PDA

View Full Version : "Used" Discus

grandrapids9
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi, I have 3 discus that are doing wonderful and have them in my 90 gal (want to get 2 more), well I bought a Craigslist discus yesterday and did not have time or really wanted to drive 40 miles to see him he said he was coming to GR anyways, so we agreed on $40 for his fish that was to be about 5 inches - blue something striped, well me met at a local gas station and I looked at it and it was about 4 inches...no biggy. I brought it home and talk about underfed, its very skinny, so I have it in my 30 isolation tank, and just turned the heat up to 88 to encourage it to eat, it is hardly touching food at 84. Well now I have a project to bring him back the way he should be, and also have a question, the tail fin is nipped a little...do they grow back, if I remember is that they do. The guy had it in his 125 gal tank with a 22 inch Arowana? and a very large Pleco and a cat. I learned my lesson - no sight unseen from local guys, but it will be my project fish. Oh Well.

Eddie
01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes, the fin will grow back. Also with the transport and new home he is just stressed. Give him time to settle and I'm sure with the 88F, he'll be eating some FBW in no time.

The only thing that gets me is him being skinny. Healthy discus...ain't skinny. So you will most likely be needing to handle a few things in the....so called test phase. :D Keep your eyes peeled for any symptoms of illness.

Good luck with your new Discus

Diamond Discus
01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
been there done that....never again. I had to put the fish down after 2 weeks. really sad....

bs6749
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Any pictures of the fish? I looked on CL but didn't see anything about discus. Most likely the seller removed the ad.

Don Trinko
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
the "skinny" would be a deal breaker for me. Every skinny fish i have ever had was a picky eater, sick every so offten and eventualy died. I have had several that kept alive for close to a year but they never grew much. Don T.

Peachtree Discus
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
The only thing that gets me is him being skinny. Healthy discus...ain't skinny. So you will most likely be needing to handle a few things in the....so called test phase.

i agree with basshead. IME, skinny discus can be an indicator of worms. get some of its poop under a microscope if u can.

grandrapids9
01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Any pictures of the fish? I looked on CL but didn't see anything about discus. Most likely the seller removed the ad.

Hi, Here is the ad from Craigslist, those are stock pictures of all fish, mine is stressed and not like that. Never again from this dude will I buy, anyone should take anything this guy says with two grains of salt.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hsh/981625468.html

mikel
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Are you in Holland? The ad seems to indicate that the seller is...mike

grandrapids9
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Are you in Holland? The ad seems to indicate that the seller is...mike

Hi, I am in Grand Rapids, Kentwwod area. Where you at - do you have any nice discus available. I ordered mine from Larry Schneider, and his are great, I am looking for a solid red and something else for variety, these are in a planted 90 gal, I am not into the breeding thing.

Don Trinko
01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If you are in Grand rapids Michigan Carry Strong has a store nearby. It is called "Great lakes Dsicus " and he is a sponser here , also one of the most knowledgable for discus disease. Don T.

Tonyintx
01-17-2009, 04:12 PM
With Cary u will NEVER be disappointed.

mikel
01-17-2009, 05:27 PM
No I dont have any available. I am hardly a breeder, just a hobbyist novice here to learn. I would suggest you get your discus from the sponsors here, not so much because they are associated with the site, but because they truly know what they are doing, and have very good stock. I have learned that if you begin with good stock, your experience in the hobby is that much more satisfying, and potentially less stressful. Good luck! mike