PDA

View Full Version : color of eggs

mang0man
01-22-2009, 03:15 AM
Hi everyone, i have a young pair of blue diamonds that just paired up. They are on their 3rd spawn(no wigglers yet) and it's now been appx 27hrs since they laid eggs. I have read several threads that the eggs at this time will turn dark if they are fertile or turn white if infertile. My question is, can someone define dark or tell me exactly what color are the eggs suppose to be? They were clear orange when they were just laid, and now they are a solid beige and tan, no fungus, and parents are still fanning and blowing them.

Elite Aquaria
01-22-2009, 08:11 AM
If they are fertile you will start to see a small black dot in the middle. Good luck

acroken
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
eggs should start out orange and consistently get darker and as Dan stated, you should see a small dark spot in the center which will get bigger causing the egg to get darker. After 3 days the eggs should hatch. The hatching time really depends on the temperature, higher temps cause faster hatching, but also causes weaker fry. I try to keep temp at 82 to 83 degrees during this time. Hope this helps

Kenny,

mang0man
01-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks Dan, thanks Kenny, got home from work today and all the eggs are gone. I presume they were all eaten. A little bumbed out, but i realize they are still young and will eventually get it right. I didn't even expect them to start spawning this soon anyway. Like i said in my original post, this was their 3rd spawn. This was the 1st time I separated them from my other fish. I think I will let them rejoin the community tank and possibly try to bred them later, maybe in a few months. I'm sure some of my others will be reaching maturity soon as well. I started out with all juvies and these 2 were the oldest of the bunch.
Next question i have:
Since they are capable of continuous egg laying on a weekly basis, will the constant unproductive spawning affect their health?

Leo