PDA

View Full Version : Prime and tap water mixed in the tank?

sbobcat
01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi, Happy Chinese New Year
Is there anyone that has experience of mixing the right temp of tap water and prime at the same time you add it to your tank. I am tried to skid that water storage barrel and the heater. Since I am using the prime to get rid of the chlormine anyway. I know it is not something you should do by the text book. Tell me your experiences please. Thanks in advance.

Vince

kenhappen2u
01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
i go straight from the tap into the tank....i do use a digi.themometer inside the main tank . this way i can make sure that the water going back into the tank is with in 1-2 deg. of the water that came out , i add the prime before the new water goes in . works for me!

ken

Deadwood
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I am not a very technical person but I would not put tap water directly in to the tank. I did at one time and got away with it for years. Then the city added chloramines and I kept on doing what I had always done. Long story short I kill a lot of fishes. BUMMER :( There are other thing like degassing the water ect. Get a piano dolly to move your tank.

Les

Yassmeena
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
i go straight from the tap into the tank....i do use a digi.themometer inside the main tank . this way i can make sure that the water going back into the tank is with in 1-2 deg. of the water that came out , i add the prime before the new water goes in . works for me!

ken

I use straight tap to tank too, I test the tap water temp coming out of the draining python adapter by hand (I'm pretty familiar with how 86 should feel by now). I adjust as needed, then change the water flow direction and quickly run to my tank to pour in the Prime.

I use a alcohol thermometer and have had no need really to make any adjustments (I'm always w/in 3 degrees!) :D

I've been doing this since day1, which was sometime in August 2008.

HTH

Yasmin

mikel
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
So long as you use enough prime, or overuse so as to have no room for error, you can first dump prime into tank, then add tap water adjusted with right temp. I know several people who do this, and it worked fine with them, so long as prime is used in adequate amount. I use the bucket method, so I mix my prime in the first bucket...all subsequent buckets go right in with no fuss. mike

alpine
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
tap Water-Close to Temp(within two or three +- degrees) on tank - add to tank add Prime as I start the water to tank. Fish are fine . Have cloramines in water in my city. 80% water change each time . Five years and it is still OK.
Warning !!! I do not have 11.0 + PH like Jack in Kansas !

Roberto.

Eddie
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
tap Water-Close to Temp(within two or three +- degrees) on tank - add to tank add Prime as I start the water to tank. Fish are fine . Have cloramines in water in my city. 80% water change each time . Five years and it is still OK.
Warning !!! I do not have 11.0 + PH like Jack in Kansas !

Roberto.

I Second that!

I adjust the tap water temp to match the tank, add the prime...and then start filling. I do 100% daily and my fish love it. ;)

Eddie

DiscusOnly
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I always add prime prior to fill the tank from tap. I recently noticed that the water temperature drop too much when I get to the 3rd tank. I am going to put an order in for one of these valve.

http://www.simplyplumbing.com/watts-0204130.html

wolfbane
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
No matter what percentage of water I change, usually 80%, I add enough Prime for the whole tank volume X2. Never had a problem using straight from the tap, but then again, I'm not a breeder, just a show tank or 2 or 5. Lol! Addicting, aren't they?

rickztahone
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
i put my tap water in a 45g roll away tote and condition the water in the tote. then i just dump it into the tank as long as it is withing 1-2 degrees within temp of the tank

lodan
01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I have used tap water straight to the tank, like all the others I put Prime in before, and make sure temp is right. Not had any problems this way.

kenhappen2u
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I use straight tap to tank too, I test the tap water temp coming out of the draining python adapter by hand (I'm pretty familiar with how 86 should feel by now). I adjust as needed, then change the water flow direction and quickly run to my tank to pour in the Prime.

I use a alcohol thermometer and have had no need really to make any adjustments (I'm always w/in 3 degrees!) :D

I've been doing this since day1, which was sometime in August 2008.

HTH

Yasmin

i also did the hand test method for many of years thinking i was pretty good at it by now ,,,, untill i broke down and bought a digital theometer and tested the water with my hand first to see just how close i cound get to the desired temp of 86-88 deg, well to my surprise i was atleast consistant with being off by more then + or - 5 deg. at times ,
i dont think i would ever go back to testing water by hand as there is to many variables like room temp and your hand adjusting to the water temp after being held under water while trying to adjust the hot and cold mix ,

the next time you test your water by hand ...try switching hands when you think you have the right temp and see if your left hand thinks as your right hand does , lol

Ken

sbobcat
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all your quick responses. It is nice to know so many people equiped with finger thermometer, all have different brands but all works fine. I like the right hand and left hand idea. Thanks.

May the force be with you .

Vince

Cybervlad
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I do 30%-50% WC three times a week on my 175g. I started with 10% to make sure there is no effect on fish and then bumped it up to as much as 50%.
I add prime right into the tank right before i start adding new water. Been doing it for 8 months, no problems so far, fish always look happy and more colorful within 15 minutes of water change.
I also use the finger thermometer to adjust the temp of tap water.

Alfred
01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
You can go straight from the tap with no problem depending on how stable your water is.

For instance, I use to live where the tap water PH was 10.

If you put it in the tank or barrel and waited a day it would drop to 7.
So now going from the tap your ph is going to rise in your tank.
Not a problem as long as you SLOWLY add the water and stay on top of the PH so that the shift is slow. Add some water then wait 30 minutes and add some more.
Now if your tap water is stable meaning out of the tap is PH 7.6 and a day later in the tank it's 7.6 or 7.4 you don't need to worry about it.
Check your tank ph before you change water so you know where you started.
Don't shock the fish, Shock the Monkey...:)

hope
01-28-2009, 12:14 AM
My recent experience is that I had some stress in the tank and found out it was because I didn't test the PH coming from the tap - turns out my town has REALLY high PH, and my tank cycles pretty well so the PH in the tank is low. Because of this I have to age my water. So - I am no expert, but I know one thing you will want to do is check the PH coming from the tap against the ph in your tank. I was advised discus don't tolerate more than .5 difference very well. One of the moderators helping me actually had the exact opposite - her tap was extremely low. I really don't know what else could be affected/not covered with Prime, but that is one. Good luck!

Alfred
01-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Discus can live in anywhere from PH 6.0 - 8.0 and even greater.
The problem is when you make a drastic change. Everything, of any kind of change, in temp or PH must be done slowly.

sbobcat
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I did it, and all my discus come back to life 5 minutes after i turn the filter back on. I did slowly adding the water back in while the wait at the other side of the tank.

Vince