PDA

View Full Version : Is a sponge filter a must?

Civic
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Most setups that I have seen here have sponge filters. I understand the need for it in a breeding tank but I saw some tanks that has 5" up using it too. Is it better to use in combo with other types of filters? thanks.

-ian

Eddie
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi Ian,

Sponge filters are great, easy to run, easy to clean and they have a huge surface for nitrifying bacteria. They aren't a requirement by any means but an added benefit for your tank. It is also good to have them running in a tank to have a spare seeded filter always available. If you want to start another tank, if you need to have a quarantine tank set-up in an emergency.

It's always good to have more than one filter at a time for tank maintenance/filter maintenance purposes. You can easily breakdown one filter and do a good cleaning while still having the other running.

HTH
Eddie

Peachtree Discus
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
everything Eddie jus said, plus they are much cheaper than HOB, canister, or sump filtration. there are some pluses and minuses for each type of filter, but by no means is a sponge filter required.

alpine
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Sponge filters are not needed as any type on biological filtration will do but they sure come in handy . I have around four of five hydro IV per 75 tank and one Aquaclear 110 . I tried doing away with the Aquaclear 110 but the tank floor got too much sedimentation deposits too quick (I run Bare Bottom tanks) . Like Eddie says you have extra biological filters for any emergency or to set up new tanks as you wish .
They are easy to mantain as well.
Roberto

pherfect
01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I have a 180gal with a sump system and canister filter and the water was never clear due to excess bacteria. I put a hydro V in there to seed it for another tank and 8 days later much to my pleasent surprise the tank was crystal clear. Oh yeah, and I left it there:)-Chris

Civic
01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Cool. I guess it's worth it for the extra bio filter and ease if you need to setup a new tank in case of emergencies.

Triadtropz
01-30-2009, 06:55 AM
I wouldnt trade my hydro sponges for anything...IMO they are the best biological filtration on the market..