PDA

View Full Version : how long from small tank to larger and window cling

RainbowSnails
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I have 9 juvi's in a 20L (20 gallon). Doing 100% daily wc and siphoning debris from the bottom before bed. How long until it's practical to put them in my 75 gallon? I see how it's easier to do the large water changes in the smaller tank but I also think the fish in the larger tank would help eat left overs. (3 corys, 5 long fin rosy barbs, a few guppies, 2 bamboo shrimp and some 1" pleco's)
They started eating out of my hand yesterday! It was awesome, they will also hang around the end of the tank by my chair and follow my finger up and down the glass. I love watching them swim and dart around - so different from watching regular shaped fish swim.

Also I was wondering if anyone had used window cling on the back of their tank? I have used it on a window and 2 doors and it's nice - I was thinking of trying it on my larger tank to darken it up a bit for the discus.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=140916-74130-SSR78&lpage=none

Terri

Eddie
01-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I have 9 juvi's in a 20L (20 gallon). Doing 100% daily wc and siphoning debris from the bottom before bed. How long until it's practical to put them in my 75 gallon? I see how it's easier to do the large water changes in the smaller tank but I also think the fish in the larger tank would help eat left overs. (3 corys, 5 long fin rosy barbs, a few guppies, 2 bamboo shrimp and some 1" pleco's)
They started eating out of my hand yesterday! It was awesome, they will also hang around the end of the tank by my chair and follow my finger up and down the glass. I love watching them swim and dart around - so different from watching regular shaped fish swim.

Also I was wondering if anyone had used window cling on the back of their tank? I have used it on a window and 2 doors and it's nice - I was thinking of trying it on my larger tank to darken it up a bit for the discus.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=140916-74130-SSR78&lpage=none

Terri

How large are the juvies? I'd throw them in the 75 now. The cling thing looks alright. You said you wanted to darken the tank???? The cling looked white to me. Also, depending on the strain of your fish, like pigeon based, you'll have less peppering displayed if you have bright or light background.

HTH
Eddie

moik
01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
I use white contact paper for most of my backrounds. You do not like it one day, peel it off and try a different color.. A little tedious to get it flat with out air bubbles ,but you get the feel real fast for it. Best of all it is cheap to buy

RainbowSnails
01-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Great, they are all at least 2.5 - 3"

My large tank is very bright and I though discus liked shadowy darker places. I am going to get some large long driftwood pieces to make an area for them too.

Terri

philip69285
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
I would definitly move them to te 75 gal. I think they will grow out much better in a larger space even tho you are doing 100% WC. I have a tank with over 2watts per galloon and my discus don't seem to mind it... even the albinos are out all the time and they are normall more sensitive to the light. I do however give them places to go if they want a nice darker area and they use those places rarely. Normally only when the few dominate ones decide its time to chase the others around. What types of discus do you have?

RainbowSnails
01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
I have 8 bd and 1 wc blue. I looked at my light strip and it's a double bulb with each being 32 watts so that's not even 1 watt per gallon if I understand how that works. The stuff in the tank is white stone looking so that makes it look even brighter. I am going to start raising the temp in that tank right now so I'll be able to move them over!

Terri

Eddie
01-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Sound great, snap pictures when you can.

Most hybrids don't care about light and don't need any shade. I'd say it's different for WC discus but I have seen tanks full of WC discus with zero shade and a ton of light. You should be fine with your lights and don't worry about any shade or darkness. They will get that when you turn the lights out....:D

Eddie

RainbowSnails
02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I put them in the larger tank last night. They stayed in the corner until I dropped some fbw in and the spray bars blew the worms around and the discus went crazy chasing them LOL - it was fun to watch. Now they are roaming the entire tank with no problem! I have a huge roman column thing in the center and they go back and forth between the columns - I was afraid I'd have to take it out but now I see it's not in their way at all :p

Thanks for everyone's help - it has made this new hobby so much fun with less stress!

I'll get pictures today.

Terri

Eddie
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Glad you are enjoying it! It never ends

Eddie