PDA

View Full Version : Metal Stand

stevey87
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm looking to buy a new metal tank stand for my 29 gallon. I'm hearing mixed opinions about metal stands. I already have wooden stand for 65 gallon with all the storage room for fish related stuff including the casnister filter so I don't want another wooden stand in my room. Some say I should put wood plate on the bottom and I was thinking it would be safter to put wood plate on top between the stand and the tank? Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

I was looking at Penn Plax metal stands and it looks like I can put 29 on top and have spare 20 for breeding purposes on bottom shelf. I'm hearing stories about it being wobbly and sagging in the middle causing tank breakage etc.

bs6749
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I've got a wrought iron stand (not Penn Plax) and it's recommended for a 29g on top and a 20L on the bottom. I currently have a 29g on top and a 29g on the bottom. They have been on the same stand for well over a year and a half with no issues.

dishpanhands
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Only problem with metal stand that I see is that you have to put somthing between tank and the stand. You don't want to be able to look in the top and see your feet.. Need somthing to block it or your fish will lay on there side. and be scared at the shadows come from the bottom. Makes them think they are out in the open..

dishpanhands
01-30-2009, 08:21 PM
just wanted to add that I use cardboard between my tank and stand.

Eddie
01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Stevey,

Just wanted to say that penn plax stands are total junk. Why don't you just build a wooden stand. Super easy to build and you will enjoy the security of it. You can stain it or paint it, whatever. It really is worth the time. I just had the shop cut the wood to my dimensions and screwed it all together. Viola

Eddie

stevey87
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Stevey,

Just wanted to say that penn plax stands are total junk. Why don't you just build a wooden stand. Super easy to build and you will enjoy the security of it. You can stain it or paint it, whatever. It really is worth the time. I just had the shop cut the wood to my dimensions and screwed it all together. Viola

Eddie

I'm thinking towards that and make it so that I can put another 29g or 20g on the bottom but I'm new to wood works. Also, just because it looks like a stand doesn't mean it will hold the water weight for years and years. I don't know how to make a wooden stand in such way that it will hold the water weight forever.

Eddie
01-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking towards that and make it so that I can put another 29g or 20g on the bottom but I'm new to wood works. Also, just because it looks like a stand doesn't mean it will hold the water weight for years and years. I don't know how to make a wooden stand in such way that it will hold the water weight forever.

Actually, I found a site that did all the calculation for the wood and it broke everything down to every screw. This stand will hold probably longer than I will live....seriously. I have the link on my home computer. I am currently on my mini laptop...stranded in Seattle waiting for a plane until Sunday...GGRRR:mad:

GrillMaster
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Although I agree with Eddie, a wooded stand is much better. A metal stand for your 29G wont be an issue no matter who makes it. The tank is just not big enough to cause any concern. No wood required. :)

stevey87
01-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Well my 29 gallon tank is crappy. It's from one of those big chain stores that don't specialize in aquatic pets (pet cetera, only in canada i believe) and the reason is the front and back glasses are bowing out a lil when filled up to the top. With this kind of glass, I'm not so sure about bottom being bare. My 65 gallon is AGA and with Big Al's Stingray Stand so I'm not too worried about that one other than collapsing the floor cuz of the weight.

Darrell Ward
01-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Well my 29 gallon tank is crappy. It's from one of those big chain stores that don't specialize in aquatic pets (pet cetera, only in canada i believe) and the reason is the front and back glasses are bowing out a lil when filled up to the top. With this kind of glass, I'm not so sure about bottom being bare. My 65 gallon is AGA and with Big Al's Stingray Stand so I'm not too worried about that one other than collapsing the floor cuz of the weight.

I wouldn't worry about a 65 collapsing my floor, unless I lived in a rotted out old chicken house!:spit: It probably only weighs around 600 lbs. give or take, I don't think I would want to live in any house where the floor couldn't support that. :D

Porkchop
01-31-2009, 03:25 AM
I have a Penn Plax stand for my 25 gallon high tank and have no problems with it. I was actually thinking about getting one for my 55 gallon real soon. Anyone see any problems with this? Are they not made well for a 55 gallon?

