PDA

View Full Version : It's a BOY! and a GIRL..and.?????? baby blues!!

Jules4me
01-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member and wanted to share this with you. I set my tank up and waited. And waited (and waited). The "nursery" is finally ready and the babies are on the way!!! :balloon::p . I am so happy and excited!! They will arrive on Tuesday....ten baby Blue Diamonds.
I do want some advice, PLEEEEEZE. Since the babes are being shipped...is there anything special I can do to ease the stress of the trip? I've never gotten a fish via the Fed Ex guy. I have all of their favorite foods...got the list from the breeder. Got the water changing (as we will jokingly refer to as diaper changes until they are half dollar sized) system in place.

My big plans for Tuesday....make coffee and watch the Discus. (and post on here since the tank is near my computer)

Thank you all for the posts and different topics you discuss. I have been reading so much. There is more knowledge on this forum than I could ever absorb.

Wish me much luck,
Jules

acroken
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to Simply Jules.
When you receive the shipment, open the bags and drip water through a piece of airline hose from your tank into the bags to acclimate them. Do this slowly, so you will need to crimp or tie into a loose knot the airline hose and start the suction. The acclimation should take approx 1/2 hour to 45min and at the end you should double the amount of water which was originally in the bag.About two drips per second.Another way is to just add a small amount of tank water every 10 minutes to the bag, again this is done slowly.When you transfer the fish from the bag to the tank do not pour any bag water into the new tank, just net the fish over a bucket and release into tank. Do not feed much the first day and gradually increase there food over the next few days. It lessens there stress if you leave there lights out once release for a few hours. sounds like you are all set other wise. Good luck with the new babies. Keep us posted.

Kenny

Jules4me
01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the great advice, Kenny. I will def. use the drip method. They are going to be in a quiet room, I"m thinking not to offer any food for the first 4-6hrs. or until visible signs of stress are gone.
Do you think the tank temp should be left at 84 degrees (where I plan to keep it for them) or shoud I increase/decrease?
Thanks again for the tip,
Jules

dpt8
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
I think you should take a poll plus there are past threads on a difference of acclimating discus.. I open the bags, take the discus out carefully with my hands and place them in the tank. The end. No dripping because that will cause ammonia burn.. Once the dirty water in the bag hits the air and you add warmer water to it you are changing the chemistry.. All that water the discus have been in becomes VERY toxic.. I have shipped many discus in plus Hans will attest to this procedure.. That was a discussion at one of our Northeast Discus meetings.. Good luck, David T

Jules4me
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
David, Thanks for that input, maybe I should take a poll....if I knew how!!:p So how do you get them used to the change in the quality of the water?
I'd really like some input on when to offer food for the first time and the temp of the tank upon receiving the fish. As I said in my last post, I'm thinking I should wait until they are moving about the tank and don't look stressed before offering food. I don't mean to sound oblivious, it's just that this is a new route for me and I'm thinking this will be different from a drive home from the lfs, right?:confused:
Jules

calihawker
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I beleive the consensus is if the ph is going from low (in the bag) to high then keep the bag closed, float to match temps and then put them directly in the tank. If it's the other way around, high to low ph. Then do an acclimation drip.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong?

Steve

rickztahone
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
David, Thanks for that input, maybe I should take a poll....if I knew how!!:p So how do you get them used to the change in the quality of the water?
I'd really like some input on when to offer food for the first time and the temp of the tank upon receiving the fish. As I said in my last post, I'm thinking I should wait until they are moving about the tank and don't look stressed before offering food. I don't mean to sound oblivious, it's just that this is a new route for me and I'm thinking this will be different from a drive home from the lfs, right?:confused:
Jules

most breeders will recommend going a full 24hrs before feeding. i believe this is a great time frame and keep in mind when you do feed them after the 24hrs they need to be fed lightly. do not overfeed or you might cause bloat.

HTH (hope that helps)

Patr1ck
01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I beleive the consensus is if the ph is going from low (in the bag) to high then keep the bag closed, float to match temps and then put them directly in the tank. If it's the other way around, high to low ph. Then do an acclimation drip.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong?

