PDA

View Full Version : Dark, tilting up ward, scratched, gill tissue

j_li8
01-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Not sure what is up but one of my discus is turning dark and tilting up ward. But the second i go to the tank he straightens up. I also notice that the slim coat appears to be scratched, about the size of a pea. On both sides i can also see what looks to me like gill tissue. A little piece of it is hanging out from both sides. Couple of others look to be clamping up and lower fins and are less active then normal. Added a hand full of salt just now after seeing all fo this.

Last water change was done yesterday and is done every other day.
Water is aged over night and Amquel is added.
Bare bottom tank.
temp: 86F

j_li8
01-21-2009, 03:33 AM
I just checked my ph and its way low. below 6.0. not sure how low but its below that since thats is as low as my chart will read. so it looks like thats a part of it but ive pretty much been using the same WC schedule since thanksgiving w/o a problem. Tank is a 50 gallon wilth about 40 gallons of water. I change about 20% every other day because thats the most i can age at one time at the moment.

Eddie
01-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi there,

Could you please fill out the questionnaire so that others may be able to help you more effectively.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

Thanks

Roxanne
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
But copy and paste the answers here so you don't have to start a new thread..

Rox

j_li8
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM
im pretty sure it is because the ph got too low. and i just refilled the tank earlier from changing a large amount of water. i will see if that helps if not them i will get that filled out.

j_li8
01-22-2009, 01:19 AM
they look a lot better now. much more active, no darkening bodies, scratch on slim is done and gill look normal

Roxanne
01-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Hi jl

What is the PH of your source water?

Roxanne

j_li8
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi jl

What is the PH of your source water?

Roxanne

7.8 (highest the test kit reads) maybe higher from tap. after it sits over night it is about 7.6 and that is treated with amquel for at least 12 hrs usually closer to 24 hrs depending on when I do the water change and refill. I used to do 5-7 gal a day when the 8 discus were temporarily in the 20g long but since I moved them to the 50 I've been doing 10g every other day but it appears to have caught up with me. sure as hell scared the crap out of me haha.

Roxanne
01-23-2009, 07:10 AM
... sure as hell scared the crap out of me haha.

:D discus do that to us for fun I think.....their sense of humour has a dry wit to it...

j_li8
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
no kidding.