Anthony

stevey87
01-31-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm getting mixed opinions about metal stands just like product reviews on different sites. If I'm going to make my custom wooden stand for 29g on top with 29g or less on bottom then how much would it cost to make it? Including material prices.

Eddie
01-31-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm getting mixed opinions about metal stands just like product reviews on different sites. If I'm going to make my custom wooden stand for 29g on top with 29g or less on bottom then how much would it cost to make it? Including material prices.

Well it cost me like $20.00 but that is because I live in Japan. The wood and the cut to size was only about 15 dollars. The screws, like 5 bucks.

I have a 55 gallon metal stand but it ain't penn plax. I had 2 penn plax stands and they were pure junk. I ripped them apart by hand and threw them away.. GRRRRRRR:mad:

Eddie

stevey87
01-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Ok, I wanna make one but how?

How do I get the correct dimension woods and the blueprint etc? I'm so excited to make my own custom design.

Eddie
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Ok, I wanna make one but how?

How do I get the correct dimension woods and the blueprint etc? I'm so excited to make my own custom design.

Hey Steve, I'll try to find the site that I used. If not, give me till Monday when I arrive home and I'll send you the link. Its bookmarked on the home computer.

Found the site! This is a wicked easy stand building tool! All you have to do is get your fish tank measurements and then decide how tall you want the stand. Its cake

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Eddie

DiscusOnly
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Where are you putting the stand? If you want to do it furniture grade, trim pieces will make it look nicer. For a single 29 gal, a 2x3 is more than sufficient. Start with making 2 identical rectangular frame that is the size or sligher larger than the tank. Connect the 2 together with the 4 legs and add side cover/door as you wish. It's not that hard to build a stand. You just have to have basic carpentry tools.

yim11
01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know what brand mine is, but I am using a 29g tank and metal stand now for about 10 years. I've had it for almost 20 years (few years in storage). No issues or problems. I don't use wood with the current setup. I did put some small plastic spacers between the tank and stand when it was setup.

HTHs,
-jim

I'm looking to buy a new metal tank stand for my 29 gallon. I'm hearing mixed opinions about metal stands. I already have wooden stand for 65 gallon with all the storage room for fish related stuff including the casnister filter so I don't want another wooden stand in my room. Some say I should put wood plate on the bottom and I was thinking it would be safter to put wood plate on top between the stand and the tank? Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

I was looking at Penn Plax metal stands and it looks like I can put 29 on top and have spare 20 for breeding purposes on bottom shelf. I'm hearing stories about it being wobbly and sagging in the middle causing tank breakage etc.

stevey87
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey Steve, I'll try to find the site that I used. If not, give me till Monday when I arrive home and I'll send you the link. Its bookmarked on the home computer.

Found the site! This is a wicked easy stand building tool! All you have to do is get your fish tank measurements and then decide how tall you want the stand. Its cake

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Eddie

Thanks for the link.

Where do I get the supplies?
Does this allow me to put another same size tank or smaller one on bottom?

Where are you putting the stand? If you want to do it furniture grade, trim pieces will make it look nicer. For a single 29 gal, a 2x3 is more than sufficient. Start with making 2 identical rectangular frame that is the size or sligher larger than the tank. Connect the 2 together with the 4 legs and add side cover/door as you wish. It's not that hard to build a stand. You just have to have basic carpentry tools.

It's gonna be in my room just like 65 gal but I don't care about looks. I'm not sure what u mean with trims and stuff.

The thing is, how do I know if the stand is good enough to hold the weight in the end? I mean, it's gonna hold it but is it going to be safe in the long run is what I want to know. I have carpet floor, 2nd floor so....

Eddie
02-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the link.

Where do I get the supplies?
Does this allow me to put another same size tank or smaller one on bottom?

Stevey, you will have to do the calculations for a larger tank this way a smaller tank can be put on the bottom. If you are going to have 2 29g tanks than just add 4 or 6 extra inches to the length, this way a 29 will fit on the bottom. I used the 4x4s so this thing can survive a nuclear blast!

