PDA

View Full Version : i need help, pls?

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 12:19 PM
i went to check my discus yesterday, all seems to be fine.. check their bodies, they're good.. swims fine..

now, when i checked this morning i saw some spot on one of my discus.. it's hard to explain.. i attached link pictures anyways.. guys, please tell me what to do step by step to get rid of this nasty stuff..

can you tell me what is it and what's the cause? so that i can prevent it in the future? thanks!

water parameters are: Ph. = 7.2, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0..
Temp: 30C
WC regime: change the water 30% every other day.
Water: aged water for 24hrs. and heated
size of the tank: 55G BB
Filters: Rena Filstar XP2 and sponge filter for up to 80G
Lighting: full hood

DIET:
1. Diet(what and how often do you feed you fish?
- i feed my fish 4 times daily with eheim feeder. (NLS)

2. Other tank occupants than discus?
- i got 2 bristle nose pleco.

3. How many Discus in your tank?
- 11 Discus on my 55G (sizes: 2"-4") almost done setting up my 110G for them.

4. How long have you had them?
- i got them for almost 4 months now.

5. Where did you get them (breeder/ Local Fish Shop -LFS)
- i got it from a breeder.

6. Tank and filter cleaning schedule?
- i clean the sponges 2 a week, the filter every 2 months, and i do water change of 30% every other day.

7. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem?
- i haven't tried anything yet.. i need your help!!!

http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/MRQuad81/?action=view&current=Picture027.jpg

http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/MRQuad81/?action=view&current=Picture026.jpg

pcsb23
01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
is that a blister?

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
sorry for my ignorance, what is blister? :D

pcsb23
01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
a blister is like when you burn your hand sort of like a swelling.

Hattawi
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
How large are the plecos? I suspect a sucking lesion caused by the plecos. The plecos can attach on discus at night time.

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
How large are the plecos? I suspect a sucking lesion caused by the plecos. The plecos can attach on discus at night time.

around 3"-4"

Graham
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Based on the pic I agree with Hattawi; the plecos are probably the problem.

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
a blister is like when you burn your hand sort of like a swelling.

something like that..

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Based on the pic I agree with Hattawi; the plecos are probably the problem.

thanks Graham.. how can i treat the discus? would it heal itself if i leave it like that? and get rid of the plecos?

Graham
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks Graham.. how can i treat the discus? would it heal itself if i leave it like that? and get rid of the plecos?

That should heal up by itself in no time...loose the plecos and see what happens. There should be no more ''spots'' showing up

pcsb23
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
It could be the bn's. but I've normally seen rasping ,arks around the wound and never one quite that red! Easy way to tell would eb to remove the bn's. If it is them then clean water will resolve.

MRQuad
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
ok guys, i will definitely get rid of that bn.. anyways, i have successfully uploaded a video to youtube to clearly see the fish..

please click the link.. thanks again!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OWg97MzU4S0

Hattawi
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
That's exactly why I didn't want to keep a pleco. I got corydoras instead.

Eddie
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Thats right H,

I have said it time and time again, it's not about if they do....it's about when they do.

It's a 50/50 chance and I don't take any with Discus and plecos, there is no reason to.

Eddie

poconogal
01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
BNs are not known for attaching to Discus though. There is the occasional odd one that will, but most of the time they do not. Also, the marks I've seen left by a Pleco were never red as this mark is. My BNs have been with my Discus for almost 3 years now and they never, ever have gone near the Discus. That's why many keep the BN and not the regular Plecos.

Eddie
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
BNs are not known for attaching to Discus though. There is the occasional odd one that will, but most of the time they do not. Also, the marks I've seen left by a Pleco were never red as this mark is. My BNs have been with my Discus for almost 3 years now and they never, ever have gone near the Discus. That's why many keep the BN and not the regular Plecos.

Hi Connie, thats what I thought too until more and more frequent reports show up about the legendary BN. I will skip the risk

Eddie

LizStreithorst
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I have never had a BN suck a discus. Could it possibly be a heater burn?

Eddie
01-29-2009, 03:21 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=49356&page=3

Post #42....pictures in action from Walter.

:(

poconogal
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, but that doesn't mean that its a common occurence with BN. I still think that maybe people do forget to FEED their BNs if they don't have lots of algae in their tank for them to eat. I've seen many posts over the years with people asking if they need to feed, duh!

I actually wondered the same thing as Liz, perhaps its a heater burn? Its so RED, doesn't look like it was from the BN, no rasping either.

Eddie
01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, but that doesn't mean that its a common occurence with BN. I still think that maybe people do forget to FEED their BNs if they don't have lots of algae in their tank for them to eat. I've seen many posts over the years with people asking if they need to feed, duh!

I actually wondered the same thing as Liz, perhaps its a heater burn? Its so RED, doesn't look like it was from the BN, no rasping either.

Very true, not much in the tank for the BN to eat from the looks of it. :o

poconogal
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Very true, not much in the tank for the BN to eat from the looks of it. :o
There really doesn't seem to be anything for it to eat. That tank looks algae free.

Mr. QUAD, just wondering, how much is in your tank for the BNs to eat? Do you have enough algae or do you feed them veggies or algae wafers?

MRQuad
01-30-2009, 01:51 AM
guys thank you very much for the replies.. appreciated it very much!

MRQuad
01-30-2009, 01:53 AM
There really doesn't seem to be anything for it to eat. That tank looks algae free.

Mr. QUAD, just wondering, how much is in your tank for the BNs to eat? Do you have enough algae or do you feed them veggies or algae wafers?

before the cycling of the tank, there's some algae.. but now, there's none.. and i didn't have any food for my pleco, just what i gave to my discus.. :(

after this post, i think i will remove the BN, and observe the discus after BN gone.. guys, what else is the cause of this?

thanks again for the replies!

MRQuad
01-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Update:

guys, when i went down, the wound were started to fade.. it's not to obvious now.. but still, i got rid of the BN, i move it to other tank.. :D

what a relief.. i am so thankful to all who contributed.. :angel:

rickztahone
01-30-2009, 03:48 AM
feed your BN some algae wafers in whichever tank you put them in. they need some feed and maybe some driftwood to suck on as well.

poconogal
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes, my BNs hang out attached to the driftwood all day. I leave the back glass of my tank with algae on it too for them to eat and I also throw in some algae wafers every couple of days. Of course the Discus attack the wafers, in the dark... but I think the BNs manage to get some.

MRQuad
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
thank you so much for all your help.. is celery ok for them too, to suck on? cause i don't have a wafer for now.. :D