PDA

View Full Version : Need another Growout tank???

susantroy1
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey folks, I need your advice.
I bought 8 discus from Kenny's sept Shipment and 6 out of 8 from that order have reached 5-6" and they are in a 55G BB. feedings are 3-4 times a day with daily WCs of 30-40%. I'm beginning to wonder if I should split them up and start another 55G (my daughter's neglected tank) for the remainder of their stay in the grow out phase (another 5 months) prior to placing them all in the 140 display. I want the best chance for their growth rate success while they are still under a year old. I'm worried about the additional costs involved though.... My Filtration on the 55 grow out tank has a 305 fluval canister, a 90 gal rated wet/trickle sump/ 1 sponge.
I was thinking... I could add another power head for the sump and another overflow box to the new 55g for the dual sump filtration method, or should I just move the fluval to the new 55g as a stand alone filtration and leave the sump for one tank? I have to admit I'm not crazy about the prospect of another tank to maintain as I'm pretty taxed as it is already... I believe 8 in a 55g might be pushing the envelope as far as Optimum growth as a goal though. Any thoughts or experience in this???

All The Best

Troy

William Palumbo
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
8 Discus in a 55 gallon is not too bad...but with your filtration and wc's, it sounds good. Splitting the fish up, since there is only 8, may cause them to become skittish, as you know they do best in larger groups. But I feel you have answered your own question about a second tank. You don't seem to be too happy about the expense involved in another tank...and with maintaining a second tank. If it's too much work already, best to NOT start the other tank. It may be more room, but if negelcted...what is the point?...Bill

Peachtree Discus
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I have to admit I'm not crazy about the prospect of another tank to maintain as I'm pretty taxed as it is already...

this statement also jumps out at me. when i was using buckets, i realized it was the level of work that was required that was making me lose my interest in the hobby. the more trips i had to made with buckets, the less i would want to change water. ....wouldn't want u to get burned out.

DiscussDiscus
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Troy,

Before you spring to another tank, take a moment and analyze all the steps you currently do and see how you can streamline them.

My rule for whenever I anticipate adding another tank is to require myself to increase my efficiency on my CURRENT tanks by the same amount of time as the new tank will take, thus allowing me to spend the same amount of time (aka effort) each night on work, as opposed to enjoying my fish.

Can you get a longer python hose or a stronger pump?

Can you plumb a couple of tanks together to do a single water change?

Can you introduce auto-feeding for 1-2 meals a day?

Can you automate portions of your water change?

I've found even little things like increasing my return pump for my water changes (without harming the fish from the current, mind you!) has done wonders. I now can return my 30 gallon WC in about 2-3 minutes, where as with my old pump it would take 15 minutes. That alone has made me feel comfortable doing more WC's a week and thus increase the overall wellbeing of my fish.

Either way, let us know what you want to do!

Regards,
Lee

TJT
01-15-2009, 07:36 PM
this statement also jumps out at me. when i was using buckets, i realized it was the level of work that was required that was making me lose my interest in the hobby. the more trips i had to made with buckets, the less i would want to change water. ....wouldn't want u to get burned out.

my 75" python hose was the best $$$ ever spent. even doing WC on a 25g with buckets got to be taxing.

Peachtree Discus
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
not making any assumptions about you using buckets or whatever. i guess i am saying the same thing as Lee.....try to streamline your wc process.

i hear you on the cost part, that's y i am stuck where i am now.