PDA

View Full Version : discus tank stand

big mike 13
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
im about to purchase a new 55 gallon tank for my discus to be placed in my room and was thinking... instead of buying a all glass stand... is it possible to put the tank on top of clothes drawers instead? to save on space and money.. i was thinking of getting- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30053921
i see anoither member here is using the same as well, but my sister told me it would not hold, especially if it gets wet... any input/experiences?
thanks

Darrell Ward
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I would never recommend placing several hundred pounds of tank and water on furniture. It might hold, but it might not. Why take the chance? If money is a concern, metal stands can be purchased cheaply for a 55 gal. I've even seen them at Walmart. :)

marnold
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I would not trust a Ikea dresser to hold that much weight!Make your own out of 2x4's or buy a stand built for it.I wouldnt take the chance

rickztahone
01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
those things are not sturdy enough. like other members said, if money is a concern then get a metal stand. also, are you going to use a HOB or a canister filter?

Patr1ck
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Ikea stuff isnt held together well enough to support a fish tank, Heck its barely able to hold its self together. I definately wouldnt do it.

P

DiscusOnly
01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
You lost me when you stated:

"to save on space and money.. i was thinking of getting". It's one thing if you have an existing piece of furniture that you are thinking of using but to go out to Ikea and buy that for a tank stand? You are better off building your own. Those Ikea furniture won't do well near moisture and they are not strong enough to hold he weight over time.

big mike 13
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
i will be going to use a HOB and sponge filter... and the space and money issue... what i meant is that i just redecorated my room.. all my old furniture is white and now i want it to be black... if i were to purchase new drawers it would save space AND money if i can throw it on top while looking good as well, opposed to buying new drawers and finding even more space for a stand.. as my space is limited in my room
what i was referring to was -- http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=44891&highlight=malm
hes using 3 and using a way bigger tank than 55... 3 of those drawers are 90 somewhat inches so he has a pretty big tank..

well i guess ill be going the stand route anyhow..

vera
01-18-2009, 03:48 PM
and
it says

"good to know
This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed anti-topple device."

rickztahone
01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
i will be going to use a HOB and sponge filter... and the space and money issue... what i meant is that i just redecorated my room.. all my old furniture is white and now i want it to be black... if i were to purchase new drawers it would save space AND money if i can throw it on top while looking good as well, opposed to buying new drawers and finding even more space for a stand.. as my space is limited in my room
what i was referring to was -- http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=44891&highlight=malm
hes using 3 and using a way bigger tank than 55... 3 of those drawers are 90 somewhat inches so he has a pretty big tank..

off topic but thats a great looking tank. just because it works for him doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you

kenhappen2u
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
only and if only you have full coverage w/flood damage on your home owners ins.

otherwise i wouldn't .

Ken

Eddie
01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
only and if only you have full coverage w/flood damage on your home owners ins.

otherwise i wouldn't .

Ken

Ken's right...the only space you 'll be saving is the one in your wallet where your money used to go before you had to pay for all the damage.

Eddie

Patr1ck
01-18-2009, 11:38 PM

See how perfect that tank fits on that dresser. It looks like it was specially built. Built more as a "fishtank stand" with drawers added for clothes. Probably is more solidly built than an ordianary dresser. Unless that is the case I, under no circumstance, would put a tank as big as yours on anything that wasnt designed to hold the weight of an aquarium.

P

big mike 13
01-19-2009, 02:27 AM
OV10pat-- hes using the same IKEA dressers as i mentioned in my original post.. i think his tank is just custom made to fit..
anywho, i will be getting a regular pine stand.. just wanted other input.

rickztahone
01-19-2009, 02:45 AM
OV10pat-- hes using the same IKEA dressers as i mentioned in my original post.. i think his tank is just custom made to fit..
anywho, i will be getting a regular pine stand.. just wanted other input.

pine stand sounds like a much better idea. it seems like that member did a lot of other things to re-enforce the stand. it's better to be safe than sorry

marnold
01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I find it hard to believe that that huge tank is on a cheap ikea dresser.Ikea uses laminated mdf and some solid wood faces.It comes flat packed and is a pain to assemble.That is a big heavy tank hard to believe its ikea holding it up.It looks custom made to me.possible with foux draw fronts to give the look to match the room its in.

CliffsDiscus
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Just buy some concrete blocks and 2 x 4's, strong and cheap.

big mike 13
01-19-2009, 11:23 PM
ended up buying a 46 bow with pine stand =).. thanks for your inputs

Patr1ck
01-19-2009, 11:30 PM
ended up buying a 46 bow with pine stand =).. thanks for your inputs

Im jealous, those ar such cool tanks. Congratulations!;)

P

trebor69
01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I like bow fronts

I'm sure something like a dresser stand could be done....like they say ...where theres a will theres a way.

But I wouldn't just buy one of those dressers and set a tank on it.

If you wanted to try this in the future I'm sure you could reinforce the dresser enough to hold the stand. Doing it without interfering with the drawers function might be tricky.

Heck sometimes I wonder how in the heck cheap pine stands MADE for aquariums hold the weight lol

DiscusOnly
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Just looking at the picture, I suspect that a custom stand was made (look at the thickness of the top, it ain't no Ikea junk). The Ikea drawer were probably used, it's quite simple to mount the rails from the Ikea unit.

Good call on going with a bow front tank. They are my favorite tank. I keep on telling myself that I would someday get the 175gal bowfront.