out the meds.

One more bit of advice, if you get some advice from someone, look at that persons credibility by searching other posts, discus tanks they currently have, how long they've kept discus. Hell, there are people who never even owned discus that give advice on here. I don't know about you...but I don't need a fighter pilot telling me how to fly a C-130.

HTH
Eddie

Sandbed
01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm currently feeding frozen bloodworms and live black worms to my Discus. But can't seem to get them to eat much of anything else. I think i will try some of the recipes for beefheart and shrimp food.

I run the carbon for the water clarifying capabilities. It does a good job of soaking up the tannins leached by the wood in my tank. That and the 40 gallon water changes i do 2-3 times a week.

Eddie
01-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds good, post some pics of the tank and fish when you can.

Good luck
Eddie

Sandbed
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
When i get a free second i take some pics for ya. All my Discus are small, 2.5-3".