PDA

View Full Version : I Love This Thing!

Patr1ck
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
This thing is great. Especially when a tank is being medicated and the water cant be changed till after the treatment.
Besides that, its just plain cool. I recommend it.:thumbsup:
P

poconogal
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree, I bought mine about 2 years ago. I love it. Its great for BB tanks especially, to get that poo off the tank bottom between WCs, or of course, right after you do the WC, when the Discus decide to take the biggest poos ever on the nice, clean tank bottom! :D

acroken
01-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Can you give me a bit more information on that thing? Where did you get it from.
LOL poconopal, how true is that. seams like they only want to poop in a clean tank. Just like my puppy, goes for a walk to get ready to pee in the house:D

Kenny

Darrell Ward
01-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree, I bought mine about 2 years ago. I love it. Its great for BB tanks especially, to get that poo off the tank bottom between WCs, or of course, right after you do the WC, when the Discus decide to take the biggest poos ever on the nice, clean tank bottom! :D
My Discus always do this!

yim11
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I believe that is a Eheim battery vacuum. Dr. Foster & Smith has them for about $100:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+3895&pcatid=3895

HTHs,
-jim

Can you give me a bit more information on that thing? Where did you get it from.
LOL poconopal, how true is that. seams like they only want to poop in a clean tank. Just like my puppy, goes for a walk to get ready to pee in the house:D

Kenny

scolley
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm curious how that thing works... I've got a similar (less expensive) product, that I assume works the same way. Water gets sucked up, and the vacuum is powerful enough that the poo gets sucked up with it. It's both dumped into a filter bag, which collects the garbage, letting the water flow out.

Is that how it works?

I ask because mine sometimes does a terrible thing... I'm not sure of the conditions that give rise to this, but at times the garbage in the filter "dissolves", and the water returning to the water has a bunch of tiny, particulate, crap in it. Imagine a "poo" cloud spreading in your tank.

Whenever that happened I'd have to do a complete w/c, assuming all that crap in the water was the worst thing possible. I've since chucked it in the trash.

Doe this Ehiem product ever do that?

Darrell Ward
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I would also like more info on this thing. I've seen them around for several years, but didn't want to spend $70 for one without knowing anything about it. Now I see they are $100! Is it really worth a hundred dollars? Exactly how does it work? How long will the batteries last? Does it shred poo like Steve's cheaper product did?

mikel
01-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Dont see why pay $100 for that, when a $5 dollar bucket, and about $4 worth of siphon hose (three feet?) could do exactly the same. You can just take out one bucket full and focus just on getting the large poop out. Dump into toilet or rose garden for prize winning roses. mike:)

Patr1ck
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I would also like more info on this thing. I've seen them around for several years, but didn't want to spend $70 for one without knowing anything about it. Now I see they are $100! Is it really worth a hundred dollars? Exactly how does it work? How long will the batteries last? Does it shred poo like Steve's cheaper product did?

I'm curious how that thing works... I've got a similar (less expensive) product, that I assume works the same way. Water gets sucked up, and the vacuum is powerful enough that the poo gets sucked up with it. It's both dumped into a filter bag, which collects the garbage, letting the water flow out.

Is that how it works?

I ask because mine sometimes does a terrible thing... I'm not sure of the conditions that give rise to this, but at times the garbage in the filter "dissolves", and the water returning to the water has a bunch of tiny, particulate, crap in it. Imagine a "poo" cloud spreading in your tank.

Whenever that happened I'd have to do a complete w/c, assuming all that crap in the water was the worst thing possible. I've since chucked it in the trash.

Kenny

Im not sure how long the batterises last, because I havent had it that long. I got it at Petco for @$60. No poo cloud, the strainer is really fine and the impeller design is as such that it doesnt "chop" up the poo. It has a battery operated magdrive motor/impeller that sucks up the dirt from between the gravel, sand, or off the bare bottom and pushes it up into its own filter that traps the dirt and lets the water fall back into the tank. When finished you detach the filter and rinse it out. Its a very convenient piece of equipment.

P

Eddie
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
It's expensive...I'll stick to gravity siphoning the poo. :D

$60 = 2 discus

Eddie

Patr1ck
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Dont see why pay $100 for that, when a $5 dollar bucket, and about $4 worth of siphon hose (three feet?) could do exactly the same. You can just take out one bucket full and focus just on getting the large poop out. Dump into toilet or rose garden for prize winning roses. mike:)

Sometimes when you medicate a tank(usually a small tank) you cant change any water till the treatment is over. Sometimes for 5 days or even longer. Its great for not dilluting the dose or removing a relatively large amount of water from a small hospital or QT tank i.e. 12 gal tank. Besides that, its just cool.:D

P

White Worm
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Thats what I'm talkin about, lol. I'll stick to a cheap piece of hose with gravity feed for a quick cleaning and it doesnt remove that much water if you are quick about it and have a BB tank. I do believe that most meds require a w/c during treatment anyways before the next dose.

It's expensive...I'll stick to gravity siphoning the poo. :D

$60 = 2 discus

Eddie

Patr1ck
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Thats what I'm talkin about, lol. I'll stick to a cheap piece of hose with gravity feed for a quick cleaning and it doesnt remove that much water if you are quick about it and have a BB tank. I do believe that most meds require a w/c during treatment anyways before the next dose.

PraziPro, for example, says otherwize. It calls for a single dose for 5-7 days to cure the problem.:D

P

poconogal
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I paid $50 for mine. I haven't touched a bucket and siphon hose in 17 years, and I don't want to! Whatever works for each person, this thing is quick and easy which is what's important to me. I love mine. :D

Eddie
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
PraziPro, for example, says otherwize. It calls for a single dose for 5-7 days to cure the problem.:D

P

Hey P, I do 50% WC's with PraziPro. Everybody does things different...;)

Eddie

poconogal
01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Kenny
Kenny, yes, just like your puppy! I searched the web for the best price, got it for $50. Its made by Eheim.