Steve

I agree. The discus can handle a ph swing from low (whats in the shipping bag) to high (usually whats in your tank, unless you have pure ro or something) very easily. If it goes high to low it is more of a shock to them. I just float the bags for 20-30mins and then open them and immediately place the discus by hand into the tank. Once the bag is opened the ph starts to rise and causes the ammonia to take on a more toxic form, not good.
Also, when you first open their shipping box, do it in a darker room so they arent shocked by the sudden appearance of light. Then slowly bring them out into the light and into their new home.:)

P

Tropical Haven
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
There are a few variable that you need to be aware of. I totally agree with floating the bags to get them to the same temp as your tank water and opening them afterwards taking them out and placing them into the tank. The fish will do well with this method except if the water in the bags are a higher PH than what's in the tank. It will not hurt the fish if the water in the bag is a lower PH than the tank water but if it is the other way around the fish could become ill or even die from PH shock if he water in the bag is significantly higher than the water in the tank. Hope this helps.

Jules4me
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
WOW! Thank you so much. You guys are WONDERFUL!!
I think I will go with the majority ruling on this. I'm going from high to low but only by a bit....7.2-7.4 (bag)to 6.8-7.0 (my tank). Soooo....now what??I will just leave them to check out the "new digs" for a day before offering food, lights out...curtains drawn. With all the great information, I might turn out to be good at this.
Jules
P.S. Does everyone agree on 84 degrees?

GrillMaster
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Welcome to "Simply" Jules!! Sounds like yer pretty excited. Dont blame ya one bit. Do what everyone else suggested...Float the bags to get the temps pretty even. Open em up and gently place the fish in the tank with your 84 deg water. :)

Tropical Haven
01-30-2009, 03:43 PM
84 degree is just fine and with the little bit of ph difference you have, the plop and drop method will work just fine for you. Make sure you take plenty of picture when you receive them. :D

William Palumbo
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I would raise the temp. up to 86-88. I usually add non-iodized salt to the aquarium water at the rate of 1 TBS. per 10 gallons to help reduce stress and help breathing. Where are you getting your fish from? What size are they going to be? Also...what sized tank are you putting them in?...If shipped correctly from a experienced breeder/broker the acclimation is easy. Probally your questions are best answered by your supplier, as he or she should know(hopefully) on how to acclimate their fish...Bill

Jules4me
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Welcome to "Simply" Jules!! Sounds like yer pretty excited. Dont blame ya one bit. Do what everyone else suggested...Float the bags to get the temps pretty even. Open em up and gently place the fish in the tank with your 84 deg water. :)

Thank you, Mark. I am as happy as that penguin in your picture!!!
Just a little nervous because this is outside my norm. Not new to the hobby....just to the Discus part. I am sure I'm going to LUUUUV this, though.
Jules

Patr1ck
01-31-2009, 03:55 AM
84 Degrees sounds good to me too.

P

April
01-31-2009, 04:24 AM
if the breeders tank was 7.4 or 7.2..doesnt mean thats what the bag will be. the ph lowers as thhey travel due to ammonia building up. im sure when the bags arrive they will be lower than what his tank is at. might be 6.8.
check to be sure..test the bag ph. see what it is.
good luck with the new babies..let us know how it goes.

Jules4me
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Great! 84 degrees it is. I am going to try the "plop & drop" method of release
with fingers crossed.

Bill, you asked me a couple of questions about the babes. They are quarter sized right now. They will be housed in a 55 gal (thin pebble layer, driftwood, fake plants for now) until they are about 2 1/2". Then I will move 4 or 5 of them into another 55 gal. tank and then....:). For now, I just want them to ALL make it through the trip & release.
I will post pics as soon as I get some,
Jules

Jules4me
01-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh, and I'm going to talk to the breeder today to get the exact foods list and find out when he stopped feeding them and anything else I can find out to make it easy on them.
Jules
April....good idea!!

