PDA

View Full Version : My Discus Laid Eggs!

aquadiva
01-17-2009, 11:59 PM
What a surprise! I just noticed that my Red Spotted Green and Turquoise laid eggs on the large piece of driftwood! They are guarding them like crazy. Can two Discus be moved into a tank as small as a 20 gallon for breeding? That is the size of my only other tank. They are currently in a 125 with several other discus, BN's and clowns. I'm sure these eggs will likely get eaten but they sure are protecting them. I noticed the other day that the Discus seemed more feisty with one another where usually they are quite peaceful. These would likely be some beautiful Discus if I could raise them. Anyway, just wanted to share the surprise as it really was one to us.:D:D

Anna :sun:

Eddie
01-18-2009, 12:21 AM
OH ANNA!!! That fantastic, I am so happy for you...that is amazing. If you can, photos would be great. Not that I have one clue about breeding but I have read many times that you should let them do it a few times in the community tank to establish a greater bond and then move them. I have also read that a 20 will work but a 29 is better, I'd use the 20 if thats all I had.

HTH
Eddie

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks Eddie!

I will attempt to take pictures tomorrow. They laid them on the back side of the driftwood so might be pretty difficult to get a photo but I'll try. Hopefullly they'll still be there in the morning. I'm not sure if the pleco's will eat them at night? I will likely send the pictures directly to you as I haven't posted photos here yet and not sure how to. I am technically stunted that way, LOL! I think you may be right too about leaving them to mate a couple of more times before moving them. If only I had room for a larger tank, even a 29 gallon!! I'm not sure the countertop would support it. I wish I could convince my husband to get rid of some furniture for more tank space! LOL! LOL!

Anna:D:D

Eddie
01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
HAHAHA LOL........I keep telling my wife.........We don't really need a sofa or a bed....we can just lay underneath all the fish tanks in sleeping bags!!!

;)

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=basshead;495391]HAHAHA LOL........I keep telling my wife.........We don't really need a sofa or a bed....we can just lay underneath all the fish tanks in sleeping bags!!!

LOL!:D:D:D Funny how the fish twist our minds!!!

Anna

mmorris
01-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Not that I have one clue about breeding but I have read many times that you should let them do it a few times in the community tank to establish a greater bond and then move them.
HTH
Eddie

Sorry Eddie, I just don't buy it. Congrats Anna! I'd recommend a 29 gal too. Go ahead and move 'em!

Eddie
01-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Sorry Eddie, I just don't buy it. Congrats Anna! I'd recommend a 29 gal too. Go ahead and move 'em!

What Martha....what don't you buy? :D

Eddie

Kenny's Discus
01-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Congratulation Anna! Now the fun begins lol...the fun in buying more tanks for breeders and frys I mean!:D:D Best of luck Anna and enjoy the moment.:)

Kenny

mmorris
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
What Martha....what don't you buy? :D

Eddie

Hi Eddie. I'm not convinced that having discus spawn several times in a community tank increases the chances of a successful spawn once they are in their own tank. It may simply be something I am unaware of. Perhaps our long-term breeders can comment on that. I would be interested.

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone.

Well, as I suspected, the eggs were eaten by this morning. I am thinking that the algae eater probably got them. I think I will try and move these two to another tank next month and see what happens.

I have a few questions...

Once the Discus lay eggs, should you leave the lights on 24/7? Or, do you start leaving the lights on 24/7 only once they are hatched? I've gone into the archives for a bit and found some helpful info there.

Does it take 3 days for the eggs to hatch once laid?

How soon after they hatch, do you start feeding bbs?

Also, how long can you leave a "cycled" tank without fish in it before it is no longer considered cycled and the good bacteria die off?

Thanks! I didn't intend to raise Discus and who knows if this will work, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. :D:D

By the way Kenny, My Red Spotted Green from you is one of my favorites!

Anna :sun:

mmorris
01-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I leave the lights on 24/7, but I have left the lights off when there were eggs and it didn't seem to matter.
60 hours to hatch, more or less, and it might vary according to temp. I'm not certain about that.
People start with the bbs as early as 3 days from free-swimming. I've been starting at 8 days but next time I will start on the 5th day. Make sure you can get the bbs to hatch well beforehand! I recommend hatching out a new batch twice a day because bbs are most nutritious when they are newly hatched.
Someone discussed the length of time a sponge will remain cycled but I don't remember off-hand. A few days anyway.
HTH
Martha

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I leave the lights on 24/7, but I have left the lights off when there were eggs and it didn't seem to matter.
60 hours to hatch, more or less, and it might vary according to temp. I'm not certain about that.
People start with the bbs as early as 3 days from free-swimming. I've been starting at 8 days but next time I will start on the 5th day. Make sure you can get the bbs to hatch well beforehand! I recommend hatching out a new batch twice a day because bbs are most nutritious when they are newly hatched.
Someone discussed the length of time a sponge will remain cycled but I don't remember off-hand. A few days anyway.
HTH
Martha

Thank you Martha! Does anyone ever feed frozen bbs? Or will they only eat newly hatched? What about micro worms?

Anna

mmorris
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I would feed microworms in conjuction with the bbs if I ever had it around when I have young fry. From what I understand, live food stimulates the fry to eat because of the motion. I'm not under the impression that the growth rate is as good with the frozen as it is with live. Certainly easier though! :D

Eddie
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
My Bad Martha, guess it's only wild discus that I've read people recommend this with.

See post #4

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67485

Eddie

mmorris
01-18-2009, 11:59 AM
My Bad Martha, guess it's only wild discus that I've read people recommend this with.

See post #4

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67485

Eddie

Interesting thread Eddie, thanks for that. I don't know who AlexR is though and I suspect I should be embarrassed for saying that. :o

Eddie
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Interesting thread Eddie, thanks for that. I don't know who AlexR is though and I suspect I should be embarrassed for saying that. :o

Not at all Martha, you know more about it than me ;) I know Alex from his successful breeding of WC RSGs. There is a whole thread on it and how well they grew. He is very knowledgeable with wilds but I see that Anna has a turq in the mix. Different things work for different people.

Take care,

Eddie

Roxanne
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Exciting isn't it Anna? :)

Good Luck with them

Roxanne

Peachtree Discus
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone ever feed frozen bbs? Or will they only eat newly hatched? ....

i only use frozen bbs to help transition them from live bbs to other frozen foods

MostlyDiscus
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Anna,

Good job on the eggs, now comes the hard part. Burn your lights 24/7. When you see your pair start to shimmy and shake cut back the feedings and do a WC. That will bring down your organic/bactiera load. Light feedings after the eggs are laid untill they are wigglers. Both Eddie and Martha are correct on moving the pair. What I mean is once you see you have a male and a female then look into moving them. 29 gallon is about the smallest tank I would go(and do). Keep in mind that the pair may not breed right away in the smaller tank due to change in water conditions etc... Good Luck Anna,

Ed