PDA

View Full Version : Cory eggs?

cyberhog05
01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Well I was looking at my tank today and noticed several tiny eggs on the glass where my corys hang out. I took out the school of starter fish to put in another tank to get it started a few days ago. So I have 10 corys in there now. They are clear with a black dot in the middle. I would have to assume they are my cory's eggs.

They have been in the tank for 4 days and they are about an 1"-1.25". Is it possible they are breeding so soon? They are peppered corys. All I could get locally.http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x270/cyberhog/2009_0123tank0002.jpg

Wahter
01-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Here's a website with some pics of cory eggs.

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Corydoras.htm

Good luck! :)

Walter

bavaria36
01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, they do look like Cory eggs. Mine have spawned several times in my planted tank when I had discus there. I think that the frequent feedings and large water changes we make for the discus bring the cories into breeding condition.

In your case it is very possible that the females were already full of eggs when you brought them home. The change of water probably induced the spawning.

If you want to have a go at hatching them you can roll the eggs off the glass, place them in a shallow plastic dish which you can float in the main tank. The eggs will hatch in a couple of days and once they have used up the yolk sac you can start feeding them BBS and even crushed dried foods.

Aaron

Eddie
01-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Thats very cool!

Eddie

cyberhog05
01-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Kinda crazy! I have had tanks of some kind for almost 20yrs. and I have never seen any of my fish lay eggs! I guess most of the time it has been a reef tank and I had my freshwater tanks in my younger years when I didnt pay such close attention to water quality and temp etc.;)

Eddie
01-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Kinda crazy! I have had tanks of some kind for almost 20yrs. and I have never seen any of my fish lay eggs! I guess most of the time it has been a reef tank and I had my freshwater tanks in my younger years when I didnt pay such close attention to water quality and temp etc.;)

Well you must have some great water conditions for them. Nice job

Eddie

cyberhog05
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
I now have eggs every where! Under leaves, on smooth parts of rocks and all over the glass. I also got to see the female, she is plump and full of eggs. They dont come out of hiding much unless the lights are out. they are quite skiddish little fish. Is this normal until they get use to all the living room activity?

cyberhog05
01-29-2009, 12:27 AM
As of about an hour ago the first set of eggs I posted pix of has hatched and the little babies are hangin out in the corner right below where they hatched. Im just happy I got to see them before they become lost to the filter inlets or die of other reasons. Man are they tiny!

rickztahone
01-29-2009, 01:10 AM
As of about an hour ago the first set of eggs I posted pix of has hatched and the little babies are hangin out in the corner right below where they hatched. Im just happy I got to see them before they become lost to the filter inlets or die of other reasons. Man are they tiny!

do you have a pre-filter? i'm sorry to say that they might become a discus snack soon enough

cyberhog05
01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
I dont have a pre filter and the corys are the only fish in the tank. Im waiting to order fish till it gets warmer here in Montana. Its been really cold and I would rather be patient than run the risk of damaging or getting some weakened fish from transit.