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
They're HERE!!! and ALL are alive!!! I am still floating them but they look really good.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I'll add pics as soon as I figure that out!!
Jules

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Here is a pic of the new "fishy digs" The second one is of the "float" with all the little fishy bags sticking out of the top. (I plan to document this whole experience). If the pics don't show up...somebody help!!;):p
Jules

Porkchop
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
No pics, something went wrong...

Anthony

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I KNOW!!! I hit post reply....manage attachments...browsed...uploaded....ta.da....or NOT!!:mad:

rickztahone
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is a pic of the new "fishy digs" The second one is of the "float" with all the little fishy bags sticking out of the top. (I plan to document this whole experience). If the pics don't show up...somebody help!!;):p
Jules

no pictures, try one of two things:
1) click post reply, click on the paper clip icon. click browse and search for the pictures in your computer files and upload that way.
2) go to a website like photobucket which is free and sign up and upload through there. it give you the tag so that you can copy and paste onto here.

HTH

rickztahone
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I KNOW!!! I hit post reply....manage attachments...browsed...uploaded....ta.da....or NOT!!:mad:

make sure once you browse and it uploads into that small window, close that window down and go to where you are typing and hit the paper clip icon again, your pictures will be there
:D

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Try, try again

rickztahone
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Try, try again

that tank looks awesome but i hate to break it to you, it's going to be a lot of work to clean that out everyday for your little ones. i honestly think BB is the way to go to growout. i didn't get it before when members use to always say this but after doing it myself in my 55 i see why. you see all the waste that gets produced in one day that you wouldn't normally see with a gravel bottom. i would leave the driftwood since it isn't that difficult to move it around and clean under it. this is just IMO of course, just trying to make your life more simple

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I know I'm going to have to break down and remove the 'pretties". Well, me being the newbie at this...what should the babies be doing right now?...been released for about and hour.
Thanks so much,
Jules

Lexopt
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
If they've only been in the tank for an hour, I would expect them to be schooled up in a corner of the tank or behind something, near the bottom of the tank.

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Do you think they should be lying on the bottom? Not all, but some...the rest are doing exactly what you said. Occasionally I see little eyes looking around and then they disappear again. Right now, it's lights out and the room is dark, also. I am viewing from a distance. Thank you for your help.
Jules

Lexopt
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I've only received shipped fish 5 times, 2 discus boxes and 3 angel boxes. The last discus box, 1 fish intermittently layed on its side for 2-3 hours. It would get up and swim for a minute and then lay back down for 5-6 minutes.

I was the first time I'd seen a fish do this, I was a little alarmed but it lived- I couldn't even tell which one it was the next day.

I've read other posts describing similar behavior after shipping, if its only been a couple hrs I wouldn't worry too much, esp. if most of them are up.

Nothing to do at this point but wait and see.

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, Thank you!!! That makes me feel better. I'm waiting.....and seeing. There is one little guy I'm kinda worried about. He has been in the same spot in the tank, on his side since I released him. Has NOT moved but is still breathing, not rapidly...just breathing. Here is the $2 question......should I add a bit of salt?
Jules

Lexopt
02-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I never have, but it seems recommended by many here on the forum.

Jules4me
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
That's done. Used 1 TBS. Per 10 gal. for stress relief. Seems to have helped. Little guy is kinda up..not lying flat on his side. I can't see them now because it's dark. Hope they are all o.k. Thanks for posting so much help.
Jules
P.S. I have a good friend heading your way right now to help out with the storm damage.

Jules4me
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Looks like we are at 100% survival!!!! YAY!! everybody is hanging out on one end of the tank. They have eaten three very small meals since this afternoon. 1) FBW 2)FBS 3)FBH. I can not wait to get them on the seafood mix Basshead uses. I will wait until they are eating 4-5 X a day. Thanks for all the input. You "guys" are GREAT.
Jules

Darren's Discus
02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Jules,
all the best with them,look forward to the pics !:D

cheers:

Jules4me
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Here is a pic of the new babes..I plan to take many!! This was yesterday when they were still hanging tightly together in the corner. They are still little so it's hard to tell what they will look like as adults. I really wanted to see how I was going to like Discus keeping before dropping a pocketful. I will love them and give them the BEST life, even if they aren't perfect...or I will find a good plastic surgeon and buy them whatever they were born without!!:p:p:p
Jules

Eddie
02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Little pups, feed them well and good clean water everyday, it will really change how they develop.