Eddie

stevey87
02-01-2009, 12:41 AM
So what if I wanted to have 29 and 20 on bottom like those metal stands? Also where do I get these things? From Revy's? Do I cut woods myself?

Eddie
02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
So what if I wanted to have 29 and 20 on bottom like those metal stands? Also where do I get these things? From Revy's? Do I cut woods myself?

Not sure Stevey, I mentioned that I live in Japan. I bought the wood, they cut it to size and I just screwed everything together. I don't have clue where you could get that done in your location. Sorry to not be of much help with that.

Eddie

stevey87
02-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Not sure Stevey, I mentioned that I live in Japan. I bought the wood, they cut it to size and I just screwed everything together. I don't have clue where you could get that done in your location. Sorry to not be of much help with that.

Eddie

How would I do for 29 on top 20 on bottom and when I enter in the dimension I get two results. One has bar in the middle which is not good and the sturdy? one doesn't. Obviously I don't want bar in middle but how come the sturdy one doesn't and what's the real diff?

Thanks

Eddie
02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
How would I do for 29 on top 20 on bottom and when I enter in the dimension I get two results. One has bar in the middle which is not good and the sturdy? one doesn't. Obviously I don't want bar in middle but how come the sturdy one doesn't and what's the real diff?

Thanks

You get 2 options. The sturdy one is probably the 4x4 wood and you don't need a center brace. The other stand is most likely a 2x2 wood structure and you would need the center piece.

Like I was mentioning, make the stand about 6 inches longer in length, make it 36 or 38 in for the length. This way another 29g can fit below it. Also, for the height, you will want to make the stand tall enough for another 29g with sufficient room to get into the tank top. I think I went with 32 in but can't remember. Just measure the height of the stand, add 8-12 more inches. ;)

Eddie

stevey87
02-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks everybody for help. I'll get onto this in a few weeks when I'll have time. If anyone has any more input I would appreciate it.

DiscusOnly
02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
What's the dimension of your tank. I may be able to put together a parts list a diagram for you. You may be able to do all the cuts at the home center. You will need a drill and some lag bolts.

specialsuperK
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the site recomedation Basshead, I'll start on my new 90 gal tank stand tomorrow

Eddie
02-02-2009, 03:47 AM
No problem, I thought it was pretty nifty myself. I'm gonna be working on a 55 on top 2 each 29gs on bottom stand in a month or so.

Take care and good luck

Eddie

Porkchop
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Eddie, I hate to say this but, I went ahead and bought the Penn Plax. It was only $40 and it's just for now. I needed it ASAP and whatever I used needed to be presentable or the GF would have had me shot! lol

Anthony

Eddie
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Eddie, I hate to say this but, I went ahead and bought the Penn Plax. It was only $40 and it's just for now. I needed it ASAP and whatever I used needed to be presentable or the GF would have had me shot! lol

Anthony

Hey, I am sure it will be fine....just like to build things with my hands....especially big discus. LOL

Eddie

stevey87
02-02-2009, 08:22 PM
What's the dimension of your tank. I may be able to put together a parts list a diagram for you. You may be able to do all the cuts at the home center. You will need a drill and some lag bolts.

This tank is 30 and 3/4 by 12 1/4
29 gallon

Either this goes on bottom with same or bigger tank on top

Or this on top with same tank on bottom

I like first option but depends how big it gets.

korbi_doc
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey Stevey, I've used these stands for years, & I mean years!! always had 1 tank on top & 1 underneath & never had a problem with them....now, I don't know who made the ones I have, but they've always stood up to the test for "years"......stop the worry & use what comes easy & inexpensively...JMO, ......lol....

Dottie ;)

stevey87
02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
No problem, I thought it was pretty nifty myself. I'm gonna be working on a 55 on top 2 each 29gs on bottom stand in a month or so.

Take care and good luck

Eddie

I've decided to do the same thing. How are you gonna go about doing that? Do you think the stand itself will be heavey?

