PDA

View Full Version : Corydoras Virginiae

bavaria36
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with keeping Corydoras Virginiae ? I have a group of 10 in one of my discus tanks. They have been doing very well but I am not quite sure whether the temperatures ( 82-84 degf ) will be too high for them in the long run.

Here are a couple of pictures of them

Aaron

dpt8
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Did you ask Dan when you picked up the heckels ?? These are the corys I was asking about in a different thread I believe.. Someone should weigh in soon. I was wondering about opinions on adolphis but did see someone had kept them in warm temps. Good luck.

bavaria36
01-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I think that I may have asked him when I originally got the cories ( they were also from him ) and he said they would be OK. But it would be good to get some other info from someone else who may have kept them.

I had not seen these type before.

Aaron

rickztahone
01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
they look a lot like panda corydoras. they look really nice

Eddie
01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
They are not Panda corys, I have several in another CT and Pandas have 3 areas of black. On the face, the top fin and just before the tail fin.

Eddie

kirkp
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Aaron
Check out this website. Good info.

Kirk

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/corydoras_virginiae.html

bavaria36
01-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Thks Kirk,

looks like I am at the upper limit ( 82 degf ) according to this website. Saying that, the same site gives the upper limit for Sterbais at 83 degf. Sterbais do well at discus temperatures so maybe the Virginiae will be OK

Aaron

Triadtropz
01-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Thks Kirk,

looks like I am at the upper limit ( 82 degf ) according to this website. Saying that, the same site gives the upper limit for Sterbais at 83 degf. Sterbais do well at discus temperatures so maybe the Virginiae will be OK

Aaron

good luck with the corys...my luck with corys, and L plecos, and discus. is not good...I think it's the lack of oxygen at higher temps...

dpt8
01-18-2009, 08:21 AM
I also have 7 oiapoquensis cories which look like pandas with white and black stripes on their tails. They are a warm water cory.

rickztahone
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
They are not Panda corys, I have several in another CT and Pandas have 3 areas of black. On the face, the top fin and just before the tail fin.

Eddie

oh i know they are not pandas but i'm saying there are similarities. do all corydoras have limits as in higher temps that discus are usually set in? i have three types of corydoras and they do well with me at 84

Eddie
01-18-2009, 08:32 PM
oh i know they are not pandas but i'm saying there are similarities. do all corydoras have limits as in higher temps that discus are usually set in? i have three types of corydoras and they do well with me at 84

Sorry Rick, thought you were saying that they could have been pandas....my bad. :o

Eddie

plecocicho
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Bavaria go to
www.planetcatfish.com and ask on forum about this corydoras. If any they shuold definetelly know.

Triadtropz
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Bavaria go to
www.planetcatfish.com and ask on forum about this corydoras. If any they shuold definetelly know.

good idea...Ive been going to that site for years..catfish and plecos are my second love..

bavaria36
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Thks for the hint. I posted a question today on Planet catfish. I also did a search through the forums but strangely enough there were very few references to Virginiae. I did not think that it was an uncommon species but it seems like there are not too many people with them.

Aaron

Triadtropz
01-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Thks for the hint. I posted a question today on Planet catfish. I also did a search through the forums but strangely enough there were very few references to Virginiae. I did not think that it was an uncommon species but it seems like there are not too many people with them.

Aaron

hi aaron you've had the corys over a week?..how are they doing?..eating? breathing ok?..they might be just fine in that tank..

bavaria36
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
hi aaron you've had the corys over a week?..how are they doing?..eating? breathing ok?..they might be just fine in that tank..

I have had them for a few months now. They seem to be doing great - very active and feeding fine.

My understanding was that if the temps are too high the fish will die off slowly ( but faster than they should under normal conditions ) rather than die soon after introduction to the tank

Aaron