PDA

View Full Version : How Important is it to treat the filter

TankWatcher
01-31-2009, 01:10 AM
I am planning on removing my discus from their 4ft home, into a temporary smaller QT for treatment. I don't have a microscope (will be trying to rectify this soon) but clues point to spiro. So treatment in the QT, means their 4ft home & filter aren't being treated.

Is this a concern?

Eddie
01-31-2009, 03:17 AM
I am planning on removing my discus from their 4ft home, into a temporary smaller QT for treatment. I don't have a microscope (will be trying to rectify this soon) but clues point to spiro. So treatment in the QT, means their 4ft home & filter aren't being treated.

Is this a concern?

I think you will be fine Robyn. To my limited knowledge, I believe spiro needs a host to survive. I'll do some more research.

Eddie

Eddie
01-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Yeah Robyn,

All I could find was that Spiro is spread from discus to discus or fish to fish (so needs a host) and that it is passed by the feces. Sometimes discus will basically mouth poo and spit it out. That's the easy way for it to be transmitted. Since Spiro is found in the intestines.

I also read that all discus have spiro but that otherwise healthy fish will not be affected by it. Its when they become stressed by anything that there immune system backs down and then spiro begins to do it's deadly magic. That's when the white stringy poo comes out. :o

Well I spoke to soon, found this under Management of Hexamita in Ornamental Cichlids

Since hexamita can be kept alive in laboratory media, it is assumed that it is an inhabitant of aquaria where organic material has been allowed to accumulate. Cleaning of gravel and filter materials will assist in eliminating the organism from the environment. It may be advisable to periodically check broodstock for subclinical hexamita infections. Even though the fish may not be sick, low levels of the parasite may have an adverse effect on reproductive performance or may flare up under conditions of stress. These subclinical infections can be easily treated with a medicated feed before real problems develop.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/hexamita2.shtml

HTH
Eddie

TankWatcher
01-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks Eddie :)