PDA

View Full Version : The Monster has its first eggs ever!!

jonboy1969
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
This is the first time I have ever had eggs!! I came home from work and they were on the glass! I am so excited. I dont know what happens next. but I look at the next few days as a learning experience!.

check them out live, see if they make it. Ill keep posting the development of this new addition :)
http://www.jongrove.com/jon/fish/tank.html

let me know what you think of my new addition to my tank. Im up for good and bad news.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=143

DiscusDude85
01-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow is all i can say. The growth is unreal!. Awesome tank great job.

Joe

Eddie
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
This is the first time I have ever had eggs!! I came home from work and they were on the glass! I am so excited. I dont know what happens next. but I look at the next few days as a learning experience!.

check them out live, see if they make it. Ill keep posting the development of this new addition :)
http://www.jongrove.com/jon/fish/tank.html

let me know what you think of my new addition to my tank. Im up for good and bad news.

Which is the new addition?

MostlyDiscus
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Intresting Jon, I might pull the cam closer as to be able to see the eggs. Ed

jonboy1969
01-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks Joe,
DiscusDude the new additions are the eggs.

ok Ed, Will move the camera in the am. thanks for checking!

jonboy1969
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
just moved the camera for a better shot of the eggs.

MostlyDiscus
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Ok see them now. That tang is the female fanning the eggs atm. I see her tube is still down. So that is a pure tang pair you are working with.

jonboy1969
01-30-2009, 11:13 PM
thanks for all the help Ed :)
Brandi and I have been checking in on them all night!

GrillMaster
01-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Love the live feed! :thumbsup:

Your tank has developed into an awsome plant festival in 4 months jonboy! Very well done! Good luck with your eggs! :)

William-LIC
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
great video feed! i'm looking forward to the show!
I really like the planted tank too.... using CO2?

good luck with the fry

FLGirl1977
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Fantastic job! That growth is unreal! Just saw her fanning the eggs... :o

Discus-Hans
01-31-2009, 03:12 AM
Jon,

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS (did I say gorgeous?????) tank.

Only 1 remark, hope you don't mind, the sand in the front, if still possible (I know not easy) but make that lower so you won't see it in the front.

If you don't want to lower it, make a wooden strip (same as your cabinet) I think that would be the "finishing touch" for this GORGEOUS tank.

Hans

jonboy1969
01-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone for checking in and for all the responses. It really makes my day even for the smallest reply to my tank. It took me over 2 years and alot of help from MostlyDiscus (ask my wife) to get The Monster to this stage and ready for discus.

Here are some answers to the questions.

I am using a 20lb tank of CO2 and a computer controlled diffuser along with yamato green plant fertilizer.

Thanks for the idea Hans on the front of the tank! Ill give it a go. I also wanted to do something with my moonlights on the top. right now its just a strip of wood with the LED lights screwed in. its not that pretty. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated too.

well time to go feed them some bloodworms and shrimp :)

jonboy1969
01-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Well a few hours after the morning feeding. I cant find any eggs. No idea what happened!! Im not into breeding so I have no answer. could of been alot of thing I guess. well it was fun while it lasted.

MostlyDiscus
01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
They will lay again, and most likely in the same spot. Hang in there.

Hattawi
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
When you see eggs again, do not turn the lights off. The eggs may get eaten.

jonboy1969
01-31-2009, 04:43 PM
thanks!! hope they show up again :) Ive green when it comes to breeding discus :) learning more every day. Im not expecting much in the way of breeding in a heavily planted tank, need to find out if anyone else has luck in a planted tank. I got a new higher rez video cam. I might try and hook it up today.

casw
02-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Heh, I keep trying to look at your discus webcam at the wrong times. Got to remember to see it tomorrow during the day.

The plant growth pics are really incredible. Seems hard to plan ahead and imagine what it's going to look like when the plants are full grown. I've seen people do this with corals and I don't know how they plan it like that.

Discus-Hans
02-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Casw,

it's not that hard if you know how your plants are if the "mature"

Bigger plants in the back, Valesneria in the corners, "grass types half way to front, etc.

Hans

jonboy1969
02-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Well thanks Discus-Hans you motivated me to do some upgrades on the 'look' of the tank. Ive taken the lights from hanging off the ceiling to sitting on a custom wood stand. I also remade my moonlight strip and put trim up where you suggested. Thanks for all your input. and thanks everyone who wrote me or sent me a private msg about my tank. It means alot since I am not a 'pro'. Im just a wanna be, and trying my best.

thanks
jon

here is a link to the new tank pic.

scolley
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Jon - tank looks GREAT! I know this is a thread about your monster's eggs, so please forgive the change of subject... but I'd love to know more about your light (Tec T5's, but what total wattage, and how long?), your water (all the obvious w/ w/c frequency), and your fert regimine.

