PDA

View Full Version : hand washing?

rickztahone
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
just wanted to get a general consensus about washing your hands before putting your hands in the tank. i currently wash my hands every time before sticking my hands in the water but started thinking that maybe the soap might prove to get be some type of contaminent even if i wash them well. what are your thoughts and experiences with different types of soap?

Don Trinko
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I rinse my hands but I do not normaly wash them unless they have been a QT or sick tank. If I wash I make sure I rinse them well in warm water.
I always do my WC starting with my best fish and work my way down to my least favorite. Don T.

pherfect
01-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I would be more concerned about washing your hands after than before. Because of my winterized,cracked hands I wear powder-free nitrile gloves, and for the deep jobs an up-to-the-arm pit glove. -Chris

Eddie
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
I rinse my hands but I do not normaly wash them unless they have been a QT or sick tank. If I wash I make sure I rinse them well in warm water.
I always do my WC starting with my best fish and work my way down to my least favorite. Don T.

Same here, I do just as Don does pretty much. Rinse hands and arms in warm water with the big communtiy tank. Than another warm rinse for the next smaller tank not in QT. If I go from one medicated tank to another, I always rinse and wash with a antibacterial soap. I just rinse really well and dry with a clean rag before putting my hands in the tank. ;)

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
At our hatchery we have some pretty decent bio-security practices. One includes using an alcohol wash on hands/forearms before feeding or working in a system. It is entirely possible to transmit disease from your hands into your tank even if you havent been in a tank all day long. Granted, if you only have a tank or two like most hobbyists the chance of this happening is extremely small. Where our hatchery is, we have footbaths, handwashes, netdips and boots all over the UF facility due to the extreme variety of fish and extreme volumes of water on property. Because of this, chances for something to happen is rather high. IMO, better safe than sorry.

-Ryan

Eddie
01-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey Ryan, we do something similar but it's for chemical and biological warfare. :)

Eddie

GrillMaster
01-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I always wash my hands with alcohol before putting them in any of my tanks...I wash the part of the python hose that will be in the tank during WC's with alcohol also...:)

I dont know where my son gets his OCD from!!

poconogal
01-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Mark, do you rinse your hands after washing with alcohol?

GrillMaster
01-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Nope...Just air dry.

poconogal
01-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Nope...Just air dry.
Thanks. I've wondered for years if I could use alcohol and if I did, should I rinse. I've got 2 more adults coming on the 31st with Martha and even though QT is in the basement, at least I know that I can wash hands, etc. with the alcohol instead of soap. With soap, I'm always afraid of not getting every last bit off my hands. Good to know for the Python, too.

rickztahone
01-23-2009, 03:01 AM
...With soap, I'm always afraid of not getting every last bit off my hands...

that was my concern as well

Hattawi
01-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Alcohol, beware that it may damage your skin if you use it too often. It would cause contact dermatitis. If you noticed your hands started to become dry, scaly and starts to crack, then stop using alcohol altogether.

I just rinse my hand, without using any soap. I usually smell my hands aswell for any traces of perfume from a previous hand wash with soap. If I still smell it, I repeat wahing my hands with just water. Keeping your finger nails short is a plus too since it can harbor lots of bacteria & dirt.

Ed13
01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
At our hatchery we have some pretty decent bio-security practices. One includes using an alcohol wash on hands/forearms before feeding or working in a system. It is entirely possible to transmit disease from your hands into your tank even if you havent been in a tank all day long. Granted, if you only have a tank or two like most hobbyists the chance of this happening is extremely small. Where our hatchery is, we have footbaths, handwashes, netdips and boots all over the UF facility due to the extreme variety of fish and extreme volumes of water on property. Because of this, chances for something to happen is rather high. IMO, better safe than sorry.

-Ryan

I always wash my hands with alcohol before putting them in any of my tanks...I wash the part of the python hose that will be in the tank during WC's with alcohol also...:)

I dont know where my son gets his OCD from!!

Same here cross contamination is not fun. I also suffer from OCD so for me, is a given:(

Mark, do you rinse your hands after washing with alcohol?
Yup, some things might actually transmit to humans. After the alcohol dries, I wash with soap.

Thanks. I've wondered for years if I could use alcohol and if I did, should I rinse. I've got 2 more adults coming on the 31st with Martha and even though QT is in the basement, at least I know that I can wash hands, etc. with the alcohol instead of soap. With soap, I'm always afraid of not getting every last bit off my hands. Good to know for the Python, too.
Alcohol is perfect for quick sterilization. It's also better than soap because it evaporates quickly, no need to towel dry, I just allow it to evaporate and leaves no residue unless it has additives or fragances added.

Alcohol, beware that it may damage your skin if you use it too often. It would cause contact dermatitis. If you noticed your hands started to become dry, scaly and starts to crack, then stop using alcohol altogether.

True, I do use it everyday, multiple times a day! Key is to moisturize your skin;) I do it every day, mainly petroleum jelly as is safe and cheap. I trim and file fingernails often as well as inspect them for dirt:p.

Oh yeah, girls, Ed is a clean boy;):D

Eyecandy
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi there.. Don't mean to hijack this thread.. I wash my hands.. no soap and paper towel dry before and then after with soap. Funny I was wondering how to clean my 50ft python hose.. Do you use the alcohol for that too.. And what kind of alcohol?? I was thinking I might have to try bleach or something but not quite sure how to do it. Thanks Sue:D

Ed13
01-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi there.. Don't mean to hijack this thread.. I wash my hands.. no soap and paper towel dry before and then after with soap. Funny I was wondering how to clean my 50ft python hose.. Do you use the alcohol for that too.. And what kind of alcohol?? I was thinking I might have to try bleach or something but not quite sure how to do it. Thanks Sue:D

I might use alcohol for a quick sterilization on the part that goes in the water from tank to tank, but for the lenght of the hose or a more thourough job you won't beat bleach!

