PDA

View Full Version : Heaters in the Albino Tank

mmorris
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
What are those of you who breed albinos using for heaters? Every one I have seen seems to have a lot of black on it. I probably better get this one figured out since my albino turqs have paired up. Will it work to put a white sock over a heater?

dpt8
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Martha, Actually a Visitherm heater is pretty much all glass. I bought mine from Jehmco.

mmorris
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
The top half appears black in the picture though.

mmorris
01-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Has anyone tried putting a heater in a white sock? Is it safe? Does it affect the temp?

kaceyo
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't try putting a sock over the heater. It might insulate it enough to cause damage. You could put the heatr into a large white pvc pipe that's tilted enough to carry bubbles from an airstone through for circulation.
I wouldn't worry about it untill/unless it causes problems.

Kacey

majik
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Martha stainless steel (ss)lol heaters are pretty light in colour :)

CliffsDiscus
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Martha,
Try placing the heater flat on the bottom of the tank or use a heater guard. Picture is a heatguard over a Stealth 100 watt heater.

bs6749
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I like the idea of using PVC if you think that the color of the heater might make a difference. I'd put the heater horizontally along the bottom part of the tank and then place a piece of PVC pipe over it. I'd make sure that the PVC pipe is cut into half along the long part so you essentially have a half circle formed. I'd also recommend drilling a bunch of small holes into the PVC pipe to allow for better heat dissipation.

mmorris
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't had a problem with fry and the Stealths or partial-black heaters before but if my albinos are going to hatch, they are going to hatch tomorrow am and if there are attachment issues, I'd like to have this one sorted.