.... but at times the garbage in the filter "dissolves", and the water returning to the water has a bunch of tiny, particulate, crap in it. Imagine a "poo" cloud spreading in your tank.

Scolley, I've never had that happen.

White Worm
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Thats why I said most and not all. Alot of people feel that any med loses its abilities quickly while diluted in the water column and thats why they say you may have to do another dose with Praxi pro. And at that time, you need to start with new water according to the directions just like when you start the med. Its better to get the fish to ingest a med for best results (internal). Numerous doses may have to be used for external meds that are added to the water which will require a clean water change in between. A large water change once a week while using meds seems doable and the tank can be cleaned at that time. I dont use many meds, I just prefer to keep them healthy with lots of clean water and a crap load of food! :D

P

mmorris
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I searched the web for the best price, got it for $50.

I just paid $45 for mine. :laugh:
It was used, so hopefully it's a bargain. It should arrive any day.

TankWatcher
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a cheapie brand in the past. It was rubbish & didn't do the job. I now have the real deal from eheim. I bought it on ebay from a US seller, when the dollar conversion was good. The eheim one is great & I really love it too. I use it in addition to daily WC in the QT, not instead of. It is just a lot quicker than going to get the bucket & siphon out, when you've only just put them away.

I'd like to get another one, so I would have one for the non QT tanks, separate from the QT tanks. Unfortunately, the dollar conversion is no longer in my favour & by the time you add postage, it is getting a bit expensive (though still cheaper than if I bought it here). To buy this in Australia, you're looking between $170-200 (depending on where you see it). For that money, I will stick to the bucket & siphon.

If ever the dollar conversion is back in my favour - I'll be hopping straight on line to buy another.

poconogal
01-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I just paid $45 for mine. :laugh:
It was used, so hopefully it's a bargain. It should arrive any day.
I'm sure you'll like it, M

Patr1ck
01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm sure you'll like it, M

That discus in your avatar is one of the most beautiful discus I've ever seen. I assume its yours?

P

poconogal
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes, that's Casper, (I name all of mine) a Super WB. The Super WBs have very little PB in them, I was told no more than 10% so they are very white and do not pepper.

Patr1ck
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, that's Casper, (I name all of mine) a Super WB. The Super WBs have very little PB in them, I was told no more than 10% so they are very white and do not pepper.

What does WB mean? Sorry.

P

kirkp
01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I paid $50 for mine. I haven't touched a bucket and siphon hose in 17 years, and I don't want to! Whatever works for each person, this thing is quick and easy which is what's important to me. I love mine. :D

Connie, How do you do your water changes? This thing can't be doing it all for you can it?

Kirk

Patr1ck
01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Nevermind just figured it out. White Butterfly. Duh!

Thanks,
P

poconogal
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Connie, How do you do your water changes? This thing can't be doing it all for you can it?

Kirk
I use my Python. Not bucket and hose. Eeeekkkk.

poconogal
01-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Nevermind just figured it out. White Butterfly. Duh!

Thanks,
P
Welcome... :D

Alfred
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Agreed, now I have $90 left for beer.

Python is a must for WC.... BUT a Syphon bulb and a 1/2" inner diameter in piece of Vynal tube with a bucket from Lowes is much better for cleaning bare bottom tanks. The suction is far greater than a python and you don't waste any water.

Darrell Ward
01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Agreed, now I have $90 left for beer.

Python is a must for WC.... BUT a Syphon bulb and a 1/2" inner diameter in piece of Vynal tube with a bucket from Lowes is much better for cleaning bare bottom tanks. The suction is far greater than a python and you don't waste any water.

I use a piece of 1" PVC as a siphon tube with a hose adapter on one end hooked to a water hose. Just siphon that crap right out the door. :D

TankWatcher
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I only use the eheim vac in the BB tanks for cleaning up the poops & scraps prior to the daily wc. I might need to do this 3-6 times a day. I can't be bothered with a siphon, PVC tube, bucket or running the hose out the door. IMO, the vac is just soo much quicker & easier. Wouldn't trust using it over a sand substrate though. I think you'd risk the sand stuffing up the motor.

I didn't pay $90. US$39 on ebay for brand new item.

Patr1ck
01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I only use the eheim vac in the BB tanks for cleaning up the poops & scraps prior to the daily wc. I might need to do this 3-6 times a day. I can't be bothered with a siphon, PVC tube, bucket or running the hose out the door. IMO, the vac is just soo much quicker & easier. Wouldn't trust using it over a sand substrate though. I think you'd risk the sand stuffing up the motor.

I didn't pay $90. US$39 on ebay for brand new item.

I use mine over sand. Not real fine sand probably 1mm. I only had that problem once, when I first used it. Now I've goten used to using the sludge extractor and sucking up the sand doesnt happen anymore. Just takes a little practice, as with everything.:)

P

TankWatcher
01-22-2009, 01:51 AM
That's good to know.

mmorris
01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I just got my vac and, well, that's a nifty little toy! I wish it had a bit more power to it though. Is the handle meant to go in the water too? Hope so. :o

Darrell Ward
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I just got my vac and, well, that's a nifty little toy! I wish it had a bit more power to it though. Is the handle meant to go in the water too? Hope so. :o

Yeah, I wondered that myself, since I have some deep tanks. One of them is 31" deep.

mmorris
01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, I didn't electrocute any fish, which is nice. :) I am used to the fast pace of a large syphon hose and so I will just have to get used to the slower one.

Patr1ck
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Yep, it sure is.:)

P