My BDs looked average when I got them but now with my feeding and WCing regiment, they are sliding into first!

Good luck with them Jules
Eddie

Jules4me
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Little pups, feed them well and good clean water everyday, it will really change how they develop.

My BDs looked average when I got them but now with my feeding and WCing regiment, they are sliding into first!

Good luck with them Jules
Eddie

Little pups for now....wait a month or two and see what Basshead's Seafood mix "Gro-cubes " do for them!! :p

Eddie
02-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Little pups for now....wait a month or two and see what Basshead's Seafood mix "Gro-cubes " do for them!! :p

You bet!

Eddie

Jules4me
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
It's been a week today since my blue diamonds arrived. Thanks to all of your advice....they are ALL doing well in their new home. Eating a variety of foods (mainly seafood mix, Eddie;)) and wondering why I stare at them so much.

Having said all that...Is it normal for them to be different in size? I mean, some are bigger than quarter and some are smaller, like nickels. They are all from the same batch of fry. All seem to be eating well....but there is a VERY noticable difference in size. Not that size matters, mind you.....or does it???I'm wondering if the little guys are o.k. I know it's not time to pass the judgement on the swans and the ugly ducklings but I'm just curious as to what I should be looking for.....and when.
Once again, thanks for any input!!
Jules

Eddie
02-10-2009, 09:27 AM
It's been a week today since my blue diamonds arrived. Thanks to all of your advice....they are ALL doing well in their new home. Eating a variety of foods (mainly seafood mix, Eddie;)) and wondering why I stare at them so much.

Having said all that...Is it normal for them to be different in size? I mean, some are bigger than quarter and some are smaller, like nickels. They are all from the same batch of fry. All seem to be eating well....but there is a VERY noticable difference in size. Not that size matters, mind you.....or does it???I'm wondering if the little guys are o.k. I know it's not time to pass the judgement on the swans and the ugly ducklings but I'm just curious as to what I should be looking for.....and when.
Once again, thanks for any input!!
Jules

Hey Jules, glad to hear! It is totally normal, especially in your case since you have a nice large group of young juvenile discus. Babies always have the fast growers and the slow growers. What you are experiencing is the survival of the fittest. We are all not created equally and the same goes with discus. If they all developed uniformally, it would be a perfect world. Keep us updated with their development and pictures! Love to see how they are growing with the seafood mix. :)

Eddie

Jim Curtis
02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Any new pics? You got them yesterday around noon so by now they should all be 6" and forming pairs!:p

Dont you wish?

Those are little guys, you've got a long road ahead of you, good luck and keep updating this thread with pics. I like seeing photos of discus as they grow.

Jules4me
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Jim...some of them are 7" and have already layed eggs!!!...LOL. I actually got them one week ago today. They are little...some nickels, some quarters. I have taken pictures three times. I'm trying to monitor the growth pretty closely. They are fed small meals every 2-3 hours ( i am lucky... they are in my home office) from 6am through 10 pm. I'm going to post pics from day one and one month so I can get some input on the growth rate. This is so much fun!!
Jules

Eddie
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, Jim...some of them are 7" and have already layed eggs!!!...LOL. I actually got them one week ago today. They are little...some nickels, some quarters. I have taken pictures three times. I'm trying to monitor the growth pretty closely. They are fed small meals every 2-3 hours ( i am lucky... they are in my home office) from 6am through 10 pm. I'm going to post pics from day one and one month so I can get some input on the growth rate. This is so much fun!!
Jules

Sounds like you are on the right track Jules! Can't wait to see the pictures in a few weeks!

Eddie