Thanks! Great job. :)

PS - Also LOVE the live cam!

jonboy1969
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I should of started a new thread (and did) Ive gotten a few messages about my tank.
Here are a few stats on the tank.
(8) 36" T5 HO's at 39 watts per.
I do minimal water changes (ive been told to do more by MANY) I think the bio load handles alot of keeping the tank stable. I do 40-50 gallon changes 2-3x week.
I have a 55 gallon RO holding tank in an adjoining utility room thats aerated and heated.
I have a 55 gallon sump which hold (3) 500 watt heaters. The sump has bio balls and filter pads. The back of the tank has two overflows with sponge filters. (I clean them once or twice a week). The sump has a float valve that keeps the water level.
The whole tank, is monitored and controlled with an AquaController 3 (AC3). I monitor pH, Temp, and ORP. The lights and LEDs are also controlled by the AC3.
To do water changes all I have to do is open a valve under one of the overflow boxes, the AC3 then activates a pump in the 55 gallon holding tank to refill the lost water. I have started adding about 10-20% tap water to the tank so its not pure RO water. The AC3 regulates the pH with a 20lb CO2 tanks and an Aqua Medic 1000 CO2 reactor. I use Yamato Green only. its a liquid fertilizer. I think it is the best. Ive tried many types of fertilizers over the years and found that this liquid fertilizer to be excellent. Of course, I also recommend a proper substrate for your plants, here is mine. I have over 120 lbs of topsoil mixed with a bit of vermiculite under an inch of sand topped off by some lager sandstone gravel. the plants love it. I keep the pH between 6.6 and 6.7 and hold a temp of 82 and 82.5. ORP is held between 400-450 with a 20-50 gallon water change if its exceeding that range. I really dont like to do 'big' water changes, Im not trying to 'grow' or 'breed' any discus just keep them happy, healthy and eating and looking well. I might have missed something. If so let me know.
Always happy to dish out information. even if its not the 'right' way to keep a discus tank. :)

MostlyDiscus
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Tank looks great Jon, Are you using any water declorinators for the new tap water comming in?

jonboy1969
02-08-2009, 03:04 PM
No, just keep (2) 5 gallon buckets filled. let them sit about a day or so. Ive got a chlorine test kit. It reads zero after a day for the buckets.

MostlyDiscus
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Ok great... might want to check in cloramaines too. They seem to last longer and are more pevalent as the water compaines change there water make up. Just a thought... h8 to see you lose any of your pets.:angel:

Darren's Discus
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
That is one nice tank !.

cheers

jonboy1969
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Well one of the pairs just layed some eggs again for the second time. Im leaving the lights on 24/7. I have no idea how they will do. I can just watch and wait. I am not expecting much, but I am excited none the less. This is my first discus tank so be kind :)
http://www.jongrove.com/jon/fish/pics/eggs.jpg
http://www.jongrove.com/jon/fish/pics/eggs_small.jpg

jonboy1969
02-12-2009, 08:14 PM
A second pair was discoverd to have laid eggs under a leaf! :)
http://www.jongrove.com/jon/fish/pics/Eggs2.jpg

wonder if they will make it in this Planted Tank? Anyone ever have luck in a heavily planted aquarium?

Eddie
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, you must have something in the water there. Couldn't really tell much from the second pair but the first pair looks beautiful. They look super nice. Great job with the tank renovation as well.

Best of luck
Eddie

jonboy1969
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I have no idea!! im just trying to keep them healthy and happy! Im not a breeder and by no stretch a pro. Its a great hobby. Im glad I found this forum, it brings a new level of enjoyment to keeping and caring for the fish and plants in the tank. Every reply is very much appreciated. thanks Eddie :)

Its real hard to get an angle on the second group of eggs since its under the leaf. My wife discovered them, I was too busy looking at the other set of eggs on the glass to notice! :)

Eddie
02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey....I wish had the same problem. You're a lucky guy!

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
02-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Looks like the female from pair #2 is clearing some space. Can you see the eggs on the leaf? Are they dark?

Ed

jonboy1969
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
It looks like they are mostly dark with a few white ones. the leaf is now bent, so its hard to see under it.

MostlyDiscus
02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Sounds like they may hatch then.. how long have they been there, or do you know?

jonboy1969
02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
the first set (on the glass) is on day 2. and the ones on the leafs i am not sure. but at least 24-48 hours is my best guess.

Eddie
06-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Any updates on these little babies?

jonboy1969
06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3657840217_a4b122f9f8.jpg

I have about 35-45 juvies swimming around. I will be looking for a good home for them soon. They are very active and eating well. Its hard to get a picture of all of them since they tend to hide and swim around the plants waiting for the next feeding. They swim rather fast and thus getting a non blurry picture on 'aquarium' mode is difficult :)

Eddie
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the update John, so they are pigeon based right? Are they growing at a good rate in your opinion being in the community tank? Thanks for the info

Eddie