PDA

View Full Version : Carbon in Filter??

thebigone
01-22-2009, 04:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses carbon in their filter(s)? Carbon can lead to disease in discus right? Just want some opinions on this. Thanks.

Eddie
01-22-2009, 06:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses carbon in their filter(s)? Carbon can lead to disease in discus right? Just want some opinions on this. Thanks.

Hey Josh, carbon is just not required in a Discus tank. Usually used to remove meds, dyes, odors, cloudy water.

I don't and have not ever used it. ;)

Its a bit controversial as to whether or not it causes any disease. Not a discussion I want to start over again. There are millions of these type questions that can be found by doing a search for "carbon".

HTH
Eddie

Don Trinko
01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Carbon does no harm but it saturates quickly and after a few weeks it is saturated and act as a media for the good bacteria. Not the best media but of some value.
It is usefull for removing some meds and colors. It will eventualy remove most medication the color from driftwood. Don T.

Discus-n00b
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I use it to polish the water, to make it crystal clear during my "photoshoots". Other then that i never run it.

thebigone
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't use carbon because I heard that it causes diseases in discus. I use purigen in my filters. I was just wondering what everybody thought about carbon. Thanks for the response so far.

KDodds
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Its a bit controversial as to whether or not it causes any disease. Not a discussion I want to start over again. There are millions of these type questions that can be found by doing a search for "carbon".

Smart move. :) There are actually many reports of carbon having adverse on many fish, not just discus. In marine aquaria, carbon has been blamed for bloat as well as head and lateral line erosion. My personal experience (I use carbon) has been that this is not true and that both of these conditions are linked more to diet. There are more things like this than those that involve carbon. For instance, protein skimming is sometimes linke to gas bubble disease in seahorses. Again, I've found this not to be true. Because carbon is essentially, well, carbon, it's my opinion that, in itself, it can't be harmful enough to directly cause disease, even by "stripping trace elements", which are FAR more abundant in our tanks than in nature. Essentially, what it comes down to is cliche: do what works for you, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Graham
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
G

thebigone
01-23-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm glad when I have a question about something that my friends at Simply have many opions and answers. Thanks to everyone.

Eddie
01-23-2009, 06:52 AM
;)

hakka_deimos
01-24-2009, 03:36 AM
just some useful information regarding activated carbon

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1029w.htm

Activated carbon (AC) filtration is most effective in removing organic contaminants from water. Organic substances are composed of two basic elements, carbon and hydrogen. Because organic chemicals are often responsible for taste, odor, and color problems, AC filtration can generally be used to improve aesthetically objectional water. AC filtration will also remove chlorine. AC filtration is recognized by the Water Quality Association as an acceptable method to maintain certain drinking water contaminants within the limits of the EPA National Drinking Water Standards

***Water Contaminants Not Removed by AC Filtration***
Similar to other types of water treatment, AC filtration is effective for some contaminants and not effective for others. AC filtration does not remove microbes, sodium, nitrates, fluoride, and hardness. Lead and other heavy metals are removed only by a very specific type of AC filter. Unless the manufacturer states that its product will remove heavy metals, the consumer should assume that the AC filter is not effective in removing them.

**now the warning points and the possible health risk to humans and aquariums**

AC filters can be a breeding ground for microorganisms. The organic chemicals that are adsorbed to the AC are a source of food for various types of bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria are those that cause human diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery. Public water systems must treat for disease causing bacteria; therefore, the likelihood of disease causing bacteria being introduced to an AC filter from public drinking water is remote. AC filtration should only be used on water that has been tested and found to be bacteria free or effectively treated for pathogenic bacteria.

in all my research "in most situations" (being a US resident) find that activated carbon is safe to use in the aquarium

hakka_deimos
01-24-2009, 03:41 AM
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1029w.htm

Activated carbon (AC) filtration is most effective in removing organic contaminants from water. Organic substances are composed of two basic elements, carbon and hydrogen. Because organic chemicals are often responsible for taste, odor, and color problems, AC filtration can generally be used to improve aesthetically objectional water. AC filtration will also remove chlorine. AC filtration is recognized by the Water Quality Association as an acceptable method to maintain certain drinking water contaminants within the limits of the EPA National Drinking Water Standards

Water Contaminants Not Removed by AC Filtration
Similar to other types of water treatment, AC filtration is effective for some contaminants and not effective for others. AC filtration does not remove microbes, sodium, nitrates, fluoride, and hardness. Lead and other heavy metals are removed only by a very specific type of AC filter. Unless the manufacturer states that its product will remove heavy metals, the consumer should assume that the AC filter is not effective in removing them.

The Bacteria Issue
AC filters can be a breeding ground for microorganisms. The organic chemicals that are adsorbed to the AC are a source of food for various types of bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria are those that cause human diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery. Public water systems must treat for disease causing bacteria; therefore, the likelihood of disease causing bacteria being introduced to an AC filter from public drinking water is remote. AC filtration should only be used on water that has been tested and found to be bacteria free or effectively treated for pathogenic bacteria

so if you live in a major city my consencus is that full time carbon useage most likely will not cause any issues with your lovely pets

and well if you still dont trust it ... dont use it ... most discus keepers/breeders do everyting a little diffrently than everyone else

thebigone
01-25-2009, 07:32 AM
That is a great post hakka.;) Very good and useful info. Thanks.

hakka_deimos
01-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Aww @#$%! it posted twice ... oh well