PDA

View Full Version : K.O.

specialsuperK
01-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Has anybody had there fish hit the side of the glass so hard, it seems to knock them out or daze them? I just had one do that and now it is acting really weird.

dishpanhands
01-27-2009, 05:42 AM
they can hit it hard enough to kill them.

Roxanne
01-27-2009, 05:55 AM
It's probably got a concussion! Robyn's busted it's lip the other week, but it's fine now...not much you can do..

poconogal
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I had one get startled and shoot up from the bottom, hit herself on the glass top, then hit herself again on either the tank side or bottom and then again on the top. I found her laying flat on top of my internal UV. I thought she was dead, she was not even breathing, and was ready to remove her from the tank but I decided to give it some time. After about 5 minutes her gills began to move again and she then righted herself and swam over to her mate. She was fine. I don't know how, after 3 really solid bangs, but she was fine.

MostlyDiscus
01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I have males dart at my hand when I try to clean the tank. The hit doesnt hurt, I hate the bitting though. Ed

Peachtree Discus
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
any idea why the crashed into the glass? was the fish startled?

specialsuperK
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I turned the light on to feed when I got home

Hasseness
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
This didn't happen in my discus tank but I feel the need to share this wierd story.

I had a clown loach bash its self several times on the glass. Then it stuck its self head first into the sand with half its body and tail sticking out and wiggling for about 30 seconds. Then It floated to the top of the tank and stayed there for 3 days. I thought for sure it was going to die but it recovered.

I turned up the tank one degree and added some salt after the "accident"

Roxanne
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I had a clown loach bash its self several times on the glass. Then it stuck its self head first into the sand with half its body and tail sticking out and wiggling for about 30 seconds. Then It floated to the top of the tank and stayed there for 3 days. I thought for sure it was going to die but it recovered.
"

That IS weird.....I've read this a few times now, someone else's acted dead too and then swam off fine after a while...good thing no one got flushed, garbage binned straight away...we have seen a few examples of discus resurrection going on...:alien:

Ed, I think it tickles when they nip...do your discus have teeth??:D

TankWatcher
01-28-2009, 02:49 AM
The hit doesnt hurt, I hate the bitting thoughBiting. Though I think I know what you mean, I couldn't call it a "bite" when they do it (though that my be their intention). Their lips just press against my hand. Do yours actually bite?

Roxanne
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
..Their lips just press against my hand. .

I'd call that a kiss. For all the damn work we put in, they should be kissin our you know what's!:D

poconogal
01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Biting. Though I think I know what you mean, I couldn't call it a "bite" when they do it (though that my be their intention). Their lips just press against my hand. Do yours actually bite?
Some of mine are gentle but some of mine bite. And with large adults, it can hurt a bit! Some of them think my hand is food, I guess, LOL!!!

poconogal
01-28-2009, 09:09 AM
....good thing no one got flushed, garbage binned straight away...we have seen a few examples of discus resurrection going on...:alien:

A friend of mine had a Discus delivered by Fed Ex with no water left in the bag, or just enough to make a little puddle. She thought he was dead but put him in the QT tank anyway, and after a few minutes, he began to breathe! He was flat on the tank bottom for a day, then spent I think 2 days propped up against the side and then began to swim around. He did develop a bad parasite problem, but he was fine afterward.

Roxanne
01-30-2009, 07:40 AM
.. She thought he was dead but put him in the QT tank anyway, ...

I don't think I would have had the insight to put it in a tank before I heard these stories....in the past if I thought it was dead I would 'GB' it after I took photos/scoped, not now though! The fish will be rotting in the tank before I GB anyone in future!;)...many discus lives will be saved thanks to people like your pioneering friend Connie:)