PDA

View Full Version : breeder tank setup

iwantdiscus
01-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Two of my discus in the community tank have paired up and laid eggs. My question is, how do you go about "cycling" a separate tank with a sponge filter inside and a heater? Is there any else special to do, ie: cycle with what, how long, etc. Just throwing water in, turning on a sponge filter and heater doesn't seem to me the right setup. In my planted tank, I know just what to do, now I am at a loss.....

White Worm
01-10-2009, 07:03 PM
You are right. Do a search here about fishless cycle. Ammonia can be used to cycle the tank. You can also run a sponge filter in your existing community tank for a few weeks to cultivate the bacteria, transfer that to the new breeding tank, fill with new water and add your pair. Just make sure you watch your ammonia and nitrites to make sure you dont have a mini cycle. Lots of large water changes will keep things manageable.

Triadtropz
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I would cycle a new filter in the community tank, and move it with the pair when it's cycled...the fishes breeding chemistry is tied into the filters..move the fish without the filter. they will probably stop spawning..

Mr Wild
01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
You can also seed your new tank with filter media from your community tank. If you have ceramic rings transfer a couple of cup fulls into a bag or stocking and hang in the breeding tank above an air stone. This will keep the bacteria active, also place your sponge filter in and leave both in place. If you have only sponges in your community tank you can take 1 out and place on you sponge filter or do the same as above but you will need a stone or something to keep it weighted down. Remember whatever you take from your community tank will mean that tank also needs to increase its bacteria again, it is safe to do BUT do not take ALL the media from your community tank you want to leave more rather than less in there. By doing this you can move your breeding pair asap rather than wait a couple of weeks. Also if you do this today say make sure you feed your bacteria with a little fish food each day until you transfer your fish. Check ammonia levels daily on both tanks. I have used this method many times and I have had no problem with it.
Hope this helps
Kath

iwantdiscus
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the comments, but my main tank is a planted with overflow and sump, I have no sponge I can transfer, I only use bio-balls and a couple of sponges in the sump, but am sure these are not going to work with a sponge filter that I keep seeing in all these BB tanks. I am just not sure what to do to "cycle" a new breeder tank. Is there any chemicals to use? Or anything else, do I need a HOB to cycle something before the move?

Mr Wild
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok well I didn't reallise, the best thing to do then is to put your sponge from the filter into the sump and let the bacteria move onto that, but it might take a week or so.
Having said that if you plan big water changes like 80-90% then that should be fine as you are eliminating alot of the "food" the filter needs to deal with.:)

mmorris
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I only use bio-balls and a couple of sponges in the sump, ... Or anything else, do I need a HOB to cycle something before the move?

The ideas mentioned will work just fine. I would put a sponge or bioballs from the sump into an HOB if I didn't want to wait for another sort of sponge to seed. Then you're good to go! Just watch the ammonia level.