Bleach it good Sue!:)

Eyecandy
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Ed.. If I bleach it how much bleach to water and do I just pour it down the length of the hose or what.. I hate to assume anything as you know the old saying about that.. but I assume the bleach won't hurt the pythons fittings.. Thanks Sue

GrillMaster
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I just wipe down the outside of the first couple a feet on the siphon hose real quick before I use it. I dont get to carried away...:)

Eyecandy
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Mark.. I've got some "gunk" build up on the inside of the hose.. That's what I was thinking of trying to bleach.. it's either that or trying to get new hose and somehow re using their fittings.. definitely easier if I could bleach the hose.. 50 feet is a lot of hose HAHA. Thanks Sue

Ed13
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Ed.. If I bleach it how much bleach to water and do I just pour it down the length of the hose or what.. I hate to assume anything as you know the old saying about that.. but I assume the bleach won't hurt the pythons fittings.. Thanks Sue
You could fill a bucket, add the bleach to the desired solution (at least 1 cup per gallon, 2 or more if you want to killsome bad nasties; but I'm a bit crazy:p) and use the python in the bucket as if you would in a tank.
If you can somehow trap the water/bleach for some time inside the hose even better, if not a stronger solution may be needed. Rinse with plenty of fresh water and let it dry.
Never really used a Python, just DIY stuff:o so I can't really say exactly, but this way should work. Just sticking it in water leaves uncleaned parts were air bubbles formed.
If you just want to clean it up a bit you could use a weaker solution, but i go bonkers on it:D because I intent to sterilize.

Prolonged exposure will eat soft plastics, rubbers and silicones and the likes, like O-rings and such.

brewmaster15
01-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Sounds like my place!:):)

TankWatcher
01-23-2009, 09:50 PM
The hand washing with alcohol wash, sounds interesting. So is this type of alcohol (being a wash) bought from the chemist, or are we talking of alcohol you buy from the local bottle shop?

Ed13
01-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I use Ethyl 60% or higher, although many times I use Isopropyl too (mostly cause I forget) 70% or higher. I wouldn't use 90%-100% in direct contact with skin.

Glad to know I'm not crazy and that I'm not alone in this practice!

I wonder which type Ryan and Al use

yim11
01-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi there.. Don't mean to hijack this thread.. I wash my hands.. no soap and paper towel dry before and then after with soap. Thanks Sue:D

I do this as well except I use hot water and when I dry its with a clean cloth towel and I dry in the same manner a doctor prepping for surgery would (aggressive detailed drying). I think this removes the majority of the body oils and dirt on my hand/arms. I wash with soap afterwords.

Another thing to consider (kind of gross...) is fingernails. A lot of crap can get under there. The shorter the better if you're bare handing a tank IMO.

-jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
We use the plain old hand sanitizer gel you can find at Walgreen's. From what I remember it is 63% Ethyl Alcohol. A couple pumps from it and we clean to around our elbows (to the shoulders if we know we are going to get wet). IMO, it is a simple step to ensure a better quarantine program.

-Ryan

Roxanne
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I got my technique from watching George Clooney scrub.:D

I scrub with soap to above my elbows, rinse and dry, then rinse again with water and dry. Each tank has it's own equipment, and if I am dealing with disease, everything goes into the bath tub with hot water and bleach, then rinsed with chlorinated tap water after every water change.

It was only recently someone said they had a problem in one of 18 tanks, the next thing, it was in 4 tanks.....and I've cross contaminated too before so now I am like an operating surgeon around diseased tanks...just like George;)

Roxanne
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
The hand washing with alcohol wash, sounds interesting. So is this type of alcohol (being a wash) bought from the chemist, or are we talking of alcohol you buy from the local bottle shop?

You know that corn based ethyl alcohol Robyn, you wash with it and then blow dry your hands? Stinks like a solvent...save the bottle shop type for after dinner;) (she means 'liquor store' for our US friends)....they also add the stuff to unleaded fuel....that's a bad idea but that's another story...

GrillMaster
01-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi Mark.. I've got some "gunk" build up on the inside of the hose.. That's what I was thinking of trying to bleach.. it's either that or trying to get new hose and somehow re using their fittings.. definitely easier if I could bleach the hose.. 50 feet is a lot of hose HAHA. Thanks Sue

Hey Sue...I have the same gunk build up in my hose as well, i just dont worry to much about it...I look at a python hose like a cast iron skillet...The older it is, the better its aged! :D :D :D

TankWatcher
01-25-2009, 02:51 AM
You know that corn based ethyl alcohol Robyn, you wash with it and then blow dry your hands? Stinks like a solvent...save the bottle shop type for after dinner (she means 'liquor store' for our US friends)....they also add the stuff to unleaded fuel....that's a bad idea but that's another story... Well, I was going to say the local Bottle-o, but was pretty sure that'd stump them :D But no, sorry, I don't know the corn based ethyl alcohol - is it from the chemist?

Roxanne
01-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey Sue...I have the same gunk build up in my hose as well, i just dont worry to much about it...I look at a python hose like a cast iron skillet...The older it is, the better its aged! :D :D :D

But, I found if I have to prime the canisters, it sends that gunk you're so fond of Mark :D into the tank..so, I got a longer string than the hose, tied a fishing sinker to one end and a bunch of gauze to the other end, dropped the sinker into the hose, jiggle it...just a little bit...:D..pull it thru and voila, clean hose;)

Robyn, it's the same thing Ryan is talking about, even Woolies (Oz for Woolworths:p) has it...dries the skin a bit and gives you a head spin if you accidently inhale:D