PDA

View Full Version : problems with Rena XP4

Mello
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Any body here having problems with their rena xp canisters? I cleaned it last night and Im having problems getting it run like normal. I'm hearing some noise from the motor. I find it hard to prime the water won't go up the tubes. Any advice on how to prime Rena's?
I don't know want I'm doing wrong, maybe my tubes are loop a little bit? thats why the water is having difficulty going up?

Ed13
01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Sounds like air is still trapped in the impeller housing. Fill the canister while disconected so that you pretty much only have to fill the intake hose. Try to keep as much air out of the intake hose otherwise the canister will fill with air again.

Gordon C. Snelling
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree almost certainly air.

poconogal
01-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Any body here having problems with their rena xp canisters? I cleaned it last night and Im having problems getting it run like normal. I'm hearing some noise from the motor. I find it hard to prime the water won't go up the tubes. Any advice on how to prime Rena's?
I don't know want I'm doing wrong, maybe my tubes are loop a little bit? thats why the water is having difficulty going up?
I don't understand, why would the water go UP the tubes when priming? I have the XP3 and the XP1 and when I disconnect the hoses and remove the canister for cleaning, the water stays in the hoses. When I reconnect the hoses to the canister, the water flows DOWN the hoses into the canister and I wait the 2 minutes recommended before starting the filter. :confused: Sometimes I do get some gurgling noise, (air), when I restart the filter but its gone by the next day, other times its perfectly quiet. I've got mine for over 2 years now.

aquadiva
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't understand, why would the water go UP the tubes when priming? I have the XP3 and the XP1 and when I disconnect the hoses and remove the canister for cleaning, the water stays in the hoses. When I reconnect the hoses to the canister, the water flows DOWN the hoses into the canister and I wait the 2 minutes recommended before starting the filter. :confused: Sometimes I do get some gurgling noise, (air), when I restart the filter but its gone by the next day, other times its perfectly quiet. I've got mine for over 2 years now.

Like Connie, When I disconnect the hoses to remove the cannister filter, the hoses stay full of water so when you reconnect them to the cannister filter, you wait for the cannister to refill (by itself) with water, once full, then plug the filter in and it runs smoothly. If you have emptied the water in the hoses for some reason, you'll want to fill up the cannister with water (something you don't normally do) reconnect the hoses, then use the funnel that came with the Rena filter to fill the hoses back up with water. This may take some time but once they are full you should be able to plug it and it should run fine.

Anna

Mello
01-20-2009, 11:55 PM
I did what you guys said but there's still bubbles coming out of the hose. When I feel the intake with water it run's then all of sudden it stops. Getting frustrated with this filter.

Mello
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
filled it up with water and there's still air running on both hoses. making some weird noise.

aquadiva
01-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay, when you fill the hoses up, are you putting the cap back on the hose tight before starting up the filter? Are you filling up the hose completely? Is your cannister full of water to the top before you plug the filter in? Did you double check to see that the impeller housing unit is all fit together properly?

Anna

Mello
01-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I did it all. Maybe I'll just keep trying. I want make sure if I did put my hosses right. Blue in Blue and Grey in grey right? Cap is tight maybe there's a leak there? Thank you for all you guys help.

April
01-21-2009, 03:25 AM
check and see if the blue disk came undone from the impellor or loose and vibrating. happens to me all the time. especially if the poewr went out and it starts up again. my blue disc rattles loose..and the impellor falls down inside. i have 4 xp3s and they all do it. so open it ..check the impellor and the disc is tight add water right up to the top of the canister then put the lid on and plug in.

rickztahone
01-21-2009, 03:39 AM
did you happen to move the hoses at all? the other day i slightly moved my xp3 and i guess the hose was a little horizontal and it started gurgling for lack of a better word

Gordon C. Snelling
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I run in to this with my xp3 periodically, during reprime not all the air is evacuated. Usually what I do is start and restop the filter a few times to clear. I turn it off and watch the air flow back up the output tube when it is full I turn the thing back on a few times of this you are clear. Also it only takes a very small seal break to allow the intake side to suck air.

aquadiva
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I did it all. Maybe I'll just keep trying. I want make sure if I did put my hosses right. Blue in Blue and Grey in grey right? Cap is tight maybe there's a leak there? Thank you for all you guys help.

I've never had this problem with my XP4. I wonder if there is a leak in the seal somewhere? I hope you were able to figure it out. Let us know when you can.

Anna

Mello
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
finally I got it to run last night after so many hours I spent trying everything. :mad: But the only thing is the motor is making some noises. Water flows and does a quick splash coming out of the spraybar. Is it normal? is it going to go away?

poconogal
01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I just remembered that when I first set up my XP3 I had a problem, it was making a lot of noise and not running right. I had to remove and dismantle it and I found that the impeller was not seated 100% correctly. Have you checked to see if anything is in the impeller well or that it is all the way down and seated right?

Or maybe your impeller is broken/bad? What you just described sounds like something's wrong with it.

Mello
01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
well Im going to observe it. Maybe there's something wrong with my impeller. I did dismantle it last night and check if it was seating right. I think it is because I placed it in the middle and the magnet just sucks it right up.

Mello
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
after two days of running its all working now. I don't know why the water from the spray is pumping alot of fine bubbles? Secondly my tank after two days of my rena not working water turned murky and green. I don't know what happened could the bacteria possibly got disturbed?

poconogal
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
after two days of running its all working now. I don't know why the water from the spray is pumping alot of fine bubbles? Secondly my tank after two days of my rena not working water turned murky and green. I don't know what happened could the bacteria possibly got disturbed?

I get a lot of fine bubbles if I do a WC that brings the water level below the intake, so it gets air in it. That disappears after awhile.

Murky and green water... green water is algae. Has your tank been getting a lot of light?

Mello
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
yes my light are on for 12-13 hours a day

poconogal
01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
You may want to reduce the hours your light is on then, if you have green water now, it will only get worse.

Mello
01-23-2009, 05:30 AM
what could I do get rid of this green water?

Mello
01-23-2009, 05:48 AM
is it safe to use Algone to clear my water??

poconogal
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
What's Algone? Is it an algae killer?

I've never had a green water problem so I really am not sure other than reducing your light and doing several large WCs. Just checking, you don't have a planted tank, do you? If you don't I'd reduce the time lights are on down to maybe 9 hrs. a day and see how that goes. You can also reduce feeding, unless you are raising juvies? If you have a HOT magnum you can use the pleated cartridge or a System 1 filter you can use diatomaceous earth to clear your water. Either of those filters would remove the algae spores from the water since they filter down to 1 micron, I think. You can also do a search on SD for green water and see what others have done.

plchacker
01-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I've had a XP3 running for eight years. The only trouble I had was the original plastic pump shaft spindle broke. Replaced it with an updated steel for about $20 including shipping. Great ever sense. Bubbles will make strange noises.

chintz
01-24-2009, 12:33 AM
noise in canister after cleaning is typical for mine, but gone in about an hour or so....

The trick to prime XP is not attach and lock on the quick disconnect onto the top of canister until your water mark is at or above your water outlet (eg spray bar ). When ready, all you need is to lock on that qucik disconnect, then self-priming starts.

Mello
01-24-2009, 01:47 AM
finally got the hang of it. thanks for all the help guys!!! I also attached a coralife turbo twist uv sterilizer to it and now it works fine.

poconogal
01-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Yes, I forgot all about using UV for algae. I know people who've attached a UV to planted tanks and love it, no more algae on their plants.

Mello
01-28-2009, 03:28 PM
what are those brown spots on plants are those algae? i just have some anubias and java ferns and some of them are turnning brown or black.