PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, thanks for so much info!

RainbowSnails
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I just joined yesterday and I have learned so much here already. I sent my husband by Dan's (gulf coast discuss) yesterday and he is now obsessed by discus too. He said he'd never seen so many perfect fish in one place. Luckily he works 5 minutes from Dan's so he will be making plenty of stop by's for me!

I have an 80 gal cycled and will add discus as soon as I empty it of LF BNP that occupy it now. It will be bare bottomed. If I get small discus I have a smaller tank to use for a bit so they won't be lost in the 80.

I bought a pond pump last night for lots of water changes without wasting water using the python. I'm going to start searching for nice driftwood next.

I raised fish/snails to sell online for many years but closed it down when we moved last year so I'm really thrilled about raising discus just for me and my family to enjoy. Fish keeping is so addictive and fun.

Terri

rickztahone
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I have an 80 gal cycled and will add discus as soon as I empty it of LF BNP that occupy it now. It will be bare bottomed. If I get small discus I have a smaller tank to use for a bit so they won't be lost in the 80.

Terri

why get rid of the LFBNP? i have 5 in my 125 with no problems at all. also i would do exactly what you plan on doing and that is using the smaler tank if you plan to grow out some juvies rather than using the 80g.

Roxanne
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Terri & Hub

Welcome to Simply from an Aussie member:)...You got something alot of us don't have! An understanding and supportive partner!

Roxanne

RainbowSnails
01-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm getting rid of the pleco's because there's at least 30-40 of them LOL
I'll still be left with a few dozen 1/2" babies which will go when they get bigger. I've already placed the adults elsewhere so there won't be anymore spawnings!
I will hang onto a few females for myself.

Is there a size tank you'd recommend to start with? I have a 20L and a 29 on hand and aquaclear filters for both which I can seed from my canisters and toss in some guppies to cycle. I probably have some air driven sponge filters around here too.

I plan on starting with 6-8 young fish after realizing I won't be able to add more to a group easily at a later date. This will also nix having to quarantine which is a plus for me.

I've been reading on this forum for hours today (while chasing my visiting nephew!) I have seen pictures that make me drool LOL.

Terri

kenhappen2u
01-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm getting rid of the pleco's because there's at least 30-40 of them LOL
I'll still be left with a few dozen 1/2" babies which will go when they get bigger. I've already placed the adults elsewhere so there won't be anymore spawnings!
I will hang onto a few females for myself.

Is there a size tank you'd recommend to start with? I have a 20L and a 29 on hand and aquaclear filters for both which I can seed from my canisters and toss in some guppies to cycle. I probably have some air driven sponge filters around here too.

I plan on starting with 6-8 young fish after realizing I won't be able to add more to a group easily at a later date. This will also nix having to quarantine which is a plus for me.

I've been reading on this forum for hours today (while chasing my visiting nephew!) I have seen pictures that make me drool LOL.

Terri

welcome to SD Terri..i would go with the 20L.and a fishless cycle . unless you have some seeded filter media from a cycled tank you could use to help jump start your new tank filter , that should save you a couple of weeks , then feed them lots and big WC's ...they will grow like weeds !

Ken

Roxanne
01-21-2009, 07:29 PM
sorry, twenty litre or gallon?:confused:...do you mean a 20 litre to do a fishless cycle in to prepare your filters for the 80gal...amI reading that right??

and what's LF BNP?:)

RainbowSnails
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
sorry, twenty litre or gallon?:confused:...do you mean a 20 litre to do a fishless cycle in to prepare your filters for the 80gal...amI reading that right??

and what's LF BNP?:)

20 gallons, the (L) means the tank is the longer shorter version as compared to a normal width/height tank. Sorry I forget forums cover more than my little part of the world and that all terms aren't universal.

I would use this smaller tank until the fish were large enough to feel safe in the 80 gallon tank.

LFBNP - long finned bristle nose plecos. They only get 5 inches and are very cute and great algae eaters.

Hopefully that clears it up!
Terri

Roxanne
01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks Terri, it's good to learn something new everyday! You sound ready to rock with your set up...Good Luck!

clairel
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
dumb question...do you have a phone # for Dan @ Gulf Coast? THx.

clairel
01-21-2009, 11:46 PM
never mind...got it....google success. Cheers.

Ed13
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Welcome to Simply!
Will you not be stepping inside of Dan's Wharehouse?;)
SO close to him, I would not buy anything from anywhere else!

RainbowSnails
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Welcome to Simply!
Will you not be stepping inside of Dan's Wharehouse?;)
SO close to him, I would not buy anything from anywhere else!

I actually picked up 9 discus on Saturday from Dan. 8 blue diamond and 1 wc blue. I've been doing 100% wc daily and they are doing great. The only issue I am having is they won't eat anything but blood worms. (frozen from Dans's)
I got tetra bits but they spit them back out. :confused:
Don't they need a variety of foods? I feed 5-6 different things to my other tank (no discus) over the course of a week.

Terri

shawnhu
01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Try feeding them the food they dislike in the morning. If that still don't work, add some crushed garlic to the mix, and freeze the food. When ready to feed, just drop it in. Garlic should help open their appetite until they get used to the new food.