PDA

View Full Version : Discus beautiful color and pattern questions

shorjai
01-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi, i am very new to simply discus. just wondering at what size or age can you see the beautiful color and pattern on their body???

Thanks,

Eddie
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi there, welcome to Simply!

I guess it really depends on the strain, some fish will express alot of color and pattern at an early age. The colors/patterns continue to develop until adulthood which is usually around 9-10 months.

Any specific strain you are wondering about?

Eddie

shorjai
01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
i would said red turquoise and pigeon blood.... at a size of 2", can u really see any coloring and etc

Eddie
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
i would said red turquoise and pigeon blood.... at a size of 2", can u really see any coloring and etc

You can see some coloring but those 2 strains will develop more and more until adulthood. In both strains, the lines will get more defined and become brighter. I love those 2 strains, the pigeon was a classic for me when I started in 96.

;)

RainbowSnails
02-01-2009, 10:50 AM
You might want to see if any of our sponsors are near you. I went to one (dan at HAW) and he had juvis and adults so I could really see the difference. It was great.

Terri

rickztahone
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi, i am very new to simply discus. just wondering at what size or age can you see the beautiful color and pattern on their body???

Thanks,

a word of advise, if you decide to shop outside of our sponsors (which i wouldn't do) keep in mind that if really small discus under maybe 2" have really pronounced patter they might be stunted.

John_Nicholson
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Blue diamonds normally get their color fairly young, but most fish will take at least 5 months to start showingmuch, with most being fully developed at about 10 months. If you see 2 or 3 inch discus with a lot of color I would break and run. Most of the timeit means that they are either stunted or hormoned.

-john

Apistomaster
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
My old strain of Red Turquoise had good color from 2 inches to 3 inches and they were not stunted.
That and other experience has lead me to believe it depends on the strain, all other thing being equal.
The young Stendker Brilliant Turquoise I have seem to need to be larger than 2 inches to show much color but I know will they turn out very nice.

Dutch dude
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
My RT Stendkers looked like alenquers when I just received them at the size of barely 3 inch and started to defelop their paterns and colors more at the size of 4 inch up to 5 inch (around 10 months) and are hardly changed in the last couple of months if it comes to coloration.