I was thinking of 55 on top with 29 on bottom or 55 on top and bottom? Or like you make 55 with whatever on bottom and 29 top and bottom one. But how to exactly make one then? I have one preblem which is space in my room... What kind of wood do you use? Where do you buy em? How do you work with em? I don't have any saws.

How do I make it water resistance wood?

Eddie
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I've decided to do the same thing. How are you gonna go about doing that? Do you think the stand itself will be heavey?

I was thinking of 55 on top with 29 on bottom or 55 on top and bottom? Or like you make 55 with whatever on bottom and 29 top and bottom one. But how to exactly make one then? I have one preblem which is space in my room... What kind of wood do you use? Where do you buy em? How do you work with em? I don't have any saws.

How do I make it water resistance wood?

Steve, I did the measurements for 2 each 29 gallon tanks plus 10 inches. This will give you a long stand with a center brace. One 29 will fit on each side of the center brace and the 55 will set on the top. It doesn't matter if the top is longer than the 55, as long as there is forward and aft support. It depends on the tank. I would use 4x4s. I buy mine at a local hardware store and they cut the pieces for me. This way all I have to do is screw it all together. As far as water resistant, I purchase a rain seal liquid that comes in a paint can and you just paint it on. It's for exterior decks so I know it will withstand any condensation or water drops.

Eddie

stevey87
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Could tell me in detail exactly what are the dimensions and where and what wood to buy?

Thanks.

Eddie
02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
The stand calculator I gave you adds an inch to the dimensions, so make sure the numbers are exact. 66" long X 12.5" wide and height can be up to you but I would have at least 32". The height will allow you to fit the 2 each 29s underneath the 55 and room to move around a bit for cleaning.

The wood I could not tell you as I live in Japan. Another member mentioned a place you go to. I'm sure there has to be a hardware store around that sells wood and will cut it for you.

Dude, you are about to make me go down there and build this thing for you. HAHAHA >LOL

It's not that hard and you will feel alot better about it since you built it. I have faith in you. You'll definitely want to either buy or borrow a nice electric drill to drill in the wood screws. There are lot to drill in.

Eddie

stevey87
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
For now, I've decided to make 29 top 29 bottm tank.

Eddie
02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
In that case, if you use 4X4s, make it 39 inches long. This will ensure you have the 30 inches for the tank plus the 2 each 4X4s which will give you 38 inches and just add an inch for a little space on each side. ;)

Eddie

stevey87
02-12-2009, 10:59 PM
What is 4x4

Eddie
02-12-2009, 11:02 PM
A 4X4 is a standard piece of wood used often. Its 4 inches by 4 inches and you can have it at any length.

http://brewer123.home.comcast.net/~brewer123/projects/calfblock/calfblock.jpg

Eddie

stevey87
02-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Is it heavey? expensive? water resistant?

Eddie
02-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Is it heavey? expensive? water resistant?

It can be heavy, you can normally choose the quality. I bought the cheaper stuff since it did not seem as heavy or solid. It's still super strong. I don't know what it will cost for you. I built a 29 that can hold a 20 underneath and it was 17 dollars for wood and they cut it to size. I also used a water sealer for exterior decks and it works GREAT. Water just beads off of it.

Eddie

stevey87
02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
What is ther water sealer and where can I get it?

Eddie
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Should be able to get it at the hardware store also. Ask the workers for a water/rain sealer for wooden decks. It should be easy to find, no problems.

Eddie

stevey87
02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
For now I'm going to make 29 on top and bottom stand cuz i got no room for 55 yet. Could anyone please give me exactly what size of what I need to buy? Thanks a lot And which brand for water coating is good?

Eddie
02-13-2009, 08:45 PM
For now I'm going to make 29 on top and bottom stand cuz i got no room for 55 yet. Could anyone please give me exactly what size of what I need to buy? Thanks a lot And which brand for water coating is good?

Use the tank calculator link I gave you and use 39" long X 12.5" wide and 36" tall.

Et viola

stevey87
02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
And any 4x4 wood is good? I'll probably go for cheapest.

Eddie
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
And any 4x4 wood is good? I'll probably go for cheapest.

yup, thats what I did. It was much lighter too

Eddie