PDA

View Full Version : Discus decided to sulk?

DiscusKeeper403
01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Well,

I set up a new tank a few days ago a 90 gallon. At the moment there is only a group of four semi-adult Discus. The first few days everything was going perfect! I did I water change that night and tested the water everything was fine ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 0 and 5.

Yesterday I woke up and my one of my Discus didn't seem to be doing to well the others were great. He stayed in the back of the tank, hiding behind the intake of the filter, or at the other top corner of the tank by the bubble wall. He would eat but not as vigorously. His color was much darker. I thought I was in for some trouble. That day I did another water change and tested the water, everything was the same as the day before. Today I woke up and the poorly Discus was back to normal. Came to greet me at the front of the tank, was the first to eat and his color is pretty much normal. Why did he decide to act all funny yesterday? Was he sulking because of the new tank?

dishpanhands
01-31-2009, 07:19 PM
a new tank has a few thing going on in it and one of them is that they are setting up a pecking order and while this happens you might see one or two get a little, lets say tired. you do want to keep an eye on them for sure but if he looks normal today just watch him. you may want to add a few more fish...hth

DiscusKeeper403
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info.

I talked to another Discus keeper who said one of his fish will do this from time to time.

All the fish in the tank were in a grow out tank together before hand. I switched media from that tank into the new tank too. You said he might be tired? Hopefully so. This new tank is about 3 times bigger and he has definitely been getting more exercise.

Group is fine which I know normally doesn't work, but I plan on getting a few Discus from a person who supplies Kenny Discus.

Eddie
01-31-2009, 07:47 PM
This new tank is about 3 times bigger and he has definitely been getting more exercise.

LOL, that was funny....they do get alot of exercise since they swim all day. :)

Eddie

dishpanhands
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM
You said he might be tired?

Its more like his way of telling the other fish he don't want to play no more.. :)

DiscusKeeper403
01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Haha alright well thanks for the replies. As long as he is back to normal, that's the most important thing. :)

Elaine Bryant
02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I have one that hides like that from time to time to, I can't understand why but I thought maybe he was being harrassed by the yo-yo loach. (Are yo-yo's nocturnal?) I've seen him chase the clown loach and discus to but its just a short chase and he retreats to his "house" Sometimes the discus will stay hidden when I feed and sometimes he comes out and acts normal. Theres always one to worry about isn't there, I guess it keeps us on our toes.

Eddie
02-02-2009, 04:07 AM
All retreaters are ill.....

Discus should be in your face all time begging for food. If you stick your arm in the water,they should be trying to rip it off. :D

No but really, a shy discus is not healthy, illness of some sort. One of those things you learn when you keep healthy discus.....;)

If it's a new addition, yeah..shyness is fine but not for long.

Take care
Eddie

Roxanne
02-02-2009, 06:20 AM
I've noticed some are more boisterous than others, they don't all have the same personality...some also are a little spooked after a move, takes time to adjust to new surroundings....

Roxanne

Eddie
02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I've noticed some are more boisterous than others, they don't all have the same personality...some also are a little spooked after a move, takes time to adjust to new surroundings....

Roxanne

Currently first time owning wilds but have kept discus off and on for 13 years. Although the wilds have a different personality if you will, none of them have been shy that wasn't ill. That's in my experience.

DiscusKeeper403
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Roxanne

Yeah it's just odd because I added him two days before hand and in those two days he was his regular old self, it was only on the third day that he decided to sulk. Either way he was and is back to his normal self. Always begging for food and at the front of the tank. :D